has anyone tried brewers yeast

Options
i asked a personal trainer friend to suggest something for belly fat- she suggested brewers yeast..... anyone have any experience with it?

Replies

• jdsmom0104
    jdsmom0104 Posts: 236
    Options
    bump
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    What are you going to brew with it??
  • jdsmom0104
    Options
    as a supplement for belly fat reducing...
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've read that brewer's yeast is pretty nasty tasting, but never heard of it doing anything to belly fat. Did she possibly mean nutritional yeast, which is packed with vitamins and protein?

http://www.nowfoods.com/Supplements/Products-by-Category/Brewers-Yeast-Nutritional-Yeast/M003476.htm
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Okay, it looks like our beloved Dr. Oz has been pushing brewer's yeast. But he seems to confuse brewer's yeast with nutritional yeast, which, as far as I know, are not the same thing.

Kitchen Secret #4: Brewer’s Yeast

Skip the artificial butter and try sprinkling brewer’s yeast (sometimes called nutritional yeast) on your popcorn like the Oz family does. While you may be familiar with other types of yeast for making your bread rise, brewer’s yeast (which, yes, is also used to ferment beer) is loaded with nutritional benefits. Nutritional brewer's yeast has been shown to raise high-density lipoprotein (good cholesterol) levels while reducing low-density lipoprotein (bad cholesterol) levels, prevent heart disease, help control blood sugar, protect against liver cancer, and even help clear up acne. You can usually find it in the bulk aisle of most natural food stores.
  • melissachipman123
    Options
    Alot of people call brewers yeast , nutritional yeast by mistake. Nutritional yeast is a must have for popcorn for me! It's so yummy and good for you! You can buy it in bulk at any health food store. I don't know all the weight loss benifits but sure is better for you then butter on popcorn!

Just an FYI if you love popcorn you can just put whole kernels in a brown bag and pop in microwave it works exactly the same, no butter or special package needed.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Okay, it looks like our beloved Dr. Oz has been pushing brewer's yeast. But he seems to confuse brewer's yeast with nutritional yeast, which, as far as I know, are not the same thing.

Skip the artificial butter and try sprinkling brewer’s yeast (sometimes called nutritional yeast) on your popcorn like the Oz family does. While you may be familiar with other types of yeast for making your bread rise, brewer’s yeast (which, yes, is also used to ferment beer) is loaded with nutritional benefits. Nutritional brewer's yeast has been shown to raise high-density lipoprotein (good cholesterol) levels while reducing low-density lipoprotein (bad cholesterol) levels, prevent heart disease, help control blood sugar, protect against liver cancer, and even help clear up acne. You can usually find it in the bulk aisle of most natural food stores.

Looks like Dr. Oz needs better interns to do research.
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    have you considered sit ups?
  • jdsmom0104
    Options
    not sure if ur tryna be a smartass... but yes, i do sit ups, all kinds of ab workouts when i do zumba, cardio kickboxing, jillian michael & bob harper dvds & bootcamp 3-6days/wk
  • jdsmom0104
    Options
    if not, disregard the hostility
  • jdsmom0104
    Options

hmmm, looks like brewers & nutritional are 2 diff things...i love popcorn & dont get the buttered flavors, i have seen a pizza type recipe on dr oz's show i haven't tried.