When to start running outside?

Options
So I am supposed to be on week 6 of the C25K, but last night I decided to try the 5K program on the treadmill...and I did it! I ran the whole thing (okay, I had a three minute break...) in 34:30! I didn't even know I could run that long considering last week I was only doing 6 minute intervals. I have my first official 5K coming up on June 29 and I have not done a rune outside yet. I'm worried that it will be really hard and I will get discouraged. I like the treadmill since it keeps me at a steady pace and I can see how much time I have left, no inclines, etc. But, I know I need to attempt running outside so I am not completely out of my element on race day. Any suggestions on making the transition? Thanks!

Replies

• Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    No real tips, but you definitely want to get outside. It's much different than the treadmill. Hills, wind, possible allergies if that applies, the need to pace yourself, all will make it very different, and you don't want to find all these things for the first time during the 5k.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Physically it's no harder outside than on the treadmill. Mentally it may be a different story until you get used to it. I would recommend getting outside as much as you can starting today. When you feel like stopping just remember that you've already done the distance and your body can handle it.
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a pretty good time for a 5k!

Do it now. Do your current intervals for this week and see how it goes. Don't be afraid to ease off a little while your body adjust. I love running outside. I may not have the data of speed / incline etc until I get home but it feels much more fluid and I'm able to push myself 'just to that tree if I can't finish the interval'
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Take it outside. A treadmill is great if that's all you can use; however despite what some might say about if it's on a certain incline it mimics outside running is usually not correct. Heat, wind, ground surface, you controlling your pace not the treadmill are something to get use to and I wouldn't want to be doing it for the first time during a race.
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Get out and start running! Just keep your expectations low so you don't frustrate yourself. For example when I went out running recently I told my iPod I only wanted to run 2 miles. I was happy to surpass that distance but I set my mind to be happy with just the 2.

As the half miles clicked away toward 3, and then 4 total miles I felt a great sense of accomplishment.

And don't forget to explore the fun of trail running!

-V-
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    Congratulations on your great work so far!

I agree with the rest of the posters that you should try running outside as soon as you can.

You will probably find it hard to begin with, but try to relax and enjoy it. A lot of the issues, at least in my experience, are mental.

I find running outside much more fun than the treadmill now, but I hated it at first.

Don't worry, with practice, you'll be ready for that 5K.
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    ASAP! It's much different running outside than it is inside..I am running a half-marathon this Sunday and I do all my running outside!
  • meliad
    meliad Posts: 71
    Options
    It is just one foot in front of the other like on the treadmill. I recommend using a site like mapmyrun.com to plan a route. Find somewhere pretty or enjoyable away from traffic so that you will enjoy the experience no matter how fast you go. Make a goal to finish and to run the intervals that are on your plan. If a hill comes up while on a running interval just slow your pace as needed to feel the same level of effort as before. You can do it. Running outside is good for your mental health.
  • nikkincs
    nikkincs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, run outside as soon as possible! I just did week 5 day 2 of C25k and I have done all of the running outside except for one time when it was raining. I prefer the outdoors for the change of scenery- it keeps me motivated, staring at a wall of or the rest of the gym can get boring. But I do like how you just tried running the whole distance, I may have to go against my own advice and run on a treadmill to see what it would be like to just try to run the 5k no intervals...I don't know, sounds scary ;) But great job on your accomplishment so far!