Desk Jobs.. What do you do to keep active

HI all. Just wondering if you do any small routines if you are stuck at a desk all day. I find I have to sit for a few hours straight. But if there is anything anyone else does to at least keep themeselves engagedI would sure like suggestions. I was going to bring in a stability ball and replace my seat, but im not sure how my boss will take it. :)

Replies

• madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    i do dips on my chair arms! Can make em really hard by trying to keep legs parallel to the floor.
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 144 Member
    I feel your pain...I work online primarily..so am tied to a computer. I have to admit I am lucky though, as I do it mostly from home...so splurged and bought a laptop desk for my treadmill...and when doing things that are more brainless tasks....I do so on there at a very slow walk..but at least it stretches my legs a bit...

Guessing you don't have room for a treadmill in the office...
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    If I had a desk job I would certainly ask if a stability ball would be allowed. Also, there is a contraption that fits under the desk that you can peddle. By sure to stand up regularly. Walk around as much as possible. Visit co-workers instead of emailing them. Get out and walk during lunch.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    I walk on my breaks and do weights at lunch
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    I'm at a desk all day long. I get up very early and workout to a power walking with sculpting/toning DVD with light weights. It takes 1/2 hr but gets me going for the day. When I don't work out, I feel something is missing. I also 99.9% of the time take the stairs. I have to walk a little way to get to my car as well. I sometimes get out at lunch at walk for about half an hour. Anything, I can squeeze in I do it. I have lost 13 lbs. since the beginning of the year by diet and exercise. I stopped eating sugar totally in Jan. and have slowly added fruit back into my diet. The sugar I get is natural that is found in fruits and veggies.

Good luck!!
  • I do a variety of exercises at my desk... leg lifts (one or both) I googled "desk exercises" and found a bunch to keep me going at my job. Also an exercise band helps too - we all got one at work a couple of years ago... love mine!!
  • nathan72
    nathan72 Posts: 91 Member
    pushups! i get up every hour or so and walk a bit and do some pushups...it really helps!
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    HI all. Just wondering if you do any small routines if you are stuck at a desk all day. I find I have to sit for a few hours straight. But if there is anything anyone else does to at least keep themeselves engagedI would sure like suggestions. I was going to bring in a stability ball and replace my seat, but im not sure how my boss will take it. :)

i work in an office on the tenth floor and i walk up and down the stairs every so often.
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    If i get stuck in a lab for hours I just go for a 15 min power walk
  • EmilyDuby
    EmilyDuby Posts: 67
    I make sure to get up and move a bit after completing each task, and in the middle of them too if it's a long one. So that I don't forget I keep a full cup of water at my desk and sip away at it all day ensuring that I'll need to get up to refill it and for bathroom breaks.
  • Luckily I start at 9:30 I get up at 7:00, have breakfast and then go to the gym or for a long walk. Try doing a minute of star jumps in the cubicle every time you go to the bathroom lol
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    I take the stairs whenever I can, I do small crunches at my desk and leg lifts. On breaks I go for walks or walk up and down the stairways.
  • Sphilips1909
    Sphilips1909 Posts: 30 Member
    Thanks. I work in a manufacturing plant, so I do get to walk the floor alot, but when I am stuck at my desk doing my administrative desk work, i get ancy and bored and, well start to fall asleep. I have been doing wall pushups every time I go to the bathroom. Ill have to google desk workouts. Im sure Im going to get alot of funny looks since I sit right outside the conference room. :)
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    A friend of mine tossed out his chair, put down a rubber mat and raised his desk a foot to stand all day, he claims to be more productive and says he doesn't feel as lazy there all day. I'm curious but I'm not sure if i'll give this a try myself/
  • take weights, bands, etc. set up, and set back down..set up..then set back down..aka: chair squats. chair tricep dips..walk around..actually RUN to the bathroom ;)
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 179 Member
    Walk around as much as possible. Visit co-workers instead of emailing them. Get out and walk during lunch.

^^This.

Stability ball would be great too! My manager actually has one and she swears by it.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 968 Member

I also work in an office so try to go out on my lunch break to get some fresh air and have a short walk to the shops or something.

Also i take the stairs now instead of the lift and walking to and from the coffee machine lol xxx
  • xxempress
    xxempress Posts: 122
    Love to keep active during my lunch breaks; take a walk around the block & stretching in between breaks is a must for me!!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I workout on my lunch break. I'm lucky enough to have a locker room/showers about 100yards from my office, but when I didn't I just brought in deodorant and baby wipes to freshen up with.
  • robharlan
    robharlan Posts: 14 Member
    i do dips on my chair arms! Can make em really hard by trying to keep legs parallel to the floor.
    This all day long