Really.....you all look great!

Options
Ok, I know I am impatient but I have been down this road before and I do not lose weight eaily. So to all of you who have lost was it just counting calories? was it a combo of calories & exercise? was it healthier eating? or a combo of all 3?
I am pretty sure I know the answer, but I am struggling with all 3 and just trying to focus on 2 of the 3 right now.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for 13 months now. I started with calorie restriction only. I did that from May until October of 2011 and lost about 25 lbs. Around that time, the weight loss was really slowing/stalling out so I added in exercise. Along the way I've been making better and better food choices, but by no means do I eat "clean". I've lost another 29ish lbs. since adding in exercise. When it started slowing down again, I moved from mainly walking for exercise to mainly running. I'm just now adding in other forms of exercise, like biking and strength training.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I started out in Weight Watchers 2008.. but always some kind if exercise. Just in the begining it was walking on the treadmill for 30 a few times a week. Went from 239 to 200 with that

Then 2009 went from 200 to 183 and the was calorie counting and exercise, just much more exercise much more intense cardi and weight training for toning.

I gained like 12 lbs all the while I was working out... I just wasnt tracking my food.

So now to get the 12+ off, Im luck the working is literally second nature. It's the calorie tracking

Losing weight = 70% diet + 30% exercise.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I think it depends on how big you are when you start to some extent. Like me, I weighed 367 pounds at one point (before starting MFP). I'm at 283 right now and to this point all I have done is count calories and tried to incorporate more fiber and more whole foods to my diet. As I lose more, I expect it will slow down and I will have to start exercising. Hope this helps. Best wishes to you!
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    All three:
    Healthier eating
    Counting calories
    Exercising 5-6x per week.

That's whats been working for me so far!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Counting calories (calorie restriction) is the only thing you really have to do. Exercise helps because then you can eat more. I would worry about those two first. Having said that, "healthier" foods might fill you up more because they are less calorie-dense, so adding in more veggies makes you feel more satieted and makes it easier to stick to. Think of it as an experiment. Try it one way, if it doesn't work, try something else!
  • SCR56
    SCR56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also never thought I could lose weight easily. Before I started MPF I thought I was eating normal portions of "healthy food". But when I actually weighed out everything and tracked everything, and found out the calories in things, I was way off. So in the beginning, Sept 2011, I just focused on smaller portions, then better choices. After 2 months I started losing weight. I was consistently losing 1lb a week with just diet changes and planning out food and weighing everything. It's hard but just be patient, and give your body time to adjust. I hit a plateau around April this year, so I started walking, pushups, lunges. Random little work outs that I do at home. And I started losing inches and not weight, but I'm happy with that. Just be patient, it's hard, but you need to give your body a chance to get used to new eating habits. When I got down on myself for over eating, I would remind myself, that I didn't get over weight over night, and I won't lose weight over night.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know I am impatient but I have been down this road before and I do not lose weight eaily. So to all of you who have lost was it just counting calories? was it a combo of calories & exercise? was it healthier eating? or a combo of all 3?
    I am pretty sure I know the answer, but I am struggling with all 3 and just trying to focus on 2 of the 3 right now.

All of it and patience. And don't over think things it can drive you crazy.
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting. Exercise makes me look better but being strict on calories was what made me lose all my weight (from the 180s down to the 130s). It sucks but it works.
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    its a combo of all three for me, but if you have to focus on just two id say calorie counting and exercise. if youre watching your calories, youll probably have to stick with some healthier foods anyway to stay under the goal. :)
  • Michelle81285
    Options
    I also have a really hard time losing weight. For me to lose weight I have to have all 3, I have to eat clean, count those calories, and exercise. If I do just one of the 3 I can maintain my current weight but I can't lose weight. It is hard, but in the end it is worth it. I have lost 23 pounds since the beginning of this year by doing all 3, and although it is hard and sometimes I fall off the deep end it is worth it in the long run.
  • jennb78
    jennb78 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Firstly, welcome and good luck on your journey. Boy I wish I had some $$ for every time I tried to lose that 20 or 30 lbs... for sure! Have been there so many times for sure and what is different for me this time is the mindset. It's NOT thinking diet, think lifestyle change and it is up to you how far you want to take that. You'll find things that work great for you and you'll run with them because in the end it's all about results. What works great for someone else may not work for you. Set some goals and see what works. If your metabolism is slow and you do lose weight slowly (which is fine) - then adding exercise may be the key to not make you want to give up. Not to mention, you'll keep it off later easier with more muscle mass.

One of my goals for instance, is to be in the healthy BMI range for my weight/height. I want to be able to bike ride, run and hike mountains, etc... as I have never done those things before. It's taken me over a year but I'm getting towards my goal and hopefully you can find the power within you to reach your goals, too! Keep your eyes on the prize!! :flowerforyou:
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've been on/off diets my entire life...the only time I lost weight as fast as some of the people on these boards was when I took phen-phen back in the 90"s.

I get discouraged every time I happen upon someone on these boards who's lost a ton of weight in a short amount of time. I'm getting better about it now because I've realized that even though I've not lost a ton of lbs...I'm really changing the composition of my body the healthy and sustainable way and that's what is really important. I eat HEALTHY...healthier than a lot of the people being congratulated on big weight losses. So I'm just ignoring how LONG its taking me to do this because it IS the last time I'll do this. I'm eating and excersizing this way forever. FYI....it's taken me since January to loose just 14lbs. Don't get discouraged.

Check out fat to fit radio and the eat more to weigh less boards. I've been following that route and I feel great.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    For me it started out with just counting calories, but I wanted more, I started working out, I took out soda's all together and took out deep fried foods and most all other fried foods. I try to live healthier but not always the healthiest eating habits, but It's an improvement from the start.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I have been through this a couple of times, losing 100 twice only to find out both time I was pregnant and regain the weight. In the past I have jumped in and giving it my all and had good results only to go back to my old ways. This time I am starting more slowly. I am watching what I am eating and trying to make better food choices BUT at the same time if I find myself really wanting something I figure it into my planned allotment. This way I don't go over and and then become filled with the guilt feelings that sometimes in the past has caused me to eat even more or to give up completely. I have added some exercise but that hasn't been my first focus yet, becoming comfortable in my eating decision are my focus right now. I am looking and reading about different exercise program for the future b/c I this is about getting healthier with becoming slimmer as a bonus this time around.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    For me it's been a combination of all 3.
    - Count calories, but don't think of food as being bad or something I have to earn. Food is fuel for the body, and it tastes good. I don't exclude things intentionally, but I do portion control. I found that eyeballing or estimating was grossly inaccurate. Food scale and measuring cups have allowed me to start learning what a proper serving size looks like.
    - Healthier choices came naturally to me as I started counting calories and measuring serving sizes. I slip up from time to time, but I don't beat myself up over it. The last couple days I've eaten a bunch of fast food, but squeezed it into my calorie goal after exercise. Doesn't make it healthy, but makes me feel not so bad about it. I simply am going back to planning meals that are healthy.
    - Exercise. For me, I like exercise. I like the feeling of pushing my body and working up a good sweat. You can get a good, whole body workout in inside of an hour when weight lifting. For me a cardio workout like running is generally 45 minutes or less. Lean muscle mass burns calories at rest, where fat burns almost none (which is the point of body fat since it's stored energy). Exercise builds lean muscle mass but does not make you bulky unless you try to get that way. You can lose weight without exercise, but to achieve a good fitness level (being thin and being fit are very different things) you do need exercise.

**Don't be afraid to eat. I started at near 280 lbs on my 6'2" male frame and lost quickly until I hit a hard plateau at about 245. It took me almost as long to get from 245 down to 240 as it did from 278 down to 245. My exercise and fitness have really improved and I think I needed more fuel for my body. Once I hit 240 (my initial goal weight) I recalibrated. Instead of targeting 2 lbs a week loss, I am now targeting 1 lb a week for a couple weeks and then will drop to 1/2 lb. I'm eating more and feeling much better.

In the end you have to figure out what works for you. What worked for me, worked for me. It might work for you, it might not. Try different approaches and give each some time to take affect.
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    No exercise - only counting calories & healthier choices. I am handicapped and can walk about a block with a cane so I have had to do this without the activity portion. It goes slower but it can be done! I have noticed many people started by addressing the food issues & then added exercise later to make it happen faster. Check out the Eat More to Weigh Less Group- it really works! Good luck!
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much only focused on counting calories and exercising, I'm a vegetarian so my options are already limited, and I don't see where eliminating things I like to eat will be sustainable in the long run, for me anyway :laugh:

I lost more the first few months than I have the past few months, but 5 months in and I'm still heading towards my goal!
  • mandylanerocks
    mandylanerocks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    to be honest, it all started going really well when I just buckled down & starting counting calories.
    I logged everything.
    that helped me to hold myself accountable to what I was putting in my body. I also had to be in the mind-set that I wasn't on a DIET. I was changing my life & eating habits. after I started noticing a difference in my weight, I went for more healthy choices. I thought, if I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it right. So I would buy more yogurt, eggs, veggies, fruit, etc. I did it SLOW. I wasn't quite ready to give up some food. Example, I love pasta & breads. but I eventually cut those WAY back. I'll still never stop eating sweets!!! but I don't engorge or binge on them anymore. I just try to stick to the suggested serving size. I said, try. ;) I gave up soda years ago! before I even started this. & right then I lost several pounds. Even diet soda isn't good for you, I've heard. I read somewhere that all those artificial sweeteners increase your appetite.
    when we would go out to eat, which we did often, I would try to look up the menu online first to get an idea of the nutrition facts.... sometimes that wasn't always possible, so I would stick to eating salads off the menu or something I knew wouldn't be that bad. sometimes, I would get home & discovered what I thought was a healthy choice really wasn't. but I just dealt with it.
    I like eating healthy. some people don't. I'm not a picky eater, so I think that's also helped me.
    I like to be active. I like walking, or hiking or riding my bike. I used to not be able to do it for very long though. Its gotten easier. I didn't used to work out. I hated it. I still hate getting sweaty. but once, I'm doing it, I feel better! & after I've worked out, I feel amazing!! I normally still don't work out that often. maybe a few times a week, if that. I even own a treadmill!!!!!!
    I only have about 20 pounds to go, so I'd imagine I will have to start working out soon, if only to tighten up my body.

it takes a lot of patience, for sure. it takes dedication. its your attitude. you have to be ready to change. but once you are there, you can do it!
    I never never never thought I would be as skinny as I am now. I never thought I would be at my current weight. All my attempts, I failed. but MFP? it worked for me.

good luck to you & on your journey!! you can do it if you just dedicate yourself. if you need a great supporter & friend, I'd be happy to have you. feel free to add me. :):) have a wonderful day! you've received some great advice on this post (& I'm not talking about me)
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    All three:
    Healthier eating
    Counting calories
    Exercising 5-6x per week.

That's whats been working for me so far!
    Exact same thing here. I think if you only want to do two, you should absolutely keep the calorie counting and just pick either exercise or healthy eating.

If you don't know the calories you are putting in, it can be very hard to lose weight or even to simply get your body the nutrition it needs.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!