Biking for Weight Loss- Have You Lost?

Options
It is unbelievable (and very motivating) how many calories you can burn in just half an hour of biking! Does anyone use biking as their primary source of exercise? I'd love some success stories and tips!

Replies

• MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Bump- I'm very curious to see if anyone has had any success!
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    i do a lot of spin and I find that it keeps me in good shape. Definitely a good calorie burner. I usually do the 45 min class but we have a 60 min class that always pushes me and makes me sore! lol
  • atla_moves
    atla_moves Posts: 54
    Options
    I did a lot of biking last summer and lost 20 lbs! When I first started, I could only bike 3.5 miles at a time, but by the end of the summer I was up to 20 miles.

Now I use my bike more as transportation around town occasionally and do more hiking as exercise. I love cycling, but I feel guilty when I go out to exercise without my dog because she loves walking/running/hiking. I couldn't maintain the schedule of both hiking and cycling, so that's why I simply hike more this summer.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Just biked for the first time this weekend so I can't help. But interested to see the responses. In fact, I posted earlier this week questioning the high calorie burn my HRM gave me for my slow 6 mile ride.
  • tishajo
    tishajo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • cjv428
    cjv428 Posts: 124
    Options
    I've recently started biking to supplement my gym workouts. I've gone for three 5-mile rides and one 8-mile ride. I burned ~200 calories on the 5-mile rides and ~300 on the 8-mile ride. I'm about to go out for my second 8-mile ride as soon as I get my butt in gear. I've definitely been slimming down and losing body fat, but I eat really healthy and workout at the gym in addition to biking. :)
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I bike around 13 miles a weekend to stay in shape and it is a very good workout. If you want to work your whole body though, I suggest swimming or running :)
  • dcazll
    dcazll Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump, I just got my first bike in about 15 years for my birthday at the weekend. I went for a 1.5 mile bike ride with my kids and loved it! Although my a** was really sore the next day lol. I'm trying to get the courage to go out on my own.
  • capperboy
    capperboy Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    cycling is my major form of exercise apart from some jogging.
    Since January 1 i have cycled 5548 miles average speed of 14.13 mph.
    During this time I have lost 24 lbs in maintenance mode now.
  • MaryPhillips90
    Options
    Thanks, guys!
    I'm still hurting from the 7 miles day before yesterday. As soon as I'm feeling better, I'm going to bike daily to up my exercise.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I do, but mostly because it's what I love. I did a little over 50 miles on the road Saturday... would have done more had my schedule allowed for it. Unfortunately I cracked the frame on my mountain bike, so I haven't been on the trails in a few weeks.

I eat right to lose weight.
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    I use biking as my primary form of exercise, I bike between 90 and 150 km a week,
    So far I am down about 47 lbs, once I was below 260 I got a new road bike that fits me and have been enjoying it every day I can!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I like to do the recumbant bike at the gym a few times a week (40 minutes). I think it does wonders for your legs. MFP gives you a boatload of calories for it compared to walking...no idea of that's accurate but I do think it's a good workout.
  • MaryPhillips90
    Options
    I wish I had a stationary bike. I don't know what I'm going to do during winter!
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a stationary bike. I don't know what I'm going to do during winter!

You can usually pick up a stationary bike on craigslist pretty cheap from someone who's just using it as a clothesline!

I just started biking a couple days ago, so can't help with the original question. But I do feel better already and looking forward to next week's weigh-in.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

You can also get a trainer, which turns your bike into a stationary bike. No fancy displays, programs or courses, but it works pretty damn well.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I got a bike last summer for the first time since high school and I love it!

Biking is my primary form of exercise, but I don’t even feel like I do it that much. I ride to work at least 2-3 days a week (depending on weather) and that’s 2.5 miles each way. I also like to go for long rides on weekends. My bf and I will head out for the day and ride along the river, stop for coffee or lunch, enjoy the scenery, etc. and before you know it we’ve gone 20 miles.

I did 8 miles last night pretty easily.

Can’t say how it’s affecting my losses really, I just enjoy myself. That’s the only way to exercise for me.
  • stingray_11
    Options

You can usually pick up a stationary bike on craigslist pretty cheap from someone who's just using it as a clothesline!

I just started biking a couple days ago, so can't help with the original question. But I do feel better already and looking forward to next week's weigh-in.
  • stingray_11
    Options
    you can pick up a trainer to put you bike on. your rear wheel fits on it and it works great. I use one all the time. I use to log about 10,000 a year.