weird or right dr. advice?

Options
So my dr. Said to speed up weightloss i dont want to plateu so she recomended in the begining work out 3 days one week the next week work out five days, then the third week staying moving (ie walking) but dont do any actual workouts, then the following week start back at 3 x a week and follow that pattern. Does this make sence or is he whack?

Replies

• kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    So my dr. Said to speed up weightloss i dont want to plateu so she recomended in the begining work out 3 days one week the next week work out five days, then the third week staying moving (ie walking) but dont do any actual workouts, then the following week start back at 3 x a week and follow that pattern. Does this make sence or is he whack?

That doesn't make sense at all, but I honestly have no clue. I would go to an expert on weight loss and nutrition for advice but your doctor should know best
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Since I don't know what else you discussed with your doctor about any limitations or over all health, it is difficult to comment. It is not unreasonable to follow a schedule like that. If you feel like you need more, go for some walks.
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amusgrave
    amusgrave Posts: 79
    Options
    Well for now since i am loosing weight pretty regularly i'll stick to what i've been doing. Counting calories, and exercise when i get the time
  • dearlittlebee
    Options
    I think it makes sense. Maybe your doctor is recommending this so you wont get bored of the same routine and go back to doing nothing. I would give it a try if I were you, and if you don't like it, then consult an expert on weight loss like the previous people commented :]
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's very weird advice; he doesn't want your body to get used to the work outs. If your body gets used to the work outs, you won't lose weight, or if you do- it won't be very much.

That's just my opinion.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've read about this and doing a similar thing with calories, basically the little bit of research they had supported the idea that varying your workouts and even your calorie intake has a positive effect on metabolism. Basically gives it a little boost, but I haven't done it and don't have a clue if it actually works. It could just have been another "great" study to sell books and your doctor just happened to read it?
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's very weird advice; he doesn't want your body to get used to the work outs. If your body gets used to the work outs, you won't lose weight, or if you do- it won't be very much.

I always thought you would vary your workout with different kinds of exercise, not different days, but I'm not a doctor. Although, I've been given some bad advice from doctors before only because their specialty was not nutrition and exercise.
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Well no it doesn't but it is swapping out a routine and changing things up. It's only 3 weeks, Maybe try it and let us all know how things go!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Most GP's don't have a clue about how to structure exercise. They know that you should exercise for various health considerations but do not mistake your doctor for being a physical trainer. Most male doc's I've seen couldn't bench press their body weight.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. Not so much to speed weightloss as to maximize my workouts. Just like with food, your body can get used to too much regularity. So I have workout intense weeks (or peak weeks) and active rest weeks and then 2 or 3 in between ones. It's not the program your dr. prescribe exactly, but a similar idea. Rest weeks are important because they let your muscles relax and release some of the water they retain for healing, and peak weeks are important to me, because they are where I make my achievements (speed/distance for running, reps/sets for strength).
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    its called muscle confusion P90x does that ... its to make sure your muscles dont get used to the same movement or something like that
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options

I always thought you would vary your workout with different kinds of exercise, not different days, but I'm not a doctor. Although, I've been given some bad advice from doctors before only because their specialty was not nutrition and exercise.

I must of misread, I thought the OP said she was going to do different work outs during the different weeks as well... opps.

What I posted still stands, though. The walking/stay moving part changes up the routine.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    It makes sense. It's just using the "switch things up" principle so your body doesn't get used to what you are doing.
  • going2befit4ever
    going2befit4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    cant hurt to try it especially if you've plateaued
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

If it works for you, use it. Can't hurt to give it a go.