Too much protein!

Options
I log on my phone to fill out my daily foods, and I focus on the calories that i eat everyday and do pretty well. But when I log onto the computer it shows that I'm always way off for my protein. I am allowed 45g a day... and I'm usually at least 20g too much...
So should i be cutting out animal products out of my diet? Will I still lose weight if I have more protein then it says I'm allowed?

Any help on how to cut back on protein, even though I feel I'm not over doing it?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    The preset macro for protein is really low. More protein is perfectly fine, not a bad thing at all. I reset my numbers with a better ratio of carbs to fat to protein and aim for 100g of protein daily.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Hi mellybelly08,
    you can higher the protein intakes, no bbigie at all
  • tlamarch
    tlamarch Posts: 105
    Options
    you can set your protein intake to what ever you what, if your working out you dont want to cut protein
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Unless you have medical issues (like compromised kidneys), it's okay, and in fact good, to go over on proteins. MFP sets a pretty low daily limit. Look to eat about 1 gm. of protein/lb. of lean body mass.
  • carolynmiller81
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to cut back on protein.
    I am always over on protein, but I've still been pretty consistently losing weight. If anything, it will just give you more energy for working out and help you put on lean muscle.
    If you still really want to cut back on it though, don't focus on dropping your protein. Focus on eating more vegetables and fruits. Make your plate consistently more vegetable heavy, and you wont have as much room for the protein.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MFP has a really low protein setting. I try for 1gram per pound of lean body weight.... or at least 100 grams a day.
  • pundas
    pundas Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I aim for around 120g of protein a day. When I first joined MFP, it had me at about 30g of protein a day, and I changed it because that seemed way too low!
  • mellybelly08
    Options
    Okay that sounds much better! Thanks guys! :smile:
  • msjnrucker
    Options
    Thanks for all the post, this was very helpful as I was running into the same problem! I didn't know you could have too much protein or that it was a bad thing!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to eat too much protein, and it's only a problem if it's causing you to go over your calorie limit.

I think MFP's default settings are way too heavy on carbs and too low on protein. I use the custom goals and set it at 35/35/30 P/F/C.
  • dawson555
    dawson555 Posts: 26
    Options
    1g of protein per pound of body weight approx imo
  • thinnerthaniam
    thinnerthaniam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would definitely cut out meat. Here's a couple of idea; Saute' a bunch of veggies including mushrooms in Chicken or Vegetable stock from Trader Joes..add a little Italian seasoning and a little Soy Sauce/light...makes all the veggies taste little a steak. Also, if you like Portabello Mushrooms or Eggplant...they both can be cooked like a steak using same seasonings...slap that between two buns with all the fixings....yummmy! You will not only rid of all the Protein, fat and Calorie intake, your body will thank you!!! Wahoo!

Hmm? Besides, meat can take up to 9 hours to digest and that's pretty darn taxing on the body, so unless you prefer to sleep than to have a productive day.....Enjoy!
  • irvined2
    irvined2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1llb of body weight to 1g of protein
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Protein is essential for muscle building and maintenance. If your protein is too low, you with either not build muscle or your body will take it from other sources such as muscle... I actually try to go over on my protein. Try to keep the fat macro low but other than that, I would not worry that much about the macros... I watch them to see that I'm getting a balance but that is my primary concern on that. Calories is what adds/lowers weight. Especially if you do any strength training, keep that protein up there.. Carbs help with weight training as well...
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I like my protein beteen 100-125
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You will not only rid of all the Protein, fat and Calorie intake, your body will thank you!!! Wahoo!
    Not sure if troll?

Protein is good. Don't cut out protein.
  • suzannnicole
    suzannnicole Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to bulk up with muscle, you need the protein. If not, then you don't. Too much can be hard on the liver.

As a woman, I don't like to see big muscles on my body. It was my biggest issue with weight training. Then I joined mfp and can track the protein. Now, as i keep the protein reasonable, I no longer have the bulky muscle problem.
  • mellybelly08
    Options
    FatAss4u , Mmm that sounds good! I used to be vegetarian for 5 years, and gave that up... It's hard for me not to eat meat but maybe i'll try again! You gave me a spark of motivation !:bigsmile:
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    so i should eat more red meat to up my protein? like steak and bacon i know has tons of healthy protein in it, so heres my dilemma should I give up bacon-steak-red meat, or keep eating it for its healthy protein content?