Question about the steriods my doctor prescribed.

Options
I am sick and also have asthma. My doctor prescribed steriods along with an anti-biotic. I take 4, then 3, then 2, then 1 a day. I am taking them today, but I am SCARED. I've heard horror stories about people gaining weight on steriods, but I want and need to get better. Do the steriods themselves make people gain weight, or do they just make people really hungry and that's why they gain?? Does anyone know? I've worked so hard and I'm scared to death that this could really throw me off track. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• conniestar
    conniestar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was on steriods for a neural condition a few years ago. I received a MAJOR intravenous dose for 3 days in a row, and then took oral steriods for a couple weeks, in decreasing amounts like you describe. They made me feel "hyper"...like I had to be doing something all the time, and also made me feel like my heart was racing - both of which made it difficult to sleep. I remember feeling hungry a lot, and did gain some weight. BUT....BUT....I was not making an effort to make good choices about what I was eating. I also did not make an effort to really analyze how hungry I was, if at all.

My advice - take the meds you need to take. You know in advance what you are up against, so be aware of what and how much you are eating. Log your calories so you can keep an eye on the reality of how much you are eating and when. Knowledge is better than fear!

Be well.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I was on and off prenisone for over two years for an illness. I was also hyper--and a bit cranky. I also got the steroid puffy face. That being said when you are sick the main thing to worry is doing everything your doctor says to get better. So concentrate on getting well and then worry about your weight.
    Everyone here always talks about the goal is to be healthy first--in this case your goal is to be healthy, then continue to lose weight. It took me six months to lose the puffyness completely--but then the weight just fell off really fast.

On the plus side my house was never as clean as it was when I was on my prednisone "high"...one day I got up at 5am to clean the basement.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I have taken steriods when my allergies have gotten out of control. I had concerns too, I have an aunt and a cousin who have taken predizone (spelling?) and both gained weight, but both make a lot of excuses too.

Steriods do have side effects, increased appetite is definitely one of them. Try to keep that in mind and keep track of your food and you should be ok. You can get a puffy face and retain water, if the side effects get to be too much talk to your doctor to monitor when you may be able to reduce or eliminate the steroids.

Like mountainmaire said, your focus right now is to get healthier and if weight gain from steroids is part of that then just you need to be ok with it. Keep in mind, most people that go off of a steroid lose quite a bit of that weight rapidly so it is a temporary problem!

:flowerforyou:
  • mjkon
    mjkon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is very unlikely that short term use such as you described will cause weight gain. Take the medication as prescribed--controlling your asthma is more important.
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am logging and continuing to do my best. And YES, they are making me feel a little crazy! If I can just get through these next few days....
  • incorporeally
    incorporeally Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am also asthmatic and have been on prednisone a number of times. If you are only going to be on it for a few days, I don't think you have to worry about gaining. That is more of a long term side effect. However, you will be wildly productive, which could boost your workouts, although I would take it easy on the cardio if your asthma is too bad.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I've had asthama all my life. I think prednisone is great stuff if you need it.

If what you've been doing is effective just keep doing it, any weight loss/gain will be temporary. Like said above the key thing is to get back to 100 percent so you can continue your weight loss.