Protein?

Options
How much protein should I be aiming for? MFP sets me up with a goal of 56 grams, but from research (The Blood Type Diet, in particular -- I'm Type O / The Hunter), I'm pretty sure I need more, especially if I want to lose fat and gain muscle.

Thoughts? What are your protein goals?

Replies

• bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle = eat .8g-1g of protein per pound of bodyweight with a caloric surplus. So if you're 110 pounds and you want to gain muscle you'd be eating close to (or more than) 110g of protein per day.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I always aim to go as high as I can and over the MFP recommendations for protein esp. since I am trying to gain muscle (and lose fat)
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Here is an article that might be of some help for you:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein.htm

enjoy :happy:
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    RATIO is 1:10 SO FOR EVERY HUNDRED CALORIES AIM TO EAT 10g of protien!!!! SO IF 1000 calories, eat 100g of protien, but make sure u drink enough water...besides, if u stick to this rule, you wont be hungry at all and you probably wont be able to consume too many calories which equals to weigh loss!!!
  • glennaparks
    glennaparks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle = eat .8g-1g of protein per pound of bodyweight with a caloric surplus. So if you're 110 pounds and you want to gain muscle you'd be eating close to (or more than) 110g of protein per day.

What do you mean by caloric surplus? As in, even if this puts me over my daily goal?
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I manually re-set my calorie/macro settings on here so that out of my 1400 calories per day, 40% come from protein, 30% from carbs, 30% fats. That has me at a pretty large amount of protein, but it's really working for me big time. My diary is public if you wanna take a look :smile:
  • BrionaLoree
    Options
    im always over on the MFP protien amount, but apparently im ok lol. thanks, this was really helpfull
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I agree with the higher protein rules and suggestions but MFP sets mine much lower than that. Does anyone know why?
  • EvieNieves
    EvieNieves Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I always go over my protein..everything else I try to meet or stay under. It's 1 gram of protein per pound. Which I've heard is what bodybuilders do. So if you weight 140 lbs you can aim to about 140grams of protein.....definitely go OVER your protein goal on MFP :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

What do you mean by caloric surplus? As in, even if this puts me over my daily goal?
    Meaning to gain muscle you need a calorie surplus. You can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit. Physics and biology prevent it.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I agree with the higher protein rules and suggestions but MFP sets mine much lower than that. Does anyone know why?

MFP's default is something like 55% carbs, 30% fat, and only 15% protein. I think that might be USDA recommendations, because it's similar to what I got from the USDA site.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The daily recommend intake for a woman per the Institute of medicine is 50g. I personally feel like I have more energy when I eat 1g per pound of body weight.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Meaning to gain muscle you need a calorie surplus. You can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit. Physics and biology prevent it.

While you are correct, I think the OP means more she wants to lose fat and get lean. You CAN maintain most of your muscle mass and strengthen your muscles while on a caloric deficit to lose fat, but you can't technically gain muscle unless you're eating at a surplus.

OP- Keeping your deficit within reason and making sure you're getting plenty of protein/lifting weights is a good way to achieve what I think you're trying to.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Just eating a lot of protein will not cause you gain muscle. You'll have to work those muscles hard too. If you aren't going to put in the work, there is no need to eat all that protein.

I'm not suggesting that the OP or anyone else isn't going to put in the work, just saying that it takes more than just a lot of protein to build muscle.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's because most people don't need higher protein amounts. Most research shows about 50-60 grams of protein a day is sufficient for most people. Only people doing constant high intensity exercise need higher amounts of protein.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I changed my macros to 40% protein, 30/30 carb fat -- so I easilly get 120-150g protein a day.

I think MFP needs a little update.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I changed my macros to 40% protein, 30/30 carb fat -- so I easilly get 120-150g protein a day.

I think MFP needs a little update.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they're recommendations are from the Insitute of Medicine, which is based on the latest scientific evidence. But population based recommendations are never going to be exact for everyone on an individual basis.

Just because there are a lot of bodybuilders on this site that like to eat high protien, does not make it a good, or even safe, recommendation for everyone.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Just eating a lot of protein will not cause you gain muscle. You'll have to work those muscles hard too. If you aren't going to put in the work, there is no need to eat all that protein.

I'm not suggesting that the OP or anyone else isn't going to put in the work, just saying that it takes more than just a lot of protein to build muscle.

Sorry, I thought that was implied. xD
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Don't you mean per Kg of weight not lbs? If you weigh 110 lbs (div by 2.2), you need about 50g of protein if you are active