New activities/variety

Options
Hi, there! I am posting here because I could really use some suggestions. I find I am losing motivation to go to the gym because I get bored of the elliptical and the treadmill. My gym has very basic equipment (treadmills, ellipticals, and bikes), so I was wondering if anyone had been in a similar situation or had any thoughts.

Replies

• theresak331
    theresak331 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I love to run but the Treadmill can be a tad boring. I find I do all kinds of intervals on the TM or on a bike...2 mins at this resistance, 3 minutes at this speed etc...I look ofrward to the next change to either go faster or slower etc. it helps the time go by faster
  • jfa002
    jfa002 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Music helps. Have you ever tried to figure out a way to make it fun, rather than a chore? Or possibly asking yourself before you go work out why you're doing it in the first place? Sometimes I have to look in the mirror and tell myself why I'm doing such a thing to get me motivated. Did you ever think about not only walking the tred, but having a destination you may walk to such as; walking the kids to school, walking to the movie store, walking to the store, etc.? I find myself a reason to walk, run, or bike to get cardio in; jumping rope is great cardio. So your cadio is not limited to the tred; find reasons to get cardio else where and you may not spend as much time on the tred. You will find fun things to do and the plus is that you're burning calories as well! I hope this helps. :wink:
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do the Wii Just Dance games they are awesome and it doesn't seem like a workout I switch the games around so that is won't get old.
  • theresak331
    theresak331 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions! :smile:
  • myntric
    myntric Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I completely agree and use my treadmill or exercise bike as a last resort.

I'm not certain about your area, but we are fortunate to have miles and miles of developed trails around the city here, so I find it rather peaceful and motivating to head outside, put on my headphones, and track my progress using a Garmin Forerunner 305 (tracks distance, heart rate, mph, etc.). It's amazing how much distance and time can be achieved without even realizing it.
  • oopshowdidigethere
    oopshowdidigethere Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try a cardio class just to shake things up a bit. The group effort can be motivating.. How bout zumba? Its fun and you can modify your workout to be low impact.. the music and group will keep you going.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Find the weights room - I get very bored of cardio - started lifting a month ago & I have fallen in love with it....
    I lift three times a week - wish I could do more and love seeing the progress I am making...
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    music always helps :) .... if you want something different what about trying surfing, body boarding, rockclimbing, hiking ?
    Surfing is great for upper body i couldnt move my arms right for 2days lol