Clicking jaw when chewing?

Options
roachhaley
roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
Hi, recently I've developed a sore jaw on my left side. The upper and lower part hurts (not all the time, and its pretty dull). It's hard for me to open my mouth all the way and it clicks near my ear when I open my mouth. Anybody know what this could be? A little background - I have an extremely small jaw and have had braces. No wisdom teeth removed yet. My mom also had this issue but I can't remember what the problem was...

Thanks!

Replies

• cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Sounds like TMJ
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had whiplash? My jaw started doing this and has gotten progressively worse since I had severe whiplash back in 2003.

(and it is, as the above poster mentioned, TMJ)
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Sounds like TMJ

This is what I thought of.
  • SkinnyBlood
    Options
    agreed with everyone that said TMJ, my grandmother has it.
  • mamnboston
    mamnboston Posts: 81
    Options
    TMJ for sure, try to find a dentist that specializes in treating TMJ because it could develop into something worse than just the clicking if you don't take care of the problem.
  • bexy_27
    bexy_27 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have this too. My dentist calls it TMJ. It was explained to me like this:

I have an uneven bite, so my back teeth hit first on one side, and then my jaw slides to hit on the other side. The sliding stretches the tendon in my jaw. The loose tendon allows the jaw to be loose and pop.

I most likely grind my teeth in my sleep, which exacerbates the problem, so my dentist wants to try a nightguard to stop the grinding.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I also have TMJ and it blows. I used to wake up with my jaw completely LOCKED and could not open it more than like half an inch or so. Also comes with swelling and popping all the time. Good luck. There isn't much they can do about it. Or at least that's what I've been told. Other than surgery, but I'd rather just live with it than get my face completely rearranged.
  • Sphilips1909
    Sphilips1909 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would definately call your dentist. They for sure would have Xrays that they may reference to see if there is an underlying issue and probably have your moms history as well. This can be TMJ, stress related or something else. I would definately check with your dentist becuase your jaw and teeth are nothing to ignore.

Do you grind your jaw at night? Have migraines or other neck pain?
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Definitely TMJ, I've had that issue for years. It's never been painful for me though, just clicks, so I haven't seen anyone about it yet. I can deal with a cracking jaw every now and then
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people that have the "clicking" jaw. Here is an article that might be of some help:

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/11477/1/What-Causes-Jaw-Clicking.html
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yep. Likely TMJ. I have it. It's a total pain. Gives me tinnitus,headaches, inner ear itch, and I now wear a teeth guard to bed. I clench, not grind, so my guard only covers my front teeth. SEX-AAAY.

Edit to say I get acupuncture done on my jaw. Works amazing!
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you have TMJ. I currently have that as well and sometimes my jaw gets very sore. You want to avoid chewing gum, crunching ice or hard candy, or limit foods that take a lot of time to chew (tough meats, taffy, very crunchy chips, etc) I find that I clench my teeth throughout the day. Some people get a sore jaw from There are exercises you can do to strengthen the jaw area and assist with range of motion (you can find them with a quick search through google). If it continues to worsten (like mine did) you will want to check with your Dr. I currently have to take muscle relaxers here and there to help with relaxing the jaw so that I can sleep at night. Good luck! :wink:
  • roachhaley
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll definitely have this checked out ASAP. According to my boyfriend, I do sometimes grind my jaw at night. I also clench my jaw a lot and get headaches from that. My orthodontist has commented before that I had an uneven bite, so it seems that everyone may be right about TMJ.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Sounds like TMJ. There are a few reasons for it, and even a number of treatment options. Usually you start with a dentist and then possibly an orthopedic surgeon if other treatments fail.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Mine does it too.... =( People notice it too.. it isn't really serious.. I live with it.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Interesting that you say you clench your teeth and grind them at night - exactly the same as me. My TMJ got sorted with a mouthpiece (bit like the gumshields that boxers wear) to wear at night. I was also given exercises by my dentist to relax the muscles around my face. Still can't open my mouth very wide or it gets stuck (ow!) but most of the time there is no clicking or locking.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll definitely have this checked out ASAP. According to my boyfriend, I do sometimes grind my jaw at night. I also clench my jaw a lot and get headaches from that. My orthodontist has commented before that I had an uneven bite, so it seems that everyone may be right about TMJ.

You'll probably get those mouth guards that you wear to bed..
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    My husband has TMJ and has similar symptoms to what you describe. He really aggravated it by chewing gum especially while he was driving. Apparently chewing gum in L.A. traffic caused him to clench his jaw so much that he caused himself harm.
  • roachhaley
    Options

You'll probably get those mouth guards that you wear to bed..

SEXY.
    honestly knowing me i probably wouldnt remember to wear it, but i'd give it a go. i like the idea of muscle relaxers - i'm constantly clenching my jaw and that is probably not helping anything
  • Camsmom2010
    Options
    I have to agree with those that said TMJ. I have had it since High School (was in a bad car accident and have had issues ever since). I had to use bite guard at night in the past. Also, had some physical therapy. It's better now (there are relaxation exercises available to help) If you ever have any questions about how to deal with the pain and discomfort let me know!