GYM VS HOME EXERCISE

Options
tuck1jl
tuck1jl Posts: 55 Member
I have lost most of my weight at home doing workout DVDs, spending countless hours on the elliptical & using my free weights. However, I am interested in something different & a bunch of friends tell me the Planet Fitness here is awesome. I'm curious if I could get as good of a workout at the Gym as at home?

Any thoughts?:smile:

Replies

• DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't know its more a preference thing. Personally, I had a gym membership for years and HATED going. I really really did. Something about the atmosphere, the waiting in line, I just didn't like it. I went religiously 3 times a week for about 6 months.
    One thing I did like was group fitness classes, mainly because there was the challenge of hanging with everyone in the class.
    I am more of a homebody and prefer working out at home. I do go to group fitness classes when I get a chance but I don't make the gym the center of my fitness plan.

Denise
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I always thought a gym workout was more effective than a home workout... you can keep track so closely with those machines! :)) And I feel more motivated to work out at a gym than do situps at home :)
  • shareylee
    shareylee Posts: 14
    Options
    I prefer a gym because I think it is important to socialize also when loosing weight. The human interaction is so good for us mentally.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that planet fitness will likely be incredibly crowded during peak hours. So be careful about signing up for a 1 year deal unless you know what it's like during the times you can go.
  • kris_joanna
    kris_joanna Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well, the comfort of home is nice so you don't have to worry about anyone else around you working out. That said, I appreciate the separation so that when I'm @ the gym, I keep my level of intensity up (where I can get a bit distracted at home). Also, I often pick up tips & tricks from others by asking them or just observing them.

I go to a 24 hour gym that has many locations, so it's convenient for me to always keep my gym clothes with me & hit the closest gym while I'm out whenever it's convenient for me. Additionally, I enjoy using some of the different machines as it does help you focus on the appropriate areas. This becomes important when you focus on toning. I like free weights, but it is easy to loose your form when doing them unless you have someone watching you. If you decide to go to a gym, I highly suggest having them walk you through all the equipment when joining so you feel comfortable using everything. Also, if available, it may be helpful to get a trainer for a session or two to get you started on the right foot.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I like having access to both. I used to work out at home exclusively, now I go to the gym 4-5 days per week. They have more "toys" than I have at home, I like being able to do a winder range of exercises.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I like both... working out at home and going to the gym. I like to keep my options open...keeps me from getting bored and losing my motivation. Although I think I tend to get the better work out at the gym. The trick is to find a gym that's convenient and one in which you like the atmosphere. If you can afford it....I say go for it!
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Personally, I only go to the gym because my job pays for my pass- but I do enjoy it. Definitely has more options than my home workout DVD's. Give it a try!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    In some ways yes. Gym equipment such as a lat pulldown machine and a squat rack allow you to do more exercises, some of which are superior to variations you could do with lighter weight. Also, if you aren't strong enough to do pullups, then lat pulldowns are really the only way to hit those muscles.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Well, of course you *can* get a better workout at a gym, unless you happen to have all that equipment to choose from at home. :smile:
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I have a gym membership but do a lot of my stuff at home (swimming, running, deadlifts, pushups, pullups, DVDs, etc) The gym is great though if you are into group classes, need access to more equipment, and want help with form.