under carbed and over proteined - not losing weight. =(

Options
Gosh I'm jealous of some of you (in a good way),

Ihave been eating 1300 calories religiously, some bad days, but I always work off the extra calories I ate. I have not lost one single pound. I was using a different tracker.

According to MFP, at around 1300 calories and working out 5 days a week, I will lose 3 whole pounds by July 11. Seriously? I have 20 lbs to lose. I weigh 140 and I am only 5' tall. This is frustrating.

so far I am under the recommendation for carbs and over the recommendation for protein. I find I can manage my blood sugars better with fewer carbs and protein snacks in between meals. I am a type 1 diabetic.

I have been working out pretty hard. Is it possible that upping my carbs will help me lose weight? At this rate, it will take me an entire year to lose 20lb. Geez.

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    As a type 1 diabetic you will need to adjust insulin dosage if low carbing as you already know. It may take you the year to lose the 20lbs because of the diabetes. Just accept that because 1 year later you will be at goal weight. Not as fast as you wanted but still get there.
  • leanne2376
    leanne2376 Posts: 217
    Options
    Patrick Holford has created a diet called the low GL diet - its worth looking at.

It's all about controlling the blood sugar level with food and supplements.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Im 5' tall and was 146lbs size 7/8 (no diabetes though) I worked out 3 days a week. I was eating 1200 calories and it took 9 weeks to lose 10 pounds, then nothing after that, but when i upped my calories to 1500, working out 4-5 times a week (mostly 4) im now 131 pounds and a size 3. its not about the scale now, but im tone and pretty lean. maybe we can help each other.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You don't have a huge amount to lose, so 1/5 pound a week is probably realistic.
    Yes it might take a bit of time - but if you use that time to develop healthy eating behaviours then you won't ever have to "diet" again - you'll have the tools and skills to stay at a healthy weight for life.

Most people say don't worry about going over your protein and being under carbs - but if you have medical issues it would probably be worth asking your medical team about the most appropriate ratios for you
  • hotlilteacher
    Options
    Imchicbad,

Well you lost a lb a week! That's great! I have been working out for 4 weeks, tracking calories, reduced to 1300 calories, and nothing! Well I lost 1.5 inches from my waist. Wish it were my hips and thighs. LOL.

I'm curious, did you follow the food allowences here or did your trainer give you a plan?

I am currently doing 30 to 40 minutes of cardio 3 x week and the Exhale Core Fusion DVD 30 day challenge. Love their workouts!

I could use a "buddy" Thanks! And based on your picture - you look FANTASTIC girl!
  • hotlilteacher
    Options
    Thanks leanne2376,

I have followed low GI for a long time because I know it definitely helps maintain blood sugars. What I am currently eating actually has been fantastic for my blood sugars. Better than ever actually. I just wish it would show up on my scale or the fit of my clothes.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Thanks leanne2376,

I have followed low GI for a long time because I know it definitely helps maintain blood sugars. What I am currently eating actually has been fantastic for my blood sugars. Better than ever actually. I just wish it would show up on my scale or the fit of my clothes.
    At 1300 calories you're not eating enough. What are your macros (Proteins, carbs, fats)?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You don't have a huge amount to lose, so 1/5 pound a week is probably realistic.
    Yes it might take a bit of time - but if you use that time to develop healthy eating behaviours then you won't ever have to "diet" again - you'll have the tools and skills to stay at a healthy weight for life.

Most people say don't worry about going over your protein and being under carbs - but if you have medical issues it would probably be worth asking your medical team about the most appropriate ratios for you

Sorry, I meant 1/2 pound a week -1/5 would be pretty slow!
  • hotlilteacher
    Options
    Fitnesssocial,
    I have no idea what my macros were. I am so used to carb exchanges. Can you recommend a calculator or something to help me plan for a 40/30/30 macro ratio?
  • GrAlVt
    GrAlVt Posts: 42
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone by chance? MFP has an app for iOS and Android. Click on the 'Daily' tab on the homepage of that app and it shows you a breakdown of everything you've eaten in nutritional terms for the day (similar to a label on the side of a container). You can also display a pie chart which shows you your macro percentages. It's very useful, and I don't know why it's not on the main site.

Otherwise, I would recommend creating an account on fitbit and linking it to your MFP account. Any food you log on MFP will appear on fitbit, and the fitbit food log page shows you a percentage breakdown of your macros as well.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Cut your protein to the right amount for your height and eat more fats & oils for calories. You don't say how much protein you're eating or how tall you are, and your diary is closed. I would guess at 70g a day of protein (280 calories).