How did YOU do it???

Options
jennpasic
jennpasic Posts: 11 Member
Hi I would like to know how you lost your weight how many calories were you eating and what was your workout routine. I have been trying for months but I just stay the same.

Replies

• kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi I would like to know how you lost your weight how many calories were you eating and what was your workout routine. I have been trying for months but I just stay the same.

-5'3", SW164, CW154 lbs, 38 years old
    -still lossing
    -right now I have my calories set to 1740 (goal weight X 12) and try to not eat exercise calories back
    -Run/walk mainly only exercise other then gardening, mowing lawn, house chores, etc.

I too find it really hard to lose weight. Seems to be a very slow process for me and I get discouraged and change my daily calories around, etc. I read all the success stories of people who start very heavy and now weigh less then me and I wonder why I can't do that. Maybe my body is just happy at this weight and I'm trying to force it.
    Anyway, my goal is Healthy no matter what the scale says.
  • samakain
    samakain Posts: 60
    Options
    I really just started not too long ago. I find people who are heavier tend to lose more quickly than those who are 20-30lbs overweight. I had to change my diet drastically after being hospitalized with gallstone pancreatitis a month ago. I now eat very clean (no processed, no excess sugar). I have been forced to eat very low fat so I mostly stick to fruit, veggies, fish and water.
    For exercise (upon recommendation from my cardiologist) I walk 4-5km/3-5 days a week. That's pretty much it. I have been thinking about doing the C25K once I get some more weight off (and get the ok from my doctor). I am going in for surgery on Friday to have my gallbladder removed so will have to take it easy for a couple of weeks. I think it's going to drive me crazy because I am kind of addicted to walking!
  • jennpasic
    jennpasic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh good luck with everything and thank you for the reply. I know we can do it :)
  • isk8nbessy
    isk8nbessy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hello! Here's how it went down :)

Journey began Nov, 2011
    Ht: 5'3"
    SW: 145 CW 127

For the months of Nov, Dec, Jan I stayed strictly to a 1200 cal/day diet. My macro nutrients were set at 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat. In hindsight after the first month I should have balanced my protein and carbs to 40% and 40% because my energy suffered a bit. During these three months I stayed 100% committed to Turbo Fire (which by the way is one of the most fun workouts I've ever done... and I'm a in home workout junky). I lost all my weight during this program.
    Then in April, 2012 I graduated on to P90X and have continued to lose inches (haven't totalled this loss yet because I'm not quite done with the program).

Feel free to message me if you have any questions that I didn't address here :)
    Best of luck!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP mainly for my family but I can tell you what has worked for me (over the years). I've always been between 165-175 lbs. since high school. The most important thing is your diet. Eating clean, lots of lean meats, veggies, fruits. Avoid anything out of a bag or box (except cereal) and lessen your sweetened drinks.

Second, I've always been a runner. I saw C25K mentioned and I highly recommend it. Think about it: when was the last time you saw an overweight runner? They are always burning more calories than they expend because it takes a lot of calories to run! I've done 5k's, 8k's, 10k's, a half and full marathon and I assure you if you train for one you will lose weight. I would burn sometimes 1,000+ calories in a day for a 10 mile run!!

Lastly, let me mention determination. You have to be determined to reach your goals. No one told me at mile 23 of the marathon it was going to be that hard (well they did but you have to experience it) and you have two choices...quit or go forward. You need that "voice", whatever it is inside, that you are going to succeed no matter what. It especially comes in handy when you have to make a decision between dessert which will put you over or not :)

So that's pretty much it. Watch what you eat and move, move, move. I also throw in circuit training, weights, I've run the Warrior Dash twice - I love a challenge.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400 calories if I want to eat more I do the amount of exercise it takes for me to burn the extra calories
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and I started this because of my daughter's encouragement since what I was doing wasn't working for me any more. I was basically skipping supper and eating salads all week and lots of junk on the weekend. I usually could lose the few pounds I gained on the weekend by eating the salads but my metabolism starting slowing down and I wasn't able to lose the extra pounds the way I had in the past so I decided to give this a try

Started Feb 27 at 146 pounds eating 1000 calories a day (becasue I was used to skipping meals is why I started at 1000)

5/25/12 I was down to 128.8

5/25/12 I increased my calories to 1100 a day

6/8/12 I was down to 126.4

6/8/12 I increased my calories to 1200 a day

and I am losing yet again (today I weighed 125.2). I have been keeping a journal on my progress that is why I can put the actual dates and numbers here for you.

Hope this helps

I don't need to lose any more so what I am trying to do now is upping my calorie intake to a maintenance level. So every 2 weeks I'm adding another 100 calories a day more til I quit losing.

The only exercise I do is walking about 25 minutes a day 4 times a week. I have also started jumping rope for about 2 minutes. I am now trying to do lunges to try and tone up some.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I work out daily, in one way or another, most days it's a bike ride or some jogging and walking, and a few days a week, i lift weights. I'm constantly switching it up. Honestly, i don't work out near as hard as i could/should. The main reason i lost so much weight is my change in diet.

My thinking when it came to my diet was basically fruits and veggies are good, meats, dairy, oils, man-made foods, are bad. So i just increased my consumption of fruits and veggies, and decreased my consumption of the bad stuff. I quit most of that stuff all together, and only ate it occasionally. Now i don't eat meat/dairy/processed food at all, and my weight is still dropping daily, plus my energy is vastly increased, and my skin looks better.

I don't calorie restrict! If i'm only eating fruits and veggies, i have to track sometimes to make sure i'm getting ENOUGH calories, because natural plant based foods are not as calorically dense as foods with oils and processed carbs.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I started just walking. The first day, I went @ 1/2mi and wanted to die. Gradually added time, now I even jog a little. Cleaned up my diet. No sugary drinks, fast food or very much white stuff. I did not give up anything I couldn't live w/o (chocolate-yum). I didn't do insane workouts that I couldn't keep up forever. I do cardio 5 days a week and lift 3 days (not heavy, too old for that).Planning what I eat is key for me. Seeing the calories in print really helped, too. Had a huge plateau at one time. I found out I was kidding myself about how much food I was eating. Mfp really helped w/ that. Got a heart rate monitor, to be more sure of calories burned. Wish there was a magic bullet, but is is just hard work & dedication. Good luck in your journey
  • BostonMatt
    BostonMatt Posts: 258
    Options
    I was diagnosed as a pre-diabetic and lost all my weight counting calories and exercising. I felt great but stopped doing everything I learned. I gained half the weight back but hope to be back on track for the last time. I have a great support group again and very focused.

I still feel counting calories is the best for me. Here's to hoping I'm doing this for the last time. And if it's not, next time it will be. ;)

Matt
  • grosler
    grosler Posts: 4
    Options
    Start weight 260
    Todays weight 210
    4.5 months into this diet

All I did was decrease my calorie intake from (insert really high number here) to 900 calories/day. After two months of this I upped this to 1250 calories/day.

On average I'm losing about 2 pounds a week now. I haven't been doing any exercise except for riding my bike once a week (about 10 miles).

All I did was buy lean cuisines and try to eat the majority of my calories during breakfest/lunch. I do eat dinner but never more than 300 calories. For me, I think the lean cuisines worked (mostly due to portion control). For snacks and such I eat baby carrots and celery.

It's all about calories in/calories out. I honestly don't think anything else matters.

Best of luck to you,
    Greg
  • justincortes1
    Options
    Decreased my calorie intake from what was probably well over 4000 to 2000 a day. I try to walk about 1.5 miles a few days a week. I shoot for lower sugar and lower fat. Also I make sure and eat something within 1 hour of waking up to start my metabolism
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've mostly followed MFP's guidelines. I lost about 30 pounds on a similar site before coming here. Right now I'm eating 1700 calories, for a 1 pound a week loss. I'm eat a mostly vegan low-fat diet, and walk for a minimum 50-60 minutes on my treadmill every day. I only eat back a portion of my exercise calories because I think the treadmill overestimates the calories burned.
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    5/1/12 SW 215.8
    current 190.4

Seriously dropped my calories ( I too was kidding myself about how may I was actually eatting in a day), I eat 95 % clean, I now workout 5 or 6 days a week ( I didnt do anything the first month). Now 6 weeks later down 25 pounds. WOO HOO!!
  • madmex569
    madmex569 Posts: 49
    Options
    start 275 currently 227. i eat only about 1200 calories a day. i know that is pretty low but i'm still losing weight and i haven't been hungry. chicken,eggs,romaine,broccoli. No soda or sweet drinks at all. just water. I walk a lot also,but for me it's been more about eating less than exercising to lose the weight. I'm working out for my health and fitness but the weight loss part has been about the food i eat more than anything. Since i was 275, the weight came off quicker early when i cut back the calories. I don't track my protein/fat/carb ratios too closely. I try not to eat any processed food. Good luck and i hope you find what works for you. Everybody has a different way that works for them
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    Options
    The most important thing is to be determined but patient. You'll find things that work for you, but not for others. Things that work for others, and not for you. And things that work for you for a while, and then frustatingly, just don't any more.

Use the scale, but use measuring tapes and other NSVs (Non-Scale Victories) to see how you're doing.

And, just be kind and gentle with yourself. Weight loss and especially weight loss maintenance are not sprints - they are marathons. Pace yourself. You can do it! :0)
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    SW: 150.5 CW: 142.5 GW: 135

I have been doing the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution since April 1st. I am on week 11 out of 13 (it's a 90 day program) and have had success with it. I've lost 8 lbs and almost 24 inches! I have gotten a lot stronger and have been eating a lot healthier. For the past 2 weeks I have been upping my calories because I wasn't eating enough. My goal was set at 1200 a day, but after doing her workout and then going on the treadmill (walk/jog for 30 min), I realized I needed to eat more! I eat back some of my exercise calories too. I also read something on one of these forums about zig zagging your calories, so I am attempting to do that too! Some days I eat more, some days I eat less! I don't feel hungry and I have a good amount of energy. I also do not feel exhausted since I began this so I know it's helped relieve a lot of stress! Message me if you like!
  • oaks67
    oaks67 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ive bewen at it for 50 days I think lol. I have been at 1200 calories and I exercise 1-3 hrs at least 4 days a week. I eat back some of my exercise calories. I also eat whatever I want. Its worked for me . I think the key is to exercise as well as maintaining your calorie goal
    Good luck
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I net around 1500-1600 calories a day-mostly good stuff (fruits, veggies, chicken, fish, yogurt, oatmeal) but a fair dose of crap as well. I run 5 days a week (about 5-6hrs total per week). I was netting 1200 calories for a few months, but I just need more food than that. I'm happier, as are all the people around me, now that I'm netting 1500. I've consistently lost about .5-1% of my body weight per week (as an average) and am waiting patiently for my first plateau to arrive. I started at 233, now at 167. I'm 5' 4".
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!