I am not sure how to consume all my calories?????

Options
I have been working out and eating better and making better lifestyle choices...The issue I have is by the end of the day after workout calories gained I am having trouble consuming all my daily calories??? I am sure I could eat whatever to get the extra calories, but I do not want to fill it with empty calories...Does anyone have any suggestions for adding good foods to fill the calories missing during the day???

Example:

Allotted before exercise 1600 calories
Burned1310 calories today
Consumed 1600 today

Have way toooo many left....

Replies

• nikii14
    nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    How did you burn that many calories??
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    That is alot of calories burned what are you doing?
  • aubrielle84
    Options
    Elliptical Trainer: 25min 485 calories burned
    Bicycling, stationary, moderate effort: 30min 452 calories burned
    Walking, 2.5 mph, leisurely pace: 10min 65 calories burned
    Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog: 15min 107 calories burned
    Pilates: 20min 159 calories burned
    Stretching, hatha yoga: 5min 27 calories burned
    Walking, upstairs: 5min 86 calories burned
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Elliptical Trainer: 25min 485 calories burned
    Bicycling, stationary, moderate effort: 30min 452 calories burned
    Walking, 2.5 mph, leisurely pace: 10min 65 calories burned
    Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog: 15min 107 calories burned
    Pilates: 20min 159 calories burned
    Stretching, hatha yoga: 5min 27 calories burned
    Walking, upstairs: 5min 86 calories burned

Are you wearing a Heart Rate monitor or are you getting your calories burned from the machine or a website?
  • charbrowne
    Options
    Well, you definitely should be eating 6 times a day if you're trying to get all your calories in. Not sure if you are or not. But you can get them in by eating things like an apple topped w/ almond butter, or a slice of whole grain bread and almond butter, a protein shake that has soy/almond/rice milk, greek yogurt, protein powder, and fruit in it, protein bars. Of course, you need to be watching out for your fat intake and not just be consuming empty calories. If you can't seem to get all the calories in then you can make up for it by working out less.
  • charbrowne
    Options
    I also think that your calories burned are a little on the high side. If you're not wearing a hr monitor, you probably are getting an inaccurate read on the calorie burn. It took me a little while to realize that I needed one when I was busting my butt at the gym and looking at the machine's calculations of my calorie burn instead of actually wearing a hrm which is much more accurate.
  • aubrielle84
    Options
    I am getting the calories burned from exercise under MFP... I weigh 285pounds...The biggest factor in determining how many calories you burn exercising is your body weight. The good news is that the more you weigh = the more calories you will burn while working out. The reason for this is very simple - A heavier person has to use more energy (burn more calories) to move themselves around. But since I am burning more calories during my workouts then a 130 pound woman would, I am having trouble eating enough foods...I already eat Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and then dinner and I already am allotted 1600 calories before my workouts based on my weight height and fitness goals...I have been using a heart rate monitor as well.....
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I think it's unlikely that you've burned that many calories. If you are using online formulas or what the machines say, they can vary pretty wildly from reality. A good heart rate monitor will get you in the ballpark, but even they can be inaccurate. When I started using a HRM, I found it to measure much less than the formulas on MFP said.

A good rule of thumb for walking/running is 100 calories per mile; I don't know why, but that seems to work for everyone all the time.

I also wouldn't count things like 5 minutes of yoga or walking up the stairs. That's just noise in the greater scheme of things and I count that sort of thing as part of my daily activity level.

This is one reason I'm not a big fan of eating all your exercise calories during the weight loss phase, btw. Some, sure, if you need to in order to have the energy to work out. But it's so easy to miscalculate them that leaving some on the table, so to speak, gives you a cushion to account for any miscalculations.
  • vyxie
    vyxie Posts: 6
    Options
    I think it's unlikely that you've burned that many calories. If you are using online formulas or what the machines say, they can vary pretty wildly from reality. A good heart rate monitor will get you in the ballpark, but even they can be inaccurate. When I started using a HRM, I found it to measure much less than the formulas on MFP said.

This is one reason I'm not a big fan of eating all your exercise calories during the weight loss phase, btw. Some, sure, if you need to in order to have the energy to work out. But it's so easy to miscalculate them that leaving some on the table, so to speak, gives you a cushion to account for any miscalculations.

Hi. :) Being Aubrielle's work out buddy, I can say that she's actually (if not burning 1300) burning CLOSE to that amount. Granted, not all information from the web or machines is going to be accurate 100% of the time. However, it's close. Either way, you're not answering her question. She asked how she could end up filling up the calorie space. MacMadame, you've lost a substantial amount of weight, and I'm sure you can agree with me on the fact that putting your body into starvation mode by not eating a certain amount of calories per day, is NOT good for your diet. The more you burn, the more you need to consume. Hence the protein work out shakes after work outs. They're full of fat, protein and calories, to fuel your body.

She and I are eating extremely healthy meals, aiming more for a low carb/low fat diet. This also is hurting her in the lack of calories consumption department. I don't want to sound rude, but could you possibly extend your knowledge in a more polite way and answer her question rather than question not only HER practices and claims, but this website's design as well? :) Thanks.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I was thinking along this lines except I was thinking 10 minutes unless it is hardcore and you are drenched with sweat or you are doing multiple segments which it looks like you are.

With the walking- if you are just starting, you do burn a lot. I started a little higher than you and usually eating 75% of the exercise calories burned worked for me. Actually I probably was burning the same as the calculator or more since I lost more than predicted even after 8 months.

As far as the treadmill, the numbers should be dead on. Try entering 10lbs less than your weight on the treadmill and deduct 10% (A tip from Tamtastic. I usually skip the 10% step). I would skip adding the stretching and stairclimbing.:flowerforyou:

As far as eating... adding nuts or cheese or yogurt or milk should work for you. You could get away with eating 1800-1900 since you have more to lose.:flowerforyou:

I also wouldn't count things like 5 minutes of yoga or walking up the stairs. That's just noise in the greater scheme of things and I count that sort of thing as part of my daily activity level.

• vyxie
    vyxie Posts: 6
    Options
    As far as the treadmill, the numbers should be dead on. Try entering 10lbs less than your weight on the treadmill and deduct 10% (A tip from Tamtastic. I usually skip the 10% step)

ivykivy, thank you, that makes a lot of sense. :) We actually just started our elliptical and treadmill workouts today, as we have only been doing this for 5 days now. :) Up to this point, we've been doing mostly walking, ranging from 1 mile to 3 miles a day, at about 3mph. Now that we're starting to feel a lot better, we're going to up our routine a bit, because we have the endurance and energy now to do so.
  • charbrowne
    Options
    Aubrielle, you can also eat a larger portion of lean meats, so instead of 4 oz. of chicken, you can eat 6 or 7 oz. of chicken. Again, the protein shakes lend a lot of calories and for me, they can be my downfall b/c I like to put a lot of stuff in them, for instance 2 types of fruit. If I make a protein shake with the following ingredients and measurments, it's 354 calories - 1c almond milk/1 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt/1 scoop protein powder/1cup frozen strawberries/1 cup frozen mangoes. I actually do half the recommended serving for the protein powder b/c it's just too much for me. I'll do a shake like this if I know I'm going to skip a sit down dinner b/c as is it's about 1/4 of my recommended daily calorie intake. So you could do something like this and use 2 scoops of protein powder. As long as you don't feel fatigued or can't find all the energy to put into your workouts, I think you'll be ok not hitting your mark everyday. Maybe some days you can focus on really hitting it and others you do what you've been doing. Compare and track your weight loss progress when you stick to the plan and when you deviate and get less calories in and see what the difference is. With the calorie recommendation, does it estimate that you'll have a 2lb/week weight loss or more?
  • aubrielle84
    Options
    I really appreciate all the suggestions :) I will take them into consideration...I plan on seeing a Dieticain to assist me specifically in my diet and workouts going forward... I love MFP
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Here is the deal: While you want to eat the calories you worked off it is not a necessity to eat all of them. You must eat 1,200 calories or more everyday. Plan a large breakfast carb it up. You will burn this off first and fastest. Have a light snack. A decent Lunch again if you are working out after lunch eat heavier foods here. Have a light snack, light supper, light snack.

Light - cheese stick and a piece of fruit, steamed veggies and a cheese stick, slim fast shake

Heavy- Potatoes, Lean Meat (Chicken, Shrimp, Lean Beef, Turkey) 4oz with some rice.

Keep in mind that you do not want to burn yourself out. I used to get into the gym and run myself crazy for 2-3 weeks. After that I would stop for 2 months and start back up. Keep your self motivated and wanting to go but remember this is a life style change not a marathon to lose the weight and then put it back on. Make realistic small goals and work towards those. I feel so great right now and I have only lost 17lbs. I cannot wait until I reach 20lbs. I am not even thinking about 50lbs from now. Keep your mind on track and you can do this. If you need any more tips or ideas just ask me. Great job on what you are doing!
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Congratulations on your lifestyle change :flowerforyou: Not only are you exercising but you want to eat better. That's great. :happy:

I too work out alot (on my days off) and can easily burn over 1000 calories. Yes, I will add 5 min of calisthenics (ab crunches, push-ups, etc) or stretching - I work out to DVDs. If the DVD lasts an 55 min and only 45 min is step aerobics, I mark the left over time as to what was done.

I try to make fresh fruit or vege juice in the morning which comes to between 200 to 250 calories - I make a different juice each morning by mixing different things together - pears, apples, grapes, cranberries, melon, oranges, beets, carrots, cucumber, spinach, etc. I have been eating homemade peanut butter on bread or celery - I just put plain peanuts in the grinder for 10 min - I calculated that each TBL has about 103 calories. Soy milk with a scoop of whey protein can add another 250 - I figure my body needs the extra protein and calories from the hard workouts. I also use these days to splurge and have something that may not be as good for me. That way I don't feel I am missing out on anything. I have tried the Greek yogurt which is supposed to be healthier but even with fresh fruit - it's not my favorite. An ounce or two of a nut/raisin mix can add a few hundred calories.

I have been trying to eat 1/2 of the exercise calories just in case I have miscalculated something. So far I have been loosing 1 to 2 pounds a week - it makes me happy.

Good luck and keep up the great work.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I would also invest in a heart rate monitor with a chest strap (they're more accurate). I was using the numbers on MFP when I first started, but once I got a HRM it was a huge eye-opener. I ordered mine online for $30. If you do a search on the message boards for "HRM" or "heart rate monitor" you'll pull up pages and pages of discussions that will give you more info. :flowerforyou:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk (if you haven't already heard this), peanut butter!!!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I dont know if this was suggested ( cause I didnt read it all, lol) but nuts are a great way to get calories, they are good for you too. or peanut butter! high in calories but good for you!
    Good luck!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Congratulations on your great beginning and all your exercise.

Peanut butter or nuts are great ways to add calories. Starting your day with a higher calorie breakfast and eating every few hours with some good protein are good ways to get more calories.

When I first started on my weight loss journey I didn't try to eat all my exercise calories, just enough so i didn't feel weak and tired. by not eating all my exercise calories, I allowed for the possibility that I was overestimating my exercise calories or underestimating my calories consumed.

Not eating all my exercise calories worked for me.:bigsmile:
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Congratulations on wanting to get healthy. I was about your weight when I started my journey, so I know how hard it is , but you are on the right track.

I have the same problem with workout calories. I can hardly eat my daily amount let alone the extra. What I do is look at what I have planned for working out the day before and add a little bit more to each meal. Make sure the calories are from a healthy source like veggies, nuts or even fruits. I think if you go to a dietician they can explain everything in a little bit more detail and tailor it to you situation. I know for me I had alot of stomach problems so my diet is very different from what alot of people do.

Good Luck to You on Your Journey!