How to spice up boneless-skinless chicken breast and plain b

Options
What spices do you all use to make your chicken and brown rice taste a little bit more interesting?

I've been eating both plain. I'm just wondering if any of you have found a certain combination of spices that make it taste oh so much more flavorful. (no added calories if you can avoid it please :))

Thanks

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,713 Member
    Options
    Garlic, onion and ginger are all good ones for both chicken and brown rice.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Garlic, black pepper, thyme, paprika, onion powder. Just about anything.

How are you cooking the chix? I like to simmer it slow in a pan with just a touch of olive oil and some onions/green pepper/shrooms. Those add just almost no cal's and really make it a meal.
  • doubleloop23
    Options
    If you go to your local grocery store and go down the baking aisle where all of the spices are there are a ton of spice blends for chicken. Greek spices are also really awesome on chicken. Hope this helps!:flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Chicken, I love lemon, garlic, and rosemary, thyme or sage. Also marinating chicken in OJ and salsa then grilling, it will taste like fajitas. Another is to soak it in buttermilk and rosemary for a day, this is very good and surprisingly lf.

As far as any rice goes, I always cook my rice in chicken broth instead of water, or at least 1/2 water and 1/2 broth. I cook mine by putting some olive oil in a sauce pan and once heated I add the rice, let it brown to bring out a really nutty flavor and then add the chicken broth, tastes great and reheats well. I have also add toasted nuts or veggies to the rice, like artichoke hearts or asparagus on a few occasions but I prefer browning then cooking.
  • MillieFicarra
    MillieFicarra Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :smile: I use a teaspoon of a good olive oil dipping oil and brush it over the breast. It adds a few calories, but the olive oil is great for you and the seasonings in it give the chicken really good flavor. Good luck. Millie
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,713 Member
    Options
    Chicken, I love lemon, garlic, and rosemary, thyme or sage. Also marinating chicken in OJ and salsa then grilling, it will taste like fajitas. Another is to soak it in buttermilk and rosemary for a day, this is very good and surprisingly lf.

As far as any rice goes, I always cook my rice in chicken broth instead of water, or at least 1/2 water and 1/2 broth. I cook mine by putting some olive oil in a sauce pan and once heated I add the rice, let it brown to bring out a really nutty flavor and then add the chicken broth, tastes great and reheats well. I have also add toasted nuts or veggies to the rice, like artichoke hearts or asparagus on a few occasions but I prefer browning then cooking.
    Can I come over to your house for rice? That sounds delicious!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I love Shake n Bake extra crispy on my baked boneless skinless chicken. I've searched for a more natural option, but don't like anything nearly as well as the Shak n Bake. Chicken breast is also good pan fried with a little olive oil (I use Omega Oil from President's Choice), and good plain or dipped in just about anything...I like plain old ketchup. As for brown rice- I can't even eat it without hot sauce- it adds so much flavor.
  • calico
    Options
    I like to use a packet of dry ranch dressing mix or italian dressing mix. I just rub it on dry, bake, and they turn out delicious!!
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I like mine pretty ordinary I guess :laugh: I normally just pan cook mine in PAM cooking spray and add pepper and garlic. I do have a yummy marinade recipe, not sure what the measurements are off the top of my head but it includes soy sauce; lemon, lime OR grapefruit juice, basil and garlic. It's soo good. I eat a lot of chicken on salads or wraps. For brown rice I usually add some onion, garlic, olive oil and reduced fat parm cheese (sometimes I leave the cheese out) You can also add some crushed tomatoes with onion and garlic and it's really good.
  • meana717
    meana717 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    for rice... we use beef builion granules, oregano, basil, and garlic! Turns out SUPER awesome!
  • BoilerMaker22
    BoilerMaker22 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use a george foreman to cool my chicken. It's pretty nice.

I tried going to the store to take a look at the beef/chicken broth to cook the rice with, but they both have a lot of sodium in them. One thing I'm trying to keep down is my sodium, so I think the broth would be out of the question. I just bought a bunch of spices, though, so hopefully I'll find a combination that'll be awesome!
  • danielley08
    Options
    They make low-sodium broth...should be right by the regular stuff...
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I place my chicken on a piece of tin foil sprayed with a little pam then top with my homemade chunky salsa then just a sprinkle of shredded cheese, tent the tin foil so it wont stick to cheese, pinch closed and bake in 350 oven for 18 to 20 minutes! Same with rice!!