Options
Can anyone recommend lite weight hiking shoes and clothes or have
advice for a beginner?

Replies

• thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    What kind of terrain are you hiking in?

The most important piece of clothing when hiking is the shoes. You need something strong and that will support your ankles if you snag a branch, or rock, or trip or anything. If you hike in mountains or places that are muddy you would need shoes with lugs in the soles. The more crazy the pattern looks and the deeper the grooves the better.

When we moved to Utah I went to a few outdoor stores and tried on different brands and styles. I can't remember whether mine are Nevados or Itascas (I think Nevados they are outside in our camping stuff and don't feel like going out to check). They were the ones that "felt" the most comfortable to me and had good lugs. Lots of mountainous, rocky, dirt terrain out here and lugs are a necessity. Coleman and Denali are also good brands.

One note. You will see a lot of what are sometimes called "hiking sandles" or "river sandles". We each have a pair of these too. Mine are actually the men's style because the women's version was kind of junky. I have seen many people in our red rock mountains hiking in those things. Not a good idea. The natl park service actually puts in their papers sometimes discouraging those types of shoes for their hiking trails. If you are anywhere where there are venomous snakes its a very bad idea. Very little support, doesn't protect your whole foot from rocks/branches/sharp edges. If you live somewhere like Florida or down south on mostly flat terrain, especially if its humid or part of your hike goes through river beds or something and you aren't worried about snakes then they are okay. The reason we have them is because there are a lot of reservoirs around here and they have rocks in the water and on the shores and they protect our feet and are okay for the water.

As for advice for beginners on hiking. I would recommend trusting the difficulty level on the trails website or pamphlets or whatever. Stick with short there and backs at first or small loops. half - 2miles to start with. We personally can't really do longer then 2 miles because we have little ones and they will tire out after about a mile and a half depending on the elevation change and trail difficulty. Of course that all depends on your terrain type too. If its Florida then 3-4miles can be the same exertion as 1 mile out here sometimes.
  • lollypops09
    lollypops09 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great info - thanks I went on my first hike with my sister this weekend. 8.4 miles in 6 hours. We stopped and took lots of pictures HA There were lots of different types of trails but the most difficult had a lot of loose rocks that would make you twist your ankle or trip. It was hot too so I know I want something that supports the ankles and is very light weight. I found there are 2 different brands of water packs. Camel and something else and then lots of accessories for them...Can you recommend one over the other?
  • lollypops09
    lollypops09 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oh - we're in Arkansas so lots of hills and rocks but really good dirt and paved trails also.
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    To be honest I haven't found the need for a camel pack yet. We can't go on any hikes too long because of the kids, and we usually just take a small back pack with a couple of snacks and our aluminum refillable water bottles with us. It would probably be a good idea for the length of hike you are doing. Even in high school when I was doing orienteering and doing long couple hour courses I never used a camel pack but I had a few friends who did. I think the recommendation is something like 3L of water per person for longer hikes. I know when we go camping and hiking we take lots of water and always make the kids drink and we drink even if not thirsty. Its the desert and you can get dehydrated and not even know it, they say if you are thirsty then you are already dehydrated. I would check Amazon or something and look at the different brands and read customer reviews about them. Watch out for reports of leakiness or funny taste from the plastic. Or hard to clean.

Then there is also altitude sickness. If you aren't used to higher altitudes and elevation changes you can get dizzy and pass out but I doubt Arkansas has elevations of that magnitude.

One time we went to Mesa Verde Natl park in Colorado. It was a guided tour down into one of the cliff dwellings. Our tour got cancelled because some lady passed out and the only way for the medics to get her out was by taking the steps that we were supposed to use to go down. (The way out is a ladder) Could have been altitude sickness because she was from somewhere eastern, but most likely just being stupid and not drinking enough water.

The thing I love most about hiking is because it isn't just walking or exercise. Its seeing all the cool things around you in nature or geological formations.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Sierratradingpost has an excellent selection of hikers at amazing prices, and lots of reviews. I don't buy mine anywhere else. I always get ones with good ankle support, and water resistance. Do not break them in on your longer hikes. Wear when you're out and about, and then take them out for a spin.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Footwear - Chances are a lightweight boot will do you. Dont forget to get decent socks too.

Water - there are camelbaks - and other makes too - but they do the same thing. Water is heavy, if there are streams you can probably drink from them if they are fast flowing - you can get purifcation tabs but they take time and dont kill everything anyway! Most sacks will accommodate camelbaks bladders now but disadvantage is you cant see how much you are drinking.

Clothing - depends on weather obviously - main problem to overcome is that you will be warm on the move but chill quickly if you stop. A few light layers with a windproof/waterproof outer layer should be enough for nearly all but the worst of conditiions. A hat and gloves are basics too.

Rucksack - law here is you will carry more than you need if your sack is too big. Always be conscious of the weight you are carrying. make sure it has a waist belt and adjust to carry weight on hips and not shoulders.

Other - How about using a walking pole? Gives a nice bit of stability and helps on the steeper stuff.

Compass - and know how to use it with or without a map

A Plan - try to have a plan of what you intend to do - this means you can bring the right kit and right amount. Tell someone where you are going (see 127 Hours) and try not to deviate from plan.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Good socks are as important as boots. Get smart wool socks or one of their competitors. You can get some fairly thin wool socks.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a good pair of light hiking boots it is hard to beat the Merrel Moab series... i have the mid height waterproof ones and they really do an amazing job. I do a fair amount of hiking in North Jersey which actually has some very rocky trails and they hold up to them better then any other boots I have had before.

A good trail map and compass are always an important thing, last year hiking with the kids, using the crappy map that the ranger station had, we missed a trail turning our 8 mile hike into a 14 mile journey!

I always take my aluminum water bottle when I hike, they are the least likely to leak from my experience. I will also throw another bottle or two of water in my pack if it is a hot day or if I have the kids with me. We did get lucky to run into some backpackers on our extended hike who had a pump with a filter they refilled our bottles. I am thinking about getting one for myself this year.
  • BostonMatt
    BostonMatt Posts: 258
    Options
    Shoes arethe most important. I can't really recommend a boot because it truley does differ depending on the person's feet. I have a really wide foot and Keens work great for me. Depending on the hiking, a pair of poles might be needed. Really helped my knees.

As the other poster stated, be prepared when going into the woods. You can never be too careful.

Enjoy!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I love my hiking boots, but they are not lightweight - I originally got them for a backpacking trip.
    They are a bit much in summer for day hikes but I like the extra ankle support and the goretex. Sometimes when I'm crossing a stream, etc. they get a little wet and it's no big deal. Feet stay dry.

The most impressive thing about these hiking shoes by Vasque, though, is that there was virtually no break-in time.
    Maybe this hasn't been an issue since the 80s, but thought I'd put that out there. Basically they are so comfortable that I just wear them year round rather than buy another lighter pair for summer.

I like the BPA free nalgene bottles for hiking. The aluminum ones are great, but I like to have something that works well for winter too.
    I have no idea how people clean those camelbacks, but I hear that after washing and drying that people store them in the freezer to prevent any bacteria growth.

Have fun!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    Options
    One time we went to Mesa Verde Natl park in Colorado. It was a guided tour down into one of the cliff dwellings. Our tour got cancelled because some lady passed out and the only way for the medics to get her out was by taking the steps that we were supposed to use to go down. (The way out is a ladder) Could have been altitude sickness because she was from somewhere eastern, but most likely just being stupid and not drinking enough water.

The thing I love most about hiking is because it isn't just walking or exercise. Its seeing all the cool things around you in nature or geological formations.

^ I SO want to see Mesa Verde. I'm sorry that your tour got cancelled. I hope you've had a chance to go back since then!
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I prefer Keen hiking boots. Also get a roll if breathable medical tape so if you feel a blister spot you can tape it up before a blister forms
  • lauralizzy829
    lauralizzy829 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    This is helpful. Going to Sequoia, King's Canyon, and Yosemite in August.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    In addition to shoes, I take a backpack. In it is some food, rope, knife, utility thingy with pliers, knife, screwdriver, etc, flashlight, penlight, compass, always a map of the area, a plastic whistle, water, a plastic pancho, an emergency blanket, lighter, a small crow bar thingy, first aid kit, sunscreen, and some of those light sticks. This sounds like a lot, but it's not. Also, always have ID and any medical emergency info on you. It's also not a bad idea to let a friend or family member know where you are going. I always just simply text someone that I'm going hiking, where I'm going, and when I should be back.

Every week you read about people getting lost out there. I always assume that I might have to spend the night. Since I don't carry a Tent, it would suck and it would be drastic, but I think people are too casual about it when they go hiking. It can be very dangerous. So, be prepared. Snake bites, scorpiions, bees, ticks, and other creatures can really wind up being dangerous. You can cross paths with a bear or mountain lion. I mean, stuff happens out there. You should have a weapon of some sort and you should never just go without some first aid.

I know I am over the top. People laugh at me with all my stuff in my backpack. Again, it's not that much, it's all compact and light, but when I pull everything out, there are a lot of items. Most people just put on their shoes, a hat, and head out. But, I've read too many simple hiking trips that turn into one tragedy after another and a few days later a resue team is searching for them. So be careful, eyes and ears open, know where you are, and be prepared.

I don't mean to scare you. I love to hike. I just always love being knowledgable and prepared for anything that comes my way.

I don't know what sporting goods store you have, but I just look for good sales on shoes. I want something comfortable, light, and waterproof. Brand names don't really matter. They just have to feel good on your feet and I need waterproof shoes.

Have fun.
  • FrauHausMaus
    FrauHausMaus Posts: 194
    Options
    I agree with everyone about the shoes. It's important to take your time picking them and choose the best ones for your feet.

I love my Merrell Moab Ventilators for hiking, but they aren't very lightweight. They're pretty breathable, which is helpful. I wear good, moisture wicking socks to keep my feet dry, and they don't usually get too hot. I have really wobbly ankles, so ankle support is very important for me.

A hiking pole is also helpful, particularly if you go on a lot of really uneven trails. It's like having an extra leg for balance. I just use a good, old fashioned... stick. The downside is, it can get pretty heavy after a while and doesn't fold away neatly like a hiking pole, but it works for me.

Have fun hiking!!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    Options
    You may also want to browse the Hiking and Backpacking Group threads for further information!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/547-hikers-and-backpackers
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FrauHausMaus
    FrauHausMaus Posts: 194
    Options
    I agree with neverstray as well. When I go on short, .5-3mile hikes, I carry a "bum bag" with a little first aid kit, some insect repellent, sunscreen, some food (usually dried fruit, nuts, anything full of nutrients that doesn't take up a lot of space) and a few other little necessities just in case. If you're going to a park where there are miles and miles of trails where you could potentially get very lost, it's important to have some just in case supplies with you. If you're going on familiar or highly populated trails, a little bum bag may be all you need. Besides, it's a good place to store extra water!
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I really recommend poles. And I will put my two cents in on shoes- I can not hike in boots. I actually end up twisting my ankles more than when I wear hiking shoes. I think it's a psychological thing- my ankles get sloppy because I think the boot is offering all the support I need.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I really love my Keen hiking boots. I'm in Peru right now, and I've hiked in them for hours every day over the past ten days. Very supportive, light, no break-in period. They are as comfortable as running shoes.

Socks are also important, but expensive. My Wigwam ones were $13 a pair.