Kettle Bell - has anybody found success with this??

Options
I am on week 5 of the Kettle Bell. I have been doing it every other day faithfully. I complete the workouts exactly as he instructs. I don't see ANY changes, except sore body 7 days per week. I am willing to start again from the beginning once I complete this 6-week circuit, because I actually enjoy it, and 25 minutes is really all I can fit in my schedule. I am 44, and sit at a desk all day, and sit in my car commuting for 2.5 hours per day, so the odds are against me to see any changes so soon, but can SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME.....has anybody had success and seen improvements with this workout???

Replies

• BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Which workout is this? I just bought a 10lb kettlebell yesterday and plan on starting JM's Shredding it with Weights tonight.

Did you measure yourself? If you are still sore 5weeks in the program and you are not seeing the scale move that means your muscles are retaining water so that they can repair.
  • Symphony2
    Symphony2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Not sure what workout you're doing but sounds like it's not achieving the best results for you at the moment. What's the purpose of your workout? To burn calories or to tone up (in other words - have you quite a lot of weight to lose or only a few pounds?)

If you've quite a lot of weight to lose then I would suggest you (a) cut the KB workout by half and use the other half for pure cardio (skipping, star jumps, step ups, stair-running or a combination of all those and more ...) - and (b) it's a very common error to use too light a weight (even though it feels like a ton when you pick it up first!!)! What weight are you using? I'm 5 ft 5 (162 cm approx ... can't remember lol) - anyway, SHORT!! lol - and I swing a 16kg kettle bell. Anything less and I'm cheating! If you can swing for more than 45 seconds without your legs struggling then the weight is too light!

If your body is constantly sore from DOMS (muscle soreness) then I would suggest dropping some KB resistance exercises in favour of bodyweight (but if you're quite fit already you can really afford to do advanced bodyweight exercises). This will ensure that your body is under the 'right' kind of strain and you're building lean body mass rather than harming it!! There's a difference.

Kettle bells are fantastic and I work out with them frequently - but I always mix them up with other workouts. In addition, if you're following the same workout set for six weeks your body is BORED!! Imagine eating the same 3 meals for 6 weeks running - well, when it comes to exercise, your muscles are thinking exactly the same thing. Try one big cardio session per week and 2 x 15 mins kettle bells (if you love them that much) + 15 mins bodyweight ........... or one big cardio session and then one kettle bell workout and one full bodyweight workout.

I guarantee you'll see a difference!

Hope this helps,
    A
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it a couple of months. I don't have exact statistics, but I have put a little weight back (3-5 lbs) on while going down in bodyfat (13% -- previously about 17 to 18%).
    Basically, i've been happy with the body-recomposition. It is like any other exercise in that the most important part of the program starts in the kitchen.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bluebird just curious what type of routine you do. This is something I will be getting into soon. Just want to have a nice set list before I get started.
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has had a lot of success with Kettlebells. He doesn't follow any particular video, but he does stuff like swings, turkish getups, clean and presses. He's not losing very much weight, but he is looking a lot leaner and muscular. He started with the 25lb kettlebell and is now at 55lbs.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    bump to follow

I got a 10# KB mid-May and have only used it 4-5 times since I've been doing the 30 day shred. I use the DVD (B.Harper) that came with it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Bisera - Jillian's form is dreadful ... look for something else (library, internet) that shows you what kettlebell form should be.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Avoid any Kettlebell workout DVD featuring Jillian. She is not certified as an RKC instructor and her form is awful and will lead to injury. Additionally, her use of extremely light weight kettlebells defeats the core behind kettlebell training. Doing "true" kettlebell exercises, even a weak person will be using a 15-20 lb one to start. Look for DVDs featuring Michael Skogg.
  • christinekojack
    christinekojack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've just ordered some kettel bells, so am very interested in this post! Thanks for posting. :)
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Some things to know about KB training:

Typically done for timed sets.

Core and lower body strength are integral to every single move you do.

Higher weights are a must. 5-10 lb KBs are pointless. Even a weak and out of shape person should be starting out with a 15-20 lb weight minimum and working their way up from there. Heavier weights are needed to really bring the lower body into the exercise and that is what the functionality of KB training is all about.

Every exercise is a compound one, meant to bring multiple muscle groups into the workout. There is no isolation training in traditional KB training.

Philosophy is simple: TRAIN FOR STRENGTH IMPROVEMENTS. The rest will come with that. But when training with KBs the mentality you should be approaching it with is that you want to see the poundages you're working with go up. You're looking for strength improvements and you should be pushing to see them. That is how you get results.
  • kbrooks323
    kbrooks323 Posts: 22
    Options
    I have seen great results from Kettle Bells. Maybe you aren't using enough weight? I started with 5 and quickly moved to 15bs. It is important that you are using enough weight-- that may be your problem.

Good luck!
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    How much weight are you working with? If you're not using a pretty heavy weight you're doing it wrong and that's probably why you're not seeing any results.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Bluebird just curious what type of routine you do. This is something I will be getting into soon. Just want to have a nice set list before I get started.

Sorry, didn't see your post.

I attend a class 3 times per week. The first 15 minutes is composed of ab work. The workouts get changed a lot, but the single-handed swings, two-handed swings along with some form of squatting/lunging (with different variations) seems to be a consistent part of the workouts.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    If everyone could just go ahead and Google the words Jillian kettlebell.
    You don't even need her surname.
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    Some things to know about KB training:

Typically done for timed sets.

Core and lower body strength are integral to every single move you do.

Higher weights are a must. 5-10 lb KBs are pointless. Even a weak and out of shape person should be starting out with a 15-20 lb weight minimum and working their way up from there. Heavier weights are needed to really bring the lower body into the exercise and that is what the functionality of KB training is all about.

Every exercise is a compound one, meant to bring multiple muscle groups into the workout. There is no isolation training in traditional KB training.

Philosophy is simple: TRAIN FOR STRENGTH IMPROVEMENTS. The rest will come with that. But when training with KBs the mentality you should be approaching it with is that you want to see the poundages you're working with go up. You're looking for strength improvements and you should be pushing to see them. That is how you get results.

^^^ This.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    If everyone could just go ahead and Google the words Jillian kettlebell.
    You don't even need her surname.

I hope you're joking...

EDIT: Nevermind, I just did it and almost every single search result on the first page is an article or blog post or review saying how awful her form is and how she has no business teaching kettlebells. Hahaha. That's what I was looking for.
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I like Lauren Brooks kettlebell dvd's (also has a blog kbellqueen.blogspot.com), she's ceritifed and teaches you great form.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I did an eight-week kettlebell circuit that a fitness blogger friend of mine constructed for me. I dropped 2% body fat and saw changes in my torso, particularly lower abs and glutes. Keep at it, it works. P.S. I'm 40.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I started out with the kettleworx program.
    Its been a while, but looking back at photos I can see a difference.
    Not sure the #s or anything like that.

I work out 3 times a week with kettlebells.

I've been turning on JM just to have direction since I have misplaced my interval timer :/
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I have DVDs but I like the free video workouts at LiveFitRevolution.org.

Don't bother with anything under 18 lbs, for a starter kettlebell.