Beginner weight training!

Options
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a beginner weight training or lifting program? Websites, books, dvd's? I like the idea of being able to strength train in my own backyard with minimal equipment to purchase (bodyweight exercises), and I have access to some free weights and machines at my gym at work. I'm becoming overwhelmed by all the information out there, and I could really use a good starting point!

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    If you want body weight or light equipment workouts, lots of people like P90X and the various Jillian Michaels DVDs. I went another route and took up barbell lifting based on what I learned from the book "Starting Strength" and the StrongLifts 5x5 website / pdf, but you'd need to go to the gym or buy a lot more equipment for that at home (bench, power rack, barbell and plates).

"New Rules of Lifting For Women" is another book that's mentioned around here a lot, though I haven't read it and don't know how it differs from the other sources I mentioned.
  • DBB07
    DBB07 Posts: 40
    Options
    Does anyone have any good recommendations for a beginner weight training or lifting program? Websites, books, dvd's? I like the idea of being able to strength train in my own backyard with minimal equipment to purchase (bodyweight exercises), and I have access to some free weights and machines at my gym at work. I'm becoming overwhelmed by all the information out there, and I could really use a good starting point!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

You can do it yourself. Just remember the 7 primal movements: push, pull, squat, bend, twist, lunge, and gait (walking/running). All of these movements can be performed with body weight or minimal equipment, inside or outside.

Consider these exercises, all of which fit into the primal movements, and require little or no equipment: walking, running, sprinting, dips, squats, shoulder press, deadlifts, pushups, jumping jacks, rowing, kettlebell swings, and pullups.