SUGAR SUGAR SUGAR

Options
Hey Everyone!!

I eat super clean BUT my downfall is sugar and I know this is why I am not losing what I want to.

I dont use it in tea or coffee. I don't eat candy.

It fruit, oatmeal packets and chocolate.

Does anyone know of foods I can eat to get rid of this craving!?

I know I can substitute the oatmeal, but since I'm tight on money I want to finish what I have in my pantry already.

Thanks!!

Replies

• Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am certain that my lack of sugar is the reason I am at my goal weight. I do eat fruit and drink wine but other than that it is only the OCASIONAL treat like some chocolate or a celebration peice of cake. It's not a big deal really. Once you get use to eating as clean as you can the sugar becomes a non issue. A good crisp cold apple cures it for me every time! You are on the right track to think of eating clean, that's what your body wants and will thrive on!!! Good luck (add me if you like)
  • andthenwhat
    andthenwhat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree with above. Once you cut it all out and only get it from sources like fruit (along with eating clean, wholesome foods), you will stop craving it. It's weird and I hate it but I feel like sugar is a legit addictive substance. I just had to cut it all out and I've seen fantastic results.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Actually fake sugar only intensifies sugar cravings. The reasons are because it is 100x sweeter than real sugar. You can't FOOL the body. Diet foods and low fat foods don't actually work. If they did, we would not be an obese nation/world. The diet food industry is designed to make you keep buying.

Anyway, careful what fake sugar you eat. Truvia is made using 40 chemical compounds and the FDA does not require they list them on the label.

Also, real sugar is not the enemy:

http://www.everydiet.org/1001/sugar-and-artificial-sugar-facts

"Another concern some people express is the “ease” at which sugars are converted to fat. I read one “system” for getting into shape that did not offer scientific evidence, but claimed that in working with extremely lean body builders, the author figured out that sugars cause fat to be stored quickly and easily. Other books simply state that sugar is quickly and easily converted to fat. Again, we have to understand our biological systems to analyze those statements. How does a sugar get stored as a fat? The liver processes the glucose molecule and turns it into a triglyceride, or fat molecule. This, again, complicates matters: whether or not you eat table sugar or a green bean, guess what? By the time your liver “sees” it, it has been broken down to a glucose molecule. There is no practical way that your liver somehow “knows” that the glucose molecule came from a green bean instead of a grain of table sugar, except that your entire body benefits from additional nutrients when you consume the green bean."
    -Everydiet.com

Sugar is not the enemy:

http://jezebel.com/5472221/sugar-is-not-the-enemy-against-the-demonization-of-food
  • Symphony2
    Symphony2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

You're being very hard on yourself. If the rest of your eating is clean then all you need to do is concentrate on those oatmeal packets and the chocolate. Do you eat milk chocolate? In which case, clear out the cupboard NOW ... and go buy some really dark chocolate (above 75% cocoa). Wean yourself onto this for your choc treats - yes, it's still sugary but you need your treats (what's life without treats, I say!!!) - and you'll eat much LESS (and it's actually quite good for you too). That's one step you can take.

Oatmeal snacks ............... hmmmmm this is trickier. How about stocking up on corn thins instead? I find these quite filling and satisfying and quite low cal. Oatmeal tends to have quite a lot of salt - and I'd be more worried about the salt content inhibiting your weight loss than the sugar.

Fruit ...... you could do an awful lot worse, you know! Yes, it's sugar but at least it's natural sugar. Lots and lots of fruit can be very hard on the digestive system, though, so just take care.

It sounds like you're really on the right track. You know what I'd do? Keep doing exactly what you're doing, stick with your choc treats, fruit and oatmeal snacks (maybe cut down portion sizes a little) ... and instead make time to put in an extra 15-20 mins of exercise every day - either walking (fast!), running, steps, stairs, skipping, squats, squat-presses, lunges, crunches, ...... just keep going for 15-20 mins extra and you'll boost your weight loss even faster (and with the extra exercise you probably won't eat quite so much sugar afterwards so it works whichever way you look at it)

Hope this helps. Good luck, stay focussed, stay true to yourself.

XX
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Also, there's lower sugar oatmeal. I have found options I really enjoy (from Whole Foods and Trader Joe's) I eat oatmeal at work M-F so without it I would be stuck. Look into lower sugar instant oatmeal, there's options out there!
  • ellewoods37
    Options
    thanks everyone!

I eat relatively low sodium, I am usually under on sodium and over on sugar and protein.

the only oatmeal i eat is the instant packets and as soon as im finished with them i'll be getting the all natural.

and i LOVE dark chocolate. :-) great suggestion!

Also, any advice on how to work out with a bruised tailbone? I slipped and fell down my stairs. :-( I live in DC and don't belong to a gym, so swimming is out of the question. I usually mix it up with my bike, running, pilates and yoga, but i'm afraid of hurting myself further.

thanks!