Protein Powder - Australian Brands

Options
teee12
teee12 Posts: 93 Member
Hi,

So I've been thinking lately i wouldn't mind trying protein powder, but i have NO IDEA where to start looking. so many powders. i want one that will assist me in losing weight and toning up. i work out 4-5 times a week. can someone help me? i saw a brand called sculpt.. but it's got insulin in it, and L-carnitine is that bad? eeee. help me :) also, i'm a little worried as i'm very sensitive to caffeine..

Replies

• ausphoenix
    Options
    I'm no expert but I would recommend you get whey protein isolate as apposed to whey protein concentrate. As I understand it the isolate is more protein and less/next to no carbs/fat and is better for building lean muscle and losing weight than the concentrate which is for bulking up.
    I have been buying my isolate powder from a local health food store which sells unbranded plastic bags of it, but I found a website recently which would be much cheaper particularly if you buy a big bag. I haven't purchased anything from the site yet, but I plan to soon. http://www.bulknutrients.com.au

You can find the isolate here: http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/protein/whey-protein-isolate-wpi-5

I would also recommend you avoid relying on protein powder as a regular meal replacement. I use it primarily as a post workout shake because the body can absorb it quickly and thats important post workout. However I do also use it to boost the protein count in a few things such as my morning oats. Also don't use too much. Make sure you read the nutrition info for whatever powder you buy and use it accordingly :)
  • teee12
    Options
    awesome, thanks for that. it really helped :) will def get some in the next few weeks :) sooo cheap too! :)
  • Abevemi
    Abevemi Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ooohh, I will have to have a look at that as well! Thank you!
  • ausphoenix
    Options
    No probs. Happy to help :) It was not that long ago I had no idea about these kinds of things either.
  • prettybub
    prettybub Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use "Evolve Diva Whey" .

http://www.australiansportsnutrition.com.au/shop/products/2046.php

Its awesome..Lots of flavours and designed especially for woman. Low Carb and high protein . I recommend the Chocolate. :) The Lipo Whey is good too..But I only use one scoop (30g) Not 40g.
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sculpt is really good, if you read the label closely you will read that it has inulin in it, which is a type of fible, and carnitine is used by the body to aid the metabolism of fat into energy, so all good stuff, it also has some small amounts of vitamins and minerals. I personally prefer the banana flavour, esp when you add banana to it. I wouldn't worry about it not being an isolate whey, you need some carbs as well as protein, esp if you do cardio. Have it as a post or pre workout snack.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The main difference between isolate and concentrate is that isolate SUPPOSEDLY is absorbed more into the body. With concentrate a good portion of it is wasted while isolate is not. That's the theory anyway but a lot of people claim it's BS. What I can say is this:

Concentrate usually has 3g fat per serving while isolate has .5 or 1. If the difference between 3g and 1g of fat matters you're doing something wrong elsewhere in your diet. Also, most studies I've found comparing concentrate to isolate can't seem to find any difference in how they work. Concentrates do have a more complete amino acid profile. The kind I use is an isolate/concentrate blend that has more isolate than concentrate.
  • SourisBelette
    Options
    I have never eaten a protein bar before and was starting to consider it because on days where I do sports my calory count is way too low. Should I eat a bar before and after I do sports? If so how long before and after? What is something good to eat before sports anyway?

Thanks.
  • teee12
    Options
    Has anyone tried bionutritional proto whey?? it has really good reviews and i know of someone who uses it... apparently pretty good. thoughts??
  • teee12
    Options
    Yeah, thats a good brand i've been told, i was thinking about getting something for that site :)
  • joannaengel
    Options
    I like BSc Body+ you can get it here: http://www.sportyshealth.com.au/Body-Science-BSc-Body-Shaping-Protein.html
    On this site it's a few dollars cheaper than at the shops. Lots of flavors :)