Nook, Kindle, iPad, or tablet?

Options
So I've been contemplating on which one of these to buy, I want something that I can download textbooks in but I also wanna use it for class to take notes and record lectures and etc. I've never had one before so I'm not too sure what's the difference between all of them and I was wondering could you guys tell me your experiences with them so I can narrow down what I eventually wanna get? All and any input will be appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have a kindle, but I prefer my tablet to read on. My boyfriend likes to pinch the kindle to read on because he hates using his tablet.

Maybe find a shop where they have them on display and see which one you prefer? If I was doing notes, I'd use my tablet because it has a keyboard attachment, it would be hard to take fast enough notes without any keyboard.
  • myshell67
    myshell67 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a nook color, and an ipad. the nook is great for reading, but the ipad is so much more versatile, i'd say it's definitely worth the extra $$ :smile:
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm a student, and I love my iPad. I have a great word processing programme on it that allows me to write essays in the format required for my course. I can access all my documents on the college computers via iCloud. There are various apps for taking notes in class, I've not looked into these yet, but I plan to next year.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I vote iPad. I have a Kindle Touch, which is great for normal books, but iPad would be much more useful for textbooks and note taking. Kindle Fire is basically a rather small tablet, it's main advantage is it's a cheap tablet. As for other tablets, it's really a personal preference depending on what operating system you prefer.
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle Fire and absolutely love it. Have often joked that I could dump my laptop now that I have the Kindle. Don't know about recording lectures with it. Maybe someone else can comment on that.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I have an ipad but I don't really like reading on it. I just prefer books, I guess. I can't imagine reading textbooks electronically! It would be such a different experience. I got the Starting Strength book electronically and I keep wishing I had the paper version to highlight and make notes in the margins, and tag pages, and take to the gym.
    As far as taking notes, I would want the keyboard, I think. I don't know about recording any sound...
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle Fire, and while I love it for reading, I would not like to take notes on it. I'd look into an ipad or other larger tablet if that is something you think you will regularly be using it for.
  • Sk8rG
    Sk8rG Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just for reading KINDLE. But if you want to be able to take notes then I guess I'd go with iPad. I don't like reading on the iPad though - makes my eyes water after a while and I find it too heavy.
  • inraptorswetrust
    inraptorswetrust Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I used my ipad a lot during my last year in college. I downloaded texts, .pdfs, took notes, even wrote papers! There are a lot of great apps that are designed for students. I had one called In Class and it had a calender built in with a to do list so you could make sure you did all your assignments, had separate tabs for each class where you could type notes or do audio recording for lectures.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Apple fanboy in the house........iPad all the way.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm a apple junkie! Love my iPad...
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,034 Member
    Options
    My daughter loves her kindle fire. No service fee as long as you have wifi, and it is very easy to use. She doesn't use it for taking notes, though, so I don't know how that would work.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle Fire, and while I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, if you are wanting to take notes I would actually recommend the iPad. There are just certain things the iPad can do that the Kindle can not.
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    I love my ipad- but the kindle is better for reading outside
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    iPad! I have the first generation iPad and I freaking love it! I am on it all the time. For me it's a min-computer. I have the kindle app on it so I can download books, I have the Docs-to-go app on it so I can use word, excel and all that good stuff. I love love LOVE my iPad.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If you want to take notes and record lectures you'll need a tablet that can use a wireless keyboard most likely. You can draw on tablets, but it's never going to be as fast as taking notes by hand (maybe if you use an iPad it's faster, but I have more experience with a Touchpad and there's a lag). If you want to download textbooks, you're probably going to want something with a color display if there are a lot of diagrams, too.

I love my HP Touchpad, although it is jailbroken with an Android ICS OS instead of WebOS. I got it when they stopped making them and were on sale for $99 - otherwise I never would have gotten a tablet. That said, now that I have one, I love it. But, it will never replace a laptop with a keyboard for me, so I mainly use my TouchPad to read.

iPads are nice, but I prefer Google (Android) to Apple. If you are looking to do more than just read or play games on it, I would recommend a better processor and more memory, which means probably an iPad or Android tablet.
  • fudgebudget
    Options
    I'm a student, and I love my iPad. I have a great word processing programme on it that allows me to write essays in the format required for my course. I can access all my documents on the college computers via iCloud. There are various apps for taking notes in class, I've not looked into these yet, but I plan to next year.

Any computer can also access Google Drive (formerly Google Docs) - I mention this for anyone reading this thread, because as a college librarian I see people lose documents all the time and really encourage people to work on the cloud.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I think for the uses you are looking for, you probably want a tablet. If you have a smart phone - you might want to get one with the same operating system as my phone. If you have an Android phone, consider an Android tablet. If you have an iPhone, consider the iPad.

Not only would you already be familiar with the functionality, but you may be able to load a number of useful apps you have already purchased.
  • fudgebudget
    Options
    I think for the uses you are looking for, you probably want a tablet. If you have a smart phone - you might want to get one with the same operating system as my phone. If you have an Android phone, consider an Android tablet. If you have an iPhone, consider the iPad.

Not only would you already be familiar with the functionality, but you may be able to load a number of useful apps you have already purchased.
    ^^^ This. My Android tablet synchs apps with my Android phone. I have a Kindle app on both, so if I get stuck in a line, etc., without my tablet and end up reading on my phone, it will still save my place in the book when I go to read on my tablet later.
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have an iPad that I use to read books and take notes. When taking notes I sometimes use a word processor, sometimes I take handwritten notes (with a stylus). The handwriting apps take a little while to get used to but I like it (a lot of my notes include sketches).
    I have an Android phone and I try to find apps that are on both iOS and android platforms. So far I have been pretty successful at accessing data across platforms.