RAGBRAI

Options
Rocbola
Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
Anyone else going on RAGBRAI (Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa)?

471 mile bicycle ride in 7 days across the state of Iowa. This year is the 40th year. There are usually 10,000-20,000 riders there.

Replies

• Rocbola
    Options
    Nobody? Well, google it, if you are into bicycling. It's sometimes called "Mardi Gras on wheels" There's so many people, it's like a big party in every town along the route.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping on from Cedar Rapids to Clinton! It's going to be my first RAGBRAI.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I'd love to, if it didn't mean spending a week with my MIL. *shudder* :huh:
  • Rocbola
    Options
    I'm hoping on from Cedar Rapids to Clinton! It's going to be my first RAGBRAI.
    Oh cool, i'm going for the first time this year too. I was born in Iowa, and return often, and i've always wanted to go. Finally, i'm fit enough to go!
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Me too! I live in DSM, but the Friday-Saturday leg just works out best. Maybe I'll see you there. :) Just look for a sunburnt gal on a commuter bike!
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I will be in Cedar Rapids welcoming you incoming riders and waving the outgoing riders on the next day. I've never done RAGBRAI but it is on my bucket list. That last leg is dooozie this year!!
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to do this (born and bred Des Moines-er, here) but riding a bike isn't in my near future. Maybe that can be a long-term goal for me. In the meantime, those of you doing the trek, enjoy! And remember, Iowa isn't Nebraska. There are actually HILLS in Iowa, so be prepared!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who will be riding his 3rd this year - it's on my bucket list but this year the dates conflict with a soccer tournament (my daughter's team is playing in NC in July)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Not participating (not fit enough and don't have a decent 470+ mile bike) but cheering from afar. :)
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Not participating (not fit enough and don't have a decent 470+ mile bike) but cheering from afar. :)
    That's where i was when i signed up. A little bit of weekly cycling practice, some spin classes, and saving a few bucks from each paycheck for 6 months, and now i'm ready to rock RAGBRAI! Maybe we'll see you next year, i know it's possible, cause if i can, anyone can. I couldn't walk up stairs without getting winded 6 months ago.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'd love to come up there and do that ride. Hear it's a blast.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    I will be in Cedar Rapids welcoming you incoming riders and waving the outgoing riders on the next day. I've never done RAGBRAI but it is on my bucket list. That last leg is dooozie this year!!
    Cool maybe you'll be waving at me! RAGBRAI has been on my bucket list since i was a kid. I wrote a list of 100 things i want to do in life when i was 16 (im 31 now) and "Do RAGBRAI with my Dad" was on that list. I'm going with my Dad and little sister. And lots of long days this year! Only one day less than 50 miles.
  • halovapor
    halovapor Posts: 4
    Options
    I plan on doing the first day from Sioux Center to Cherokee which is 60 miles. Hopefully the weather will be nice so it will be a great ride. Ragbrai is a 7 day party on bikes... Ride hard.. Ride fast!!!!!!
  • athenna1869
    athenna1869 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    RAG...BRAI XL!!!!!
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the full week. This will be my second full ride and had done 4 partials before that. I have ridden over 2100 miles on my road bike for the year so I am ready to get going. I'm from Vinton so I love that I get to overnight in my own bed when it stops in Cedar Rapids.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    I'm in for the full week. This will be my second full ride and had done 4 partials before that. I have ridden over 2100 miles on my road bike for the year so I am ready to get going. I'm from Vinton so I love that I get to overnight in my own bed when it stops in Cedar Rapids.
    That's so cool! I will miss my bed, i'm sure. I just regret not going last year, my grandparents live in Atlantic, the town of last year's first overnight. So far, i only have about 800 miles in!

3 weeks to go!!!!
  • Rocbola
    Options
    5 days left!!!!!!!!!

471 miles to go
  • Merithyn
    Options
    Good luck and have fun!!
  • Rocbola
    Options
    HEAT STROKE!!!!
    I had to leave RAGBRAI early. 6 months of training, 6 months of saving money, all killed by 105 degree weather!!!!

Next year, i try again. The 90 miles that i did ride were a blast!!!
  • Merithyn
    Options
    Oh wow. Hope you're okay! That's not something to mess around with.

Sounds like you had fun while you could, anyway. Way to go!!