Acai Berrys - Anyone tried them?

Options
Im debating whether to buy some from holland and barret to hopefully try and speed up weight loss and was just wondering if anyone had tried these?

:smile:

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I have a Brazilian coworker who laughed with tears when I told her that people try using acai berries for weight loss. Acai is very high in sugar, so they have the exact opposite reputation in Brazil, which is where they grow. Most of the people who eat acai there are very poor, and are using it as an efficient source of calories (sort of like how poor people in the US eat lots of chips and soda, only more nutritious because it's a fruit).
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have a Brazilian coworker who laughed with tears when I told her that people try using acai berries for weight loss. Acai is very high in sugar, so they have the exact opposite reputation in Brazil, which is where they grow. Most of the people who eat acai there are very poor, and are using it as an efficient source of calories (sort of like how poor people in the US eat lots of chips and soda, only more nutritious because it's a fruit).

^This.

BUT...because they're a fruit, they're not necessarily a bad sugar and a lot of people say they suppress your appetite which, in turn, makes you eat less ultimately. I wouldn't waste the money in H&B...they advertise and sell these things as a money making scheme...there's nothing I've seen that would make me think they're any better or more beneficial than just sticking to healthy eating and exercise.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I spent £20 on a months supply. No noticeable benefit, other than to the vendor.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i ordered a months free trial from the internet, i didnt feel they did any good but after 2 weeks or so i was sent month 2 58 pounds worth, i rang my bank to find they had taken 3 payments of the 58 pounds plus packaging and i was due to get the 3rd any day. i spent a fortune on calls to the usa ended up taking all packets back to the delivery firm in Bedford and was told the small print says if the free ones were not sent back unopened within a week they charge for them and each month after . a complete scam dont touch them.
  • Mariaisgettingfit
    Options
    I got completely scammed by a website buying them. They told me I got a months free trial but I didn't, by entering my card details it somehow allowed them to take payment for three months worth which was to come to around £260. I didn't realise until my bank told me. I managed to cancel half of the money from going out (it was two lots) and I got 2 tubs of acai berries and colon cleanser in the post. Needless to say, they didn't work. Like, at all. Another fad diet.
    I learnt my lesson the hard way, never enter card details into untrusted sites!
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    I have tried a concentrate juice of açai for sometime. Not to loose weight but to get the vitamines i needed, since i hardly eat fruit sometimes
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    i think my weight lost was a bit more fast after, but i dont know maybe was just the placebo effect
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I got completely scammed by a website buying them. They told me I got a months free trial but I didn't, by entering my card details it somehow allowed them to take payment for three months worth which was to come to around £260. I didn't realise until my bank told me. I managed to cancel half of the money from going out (it was two lots) and I got 2 tubs of acai berries and colon cleanser in the post. Needless to say, they didn't work. Like, at all. Another fad diet.
    I learnt my lesson the hard way, never enter card details into untrusted sites!

i learned the same lesson , total scam .
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    It's just a fruit. They are very high in antioxidants which is great for your health but they aren't miracle weight loss berries. Drink the juice like you'd drink any juice or eat the berry like you'd eat any berry.