Help... Need no Carb recipes

Options
ReadySara
ReadySara Posts: 86 Member
So my Dr. has challenge me to a "NO Carb" for 2 weeks,
After agreeing with him, I was trying to plan out my meals and having a hard time with lunch meals.
Can you ladies and gents help me out with ideas?
Thanks,:wink:

Replies

• theblackbirdtree
    Options
    Vegetables will become your friend! Seriously! If it's no carbs whatsoever, it will be tough to eat..

Here's a great site to look over:

http://www.nocarbohydrates.com/lowcarb.html

Good luck! I am VLC (very low carb), and find that I can't even eat fruit.. so really be diligent and do your homework! :)
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    Here's my absolute favorite resource: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/snack_recipes.html
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Well, no carb will mean meals made entirely of fats, meats, and eggs since there are carbs in veggies and fruits. Are you sure he didn't mean very low carb?
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    Well, no carb will mean meals made entirely of fats, meats, and eggs since there are carbs in veggies and fruits. Are you sure he didn't mean very low carb?

That's true.. but most people follow the fiber rule: take fiber grams and minus it from the carbs to get a true carb reading.
    An organically zero carb diet is, yeah, meat and fat. Whew!
  • ReadySara
    Options

this is what he emailed me....
    Low Calorie, Low Fat & High Fiber Diet

1. No
    a) white bread
    b) pasta
    c) white rice
    d) potatoes
    e) flour tortillas

2. For meals, choose foods from the following categories:
    a) fruits – UNLIMITED
    1. best is:
    a. apples
    b. pears
    c. oranges
    d. berries
    e. grapes
    b) vegetables – UNLIMITED
    c) meats – (1-2 servings (palm size) per day)
    1. chicken
    2. turkey
    3. seafood
    4. fish
    5. lean pork
    d) cereal (high fiber) examples:
    1. oatmeal
    2. grape nuts
    3. fiber one
    4. shredded wheat
    5. special k
    e) dairy
    1. low fat milk
    2. cheese
    3. yogurt
    4. egg whites

f) oils and spread
    1. olive oil
    2. canola oil
    3. fat free mayo
    g) salad dressing (do not overdo)
    1. low balsamic vinaigrette
    2. fat free dressing
    h) beverages
    1. water – at least 100 oz per day
    2. Crystal Light
    3. ice tea
    4. coffee – only 1 cup daily

3. After first 2 weeks, you can have:
    a) bread – 2 slices per day
    1. wheat
    2. whole grain
    3. wheat tortilla
    b) brown rice – ½ cup 2 times a week

4. NO CANDY, COOKIES, OR SUGAR
    a) uncontrollable cravings, can have SUGAR FREE CANDY

5. START EXERCISE PROGRAM
    a) Walk a minimal of 45 minutes a day!!

It will be hard the first 3 – 4 days, but stick with it!!!

the reason why is because I printed out my meal diary and he say I use a lot of carbs and he thought it would be a good idea if I stop for 2 weeks then slowly eat very little
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need a new doctor
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Fruits - UNLIMITED?

That's not no carb or even low carb. I'm not seeing anything about what you're listing that looks like a no/low carb diet. You misunderstood what he said, I'm guessing.
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    Bump!
  • ReadySara
    Options
    okay okay okay....
    So I told you guys the wrong words....
    Basically he wants me to stay away from
    white bread
    pasta
    white rice
    potatoes
    flour tortillas

the reason why, is because he thinks this is what is my biggest weak spot and is hurting me from losing the weight.
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Go to www.genaw.com! It's a great site with lots of low carb recipes! Good luck!
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    This web site if good! http://dashingdish.com/

I don't eat carbs at the mo so my day is like;

Breakfast - Eggs and bacon or Puffed rice cereal or museli
    Lunch - Salad or omelette
    Tea - meat with veg or fish with veg. Spag Bol with rice pasta or brown rice etc
  • ReadySara
    Options
    This web site if good! http://dashingdish.com/

I don't eat carbs at the mo so my day is like;

Breakfast - Eggs and bacon or Puffed rice cereal or museli
    Lunch - Salad or omelette
    Tea - meat with veg or fish with veg. Spag Bol with rice pasta or brown rice etc

can you give me other ideas for lunch.... it's mainly my lunch I' am having a hard time because I' am always busy at work & on the go
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stick to low carbs at the moment and I love all the food that your doctor has told you to stay away from and usually have at least one a day.

I am keen to see what recipes people suggest.

For my lunches I tend to take leftovers from dinner or use white & wheat tortillas filled with turkey.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the
    http://whole9life.com/start/
    There is a whole 30 challenge that might suit your needs and be managable without spending hours planning every meal!
    Good luck!
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sounds like no starches...I replaced a lot of my breads with almond or peanut substitutes. they are wonderful! vegetables are your best best, wrapping the meat in lettuce or having it over cabbage or 'riced' cauliflower. good luck!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    okay okay okay....
    So I told you guys the wrong words....
    Basically he wants me to stay away from
    white bread
    pasta
    white rice
    potatoes
    flour tortillas

the reason why, is because he thinks this is what is my biggest weak spot and is hurting me from losing the weight.

The easiest way to handle this is to consider exploring Asian dishes, some Mexican, some European dishes, even Canadian Dishes.

I do this under medical advisement as well. If you really love to cook, get your mad-stirfry cooking skills going!!!!!

I make homemade Chili Rellenos stuffed with cheese, shredded chicken, homemade tomatillo sauce, and freshly chopped pico de gallo on top... Totally awesome food and none of the eliminated foods are in it.

I make an Eggplant Lasagna - instead of pasta noodles, I slice up eggplant, purge it and use as the noodle-replacement

Instead of pasta, you can use shirataki or tofu-shirataki.... these work EXCELLENT when making authentic Pho or Thai dishes... Thai Basil is very sexy!!!

Korean dishes have tons of meats, vegetables and wild spices to choose from....I make a mean Jjamppong (sans the udon noodles) but use shirataki in it....not for the faint of heart - its extra spicy!!!!!!!

Another good alternative for spaghetti is zucchini and summer squash... Spaghetti Squash is quite yummy!!!!

SIDE NOTE: Be vewy vewy vewy careful (Elmer Fudd)... of fruits. Stick with berries and maybe no more than 1-2 svgs per day. Fresh or flash frozen-varieties only...

Ive made oven-baked zucchini chips - totally awesome crunch!

Be careful with carrots - try to keep them in moderation.

Consider finding ways to flavor your meats - Make some spice rubs ahead of time, perhaps even explore making your own chimichurri sauce, salsa verde, etc...

If you love to cook, this should be very easy to handle....
  • cramernh
    Options
    At night when you prepare dinner, consider preparing enough for a lunch the next day.... Great way to use up any leftovers you might have.

Last night I prepped up 10lbs worth of napa cabbage, carrots, onions, red bell peppers, broccoli, red cabbage and mung beans... I have about 3lbs left and that is planned for tonight's dinner: Cantonese Pork w/steamed gahhhhhhlicky vegetables...

The other 7lbs went to last night's dinner, made a batch of homemade kimchi, and some for soup making too!

no waste!
  • cramernh
    Options
    www.recipesource.com
    Just about every country is represented on that website...
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I don't eat starches often(not to be confused with carbs---fruits and veggies have carbs too) mostly because they upset my stomach and I just don't like the way I feel when I eat them. We're talking rice, pasta, bread, oats, potatoes, etc. When I cook dinner I'm using lean meats, veggies, and that's about it aside from the occasional black beans or a teeny bit of cheese here and there. All about using a variety of spices and different vegetables. This week I've got some chicken and veggie stir fry and ground turkey taco salad on the menu. I've eaten this way for while and honestly I can't really imagine eating starches on a daily basis anymore, I'll have something including a starch maybe once or twice a week and that's about it!