Calling all women!!

Options
Do you seem to put on weight when your on your period(or due on), even if you've been eating the same?

Replies

• loztredders
    loztredders Posts: 142
    Options
    Yes, its water retention, for me personally it's usually about 4lbs
  • EstherZue
    EstherZue Posts: 39
    Options
    Oh God yes, I do and I hate it. The first time this happened it was like 1 pound more on the scales one morning, the next day another 2 pounds and then another 1 pound. I really wanted to break down crying until I made the connection. Now I don't weigh myself for a full week to make sure I don't see climbing numbers. Nothing is more demotivating -.-
  • AlabasterJar68
    Options
    I usually have a gain a week before I start, but during I can lose 3 pounds of water.
  • daisymullins
    Options
    Oh thank god, I was so worried! Do you know why this is?
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Yes, its water retention, for me personally it's usually about 4lbs

Same here.. .bloating, ughh...
    I try to get as much water in as possible and really stay away from sodium to minimize it.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yes, a lot. I hate it.
  • Andwynn
    Andwynn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I used to before I dropped my half-stone earlier this year, but I seem to be stuck at permanent 11.5st atm. Maybe my scales are broken.
  • Mommy2Avaj
    Mommy2Avaj Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yep. Usually about 2-3 lbs. I'm guessing water retention, buy I could be wrong.
  • DanetteNel
    DanetteNel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I also find that the scale goes up - yes, very disheartening :sad:

But I regularly measure my body fat percentage with a pair of calipers, and as long as that measurement does not go up, I feel a lot better.

:flowerforyou:

23998327.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • daisymullins
    Options
    after all the hard work you've put in for 3 weeks, bloody mother nature decides to dishearten you! annoying eh! so is it all down to water retention?
  • daisymullins
    Options
    also, do you lose the weight you've 'put on' during your period after its finished, or do you have to shed that extra weight too?
  • niamhoneill94
    Options
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    it seems every couple of months I gain around my period and then it's hard to shed but some months I don't gain at all..perhaps I eat too little or too much in months I gain ? Not sure but it's annoying :-) I keep losing and regaining the same 4-5 pounds over the course of a year but when it's only 5 pounds I am battling then I think I have a little less to worry about then some ;-)
  • Andwynn
    Andwynn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I was fluctuating more, I think I naturally lost it around the end and went back to 'normal'. I've found the only 'sensible' time to weigh anyhow is on getting up - after having a wee, before getting dressed.
  • EstherZue
    EstherZue Posts: 39
    Options
    also, do you lose the weight you've 'put on' during your period after its finished, or do you have to shed that extra weight too?

yes i think you do. at least i seem to. for example, this past week i had my period, I was working out really hard and eating super clean, and i stayed at 68.4 the entire week and at the last day of my period I gained to reach 69 kg. Oh I was furious and went for an aggressive jog in the park. This morning lost 800g. I'm sure that's not all fat, that's bound to be some water as well.

Just weigh yourself daily (without freaking out!) and you will get a better understanding of how your body works and what kind of food/exercise it responds to.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself, but I usually end up looking pregnant because my belly bloats up so much.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    If it's just water retention, it will go down by itself soon enough. If you are the sort of person who craves chocolate and gives in during your period, well, then it won't just be water retention. :)