Muscle Mass

Options
Okay my question is if you lose muscle mass can you get it back?

Replies

• up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    YES!!! You can always gain muscle mass. It's not easy and it takes dedication to both working out and eating well, but it can be done!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nope. No one in the history of man has ever gained muscle. You will be skinny fat forever :( Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Nope. No one in the history of man has ever gained muscle. You will be skinny fat forever :( Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    I may have found this way funnier than it actually is, but thanks for that anyway.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Okay my question is if you lose muscle mass can you get it back?

Yes. Now if you're talking pure mass and not strength then gaining mass is a condition of exercise and some excessive calorie intake until you achieve what you want.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I may have found this way funnier than it actually is, but thanks for that anyway.

I try :)
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses its just that I lost 21 pounds pretty fast and so now I want to start some strength training of some sort to try and tone up.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You will put on muscle mass if you strength train and eat in a calorie surplus. It's hard (tho I am sure some will argue) to gain muscle while eating in a calorie deficit. If you want to define your muscles more (if that's what you mean by toned), strength train, lift weights, incorporate lots of explosive, high intensity exercise. Forget the 30 minute steady state cardio sessions. I lost 40lbs in about 6 months. I lost muscle with that. It's taken me almost a year to make noticable muscle gains and at that my weight is maybe 2lbs over what it was a year ago. For me, it's taken a long time to put on a little bit of muscle mass. But I'm going to keep trying!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I am basically trying to tone up since I've lost a lot of weight, went from 146 to 125 since February and now I feel I really need to do some strength training. I started doing lunges and once my husband fixes our total gym I plan to work out on it some. I am still in the process of upping my calories trying to find my maintenance level. I started out at 1000 calories a day and am now up to 1200. I've been increasing my calories every two weeks by 100 a day more and I still am losing so I feel I need to work on toning up some