Tips on starting yoga

Options
Flexibility has never been my strong point. Even when I was a kid I couldn't touch my toes. One of the things I want to try doing in this fitness journey is to get more flexible and I have heard yoga is a good option.

My dilemma is that I want to get some one-on-one training to make sure I am doing things correctly. All the local studios offer group classes, one as low as $8, but a personal session would set me back quite a bit. $100 for a one-hour session? Yikes.

Does anyone have suggestions in starting out in yoga? Is a group setting a good place to learn as a newbie? Should I go for a personal session to start out with? Would learning from a book or online teach me correctly? Any tips for a noob?

Replies

• mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm like you - couldn't touch my toes as a kid. Have you tried looked for a Mysore style Ashtanga class? Although it is taught in a group, people start at different times and instruction is given individually with the teacher coming round to help and correct you. Your first few classes may be quite slow to start with as you learn the basics, but you will build up gradually and safely.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I would find a small class and make sure your teacher knows you're a beginner. When I first started, there were only 5-8 people in my class and my teacher was able to spend a lot of time assisting with the poses.

Also, you can research the classes in your area, because some teachers are more "hands-on" than others -- which IMO helps with learning proper form.

Yoga is awesome...it's definitely my favorite workout. Good luck and Namaste :flowerforyou:
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i also am very un-flexible (if thats a word?). i would love to do yoga again, but my gym only offers the classes during normal work hours. no bueno.
    however, i'm also the type that gets embarrassed trying new exercises, so i think the group setting would be best for me so that i can blend into the masses so to speak and not have one person watching me constantly make an idiot of myself. :smile:
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I started with group classes. One of my classes usually only has 3 or so people in it and is designed for relaxation and getting started. It is great with lots of hands on help from instructor. Just ask which classes would be best for you to get more help and they will be happy to tell you. But do it, stick with it, and you will notice improvement in a few months. Really notice it!
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Just go along to a group class... if the teacher is good you will be fine!

If you don't enjoy that class then find another that you do like.

As the above poster says... it doesn't only improve flexibility it has positive effects on strength, breathing, stress and weight / fat loss to name just a few!!
  • chandra38
    chandra38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was also wondering about this. My dietitian wants to me to incorporate Yoga and Pilates in my workout, but I have no idea where to begin. My gym doesn't offer yoga or pilates classes. They only offer boot camp, spin and zumba classes. I'm intimidated to do a class, too, so that doesn't help me. But, it is one of my goals for this year! I'm glad you asked this!
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga. It's quite a dynamic form which also builds strength.

You could also try Iyengar Yoga or Hatha Yoga for something gentler. Or Bikram (hot) Yoga is interesting.

I think group settings are perfectly fine. Most people learn/teach yoga in group settings.

Try to look for some recommendations locally for a good teacher. The quality of the tuition is everything!!
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    Go to a group class, stand right at the front and the instructor will help you out. I have been practicing 5 months and it makes a world of difference!

EDIT: I do Iyengar which helps majorly with my flexibility :)
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Find a studio that has basics classes, most of the people in those are new, fairly new or coming back after not doing it for a while. I just started vinyasa yoga about 6 weeks at a studio near my house and I just LOVE it!
    The instructors are so supportive and helpful and they make it truly a wonderful experience.
    You may even ask if you can sit in on a group session and observe, this way you can get a feel for how the class flows and if you feel comfortable with it.
    Good luck!!!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    A group class is fine. You might want to get there a little early and let the instructor know it's your first practice.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Definitely start off with a group class, a small setting if you can find one. I would suggest checking Groupon, living social or google offers for deals on yoga studios in your area - I see these offers all the time.

Definitely start slow and don't push yourself too hard too fast. It's VERY easy to over do it and injury yourself with yoga (personal experience), so just get comfortable with it before you really start pushing yourself.

As far as one-on-one training, I don't think it's necessary and certainly not at that price point. That's rather steep. See if your local gym offers some classes or maybe try a drop in class or two or an unlimited monthly pass (usually they offer some sort of introductory offer at a discount for unlimited for one month) and give it a whirl. I would NOT suggest doing Bikram (hot yoga) right out of the gate. I've done yoga off and on for years and am just now doing Bikram. I'm glad I had the other yoga classes before because Bikram tends to be a bit more intense.

Just remember that in classes, everyone is (or should be) focused on themselves. There's no competition in yoga - just where you are in the moment. :)
  • ihavethemusicinme
    Options
    Most places have a beginner yoga class. That would be a good place to start. Another thing you can do is talk to the instructor before class starts and tell them it is your first class. A good instructor will be easy on you and show you the modifications for the poses. A group setting is not a bad place to start, and it's cheaper :D Good luck!!
  • zerbe6982
    zerbe6982 Posts: 68
    Options
    Group settings are great communities!

I started taking a yoga class back in March. At the time I could bend over and touch my toes. So, I went into the class thinking "Hey, it's just yoga!"

I learned a couple of things in my first session.

1.) I am not 16 anymore. ( Just turned 30 last Saturday)
    2.) WOW, am I out of shape.
    3.) I have the utmost respect for Yogis.
    4.) I can do this.

I started with a morning class that has anywhere between 4 and 10 people. I found that even though I am heavy and most of the people (men and women) are in better shape, I fit in too.

The instructors are great. If needed, they modify poses so that everyone can do some variant that works for them.

I have been attending 3 times a week, and now I can do some of the moves that I couldn't before. These are awesome mini accomplishments for me. Now, if I can only stick my tree and eagle.

It's a lot of fun, and I have found a friendly and fun community that I belong to. Now, I'm not the heaviest person in my class. :)
  • michellematteson
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. It kind of gives me an idea of what to look for as I search for a place to start.

So far the studios I have found look like they have large classes, with the instructor at a podium, calling out the moves to do, that they don't let people observe or leave if they feel sick. I can already tell that will not work for me.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I started up with yoga about 5 years ago, and, as I'm sure you're realizing, there is a lot to learn. Ashtanga/Power Yoga/Vinyasa yoga is the best option for weight loss, since there's a lot of movement, and you tend not to stay in the postures for as long as you might with Hatha Yoga. But, if you're looking for flexibility more than fitness, Hatha yoga could very well be the better option for you. Basically, if you want flexibility, then you want to stay in the poses for a really long time.

As far as classes go, I really empathize with you... I was never comfortable with the class environments, and the several private lessons I took were always fairly low value. I think what happens with yoga is, because the waters are so deep, it just takes a long time for it all to not only sink in, but synthesize. So sure, private lessons are great, but you'll spend a fortune before you really start getting any kind of return.

The approach that I ended up finding most successful was a combination route of DVDs and books. Books are better for learning (not so much actually doing the routines), and the DVDs are better for actually sequences/workouts - and the quality of some of the yoga DVDs out there is just spectacular (instruction, setting, prodcution value, quality of the sequences, etc.). You'll get a lot of explanation about the poses, where you should and shouldn't feel the stretch, etc.

I realize a lot of people will disagree with me here and tell you that you really need to work with a certified instructor, but you really don't... if you have some body awareness, some patience, and a willingness to read up on what you're doing, you'll be fine. Also, think about it this way... how many times a week are you going to take priviate lessons? Once? Twice at the most? If you have your own books and DVDs, guess what, you can work out every day, be it for 15 minutes, half an hour, 60 minutes, or more. And yoga is definitely one of those things where doing it every day is where the payout is. Before long, your body will start to 'awaken' (the term the yoga folks use) to the various poses, and you'll really be able to feel what muscles are being used when. And of course, never push yourself too deeply into a posture - listen to your body, and always stop before you feel any pain, especially in your back. Patience is critical.

I have a list of books and DVDs I'd be happy to share, if you're interested. There are also lots of website that can give you some of the basics. Be patient, do lots (and lots, and lots!) of reading, and enjoy the journey. Yoga rocks. Namaste.