FITBIT or Bodybugg?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering which is the better model to buy - Fitbit or Bodybugg? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated :0)

Replies

• _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Bodybugg measures your body's physiological responses via temperature changes and other things which therefore makes it more accurate then the Fitbit.

Fitbitt basically relies on a pedometer to estimate your steps taken and movements which is calculated into calories burned. Bodybugg has the pedometer plus the other sensors.

People like the fit bitt becuase you don't have to wear it on your arm all day, it can be concealed.
  • kmillar1224
    kmillar1224 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! Do you know if bodybugg measures how you sleep like the fitbit does? I know I have problems sleeping so it would be interesting to see what kind of info it would actually provide.
  • mojo1115
    mojo1115 Posts: 21
    Options
    I prefer the FitBit. I have had it for about 4 months and I wear it everywhere. I love the website and the phone app and how easily it syncs up with MFP. We recently just bought the scale too. Love it!!!
  • mojo1115
    mojo1115 Posts: 21
    Options
    As far as the sleep monitoring goes. I have found it to be very eye opening and accurate.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Both do sleep. There are some good threads on this out there. I'd read those.

I've had both. I'm Team Fitbit all the way. The burn levels were similar so I don't know about that skin impedence stuff the Bugg claims. I think both mostly rely on accelerometer technology. You look like you're on electronic surveillance with that big thing on your arm and you have to pop it off and plug it into a PC to see where you're at, unless you buy a separate display device. Plus it has subscription fees.
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am really considering the FitBit....personally I would want something I can hide if I am to wear it all day.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I think overall it depends on what you're looking for. I've heard bodybugg is really good, but didn't want to wear it on my arm. FitBit is great, it works with MFP and I can see what I do daily and best of all no one ever sees it..
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have had the fitbit for like 3-4 weeks now, and I really like it. I clip it to the center of my bra, and pretty much forget about it. At bedtime I put it in the wristband and start the recording for sleep...in the morning I clip it back to my bra. Several nights a week I leave it charge while I sleep.

the only thing that seems to be *off* for me is the altimeter that shows flights of steps....my 100 seated crunches today at the gym registered as 3 flights of steps!

ETA: can you see my fitbit in my profile picture?
  • dellashanks
    dellashanks Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have the Bodymedia fit and I love it! It tells me how MY body burns calories and doesn't rely on the basic data of a age, ht, wt, and so on. It does mesure how you sleep. I also have the one with the blue tooth so I can view my activity all day. I do wish it worked with MFP like the Fitbit though. I don't care for the food log on the body media site.
  • simbatabby
    simbatabby Posts: 35
    Options
    I love my fitbit, would not be without it now, its small and discrete and its website is free so thats another plus point.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I have the Bodymedia fit and I love it! It tells me how MY body burns calories and doesn't rely on the basic data of a age, ht, wt, and so on. It does mesure how you sleep. I also have the one with the blue tooth so I can view my activity all day. I do wish it worked with MFP like the Fitbit though. I don't care for the food log on the body media site.

Unless they've changed it, it does rely on your info inputs to estimate your BMR, just like the Fitbit does, just like a web site calculator does.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have the bodymedia fit (almost the same as the bodybugg). It tracks calories burned, exercise level, steps taken, food intake (if you choose to enter it), and sleep. I have found that all of these are pretty accurate and are helping me get into even better shape. I think the fitbit is a glorified pedometer, but I'm not really sure.
  • AwkwardPumpkin
    AwkwardPumpkin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am team FitBit, I wear it on my bra all day and it does a great job. I even wore a heart rate monitor one day to measure how accurate it was and it was within 10 calories of each other. So, its pretty effective. The only thing is it takes a while for the MFP food diary to update on the fit bit site BUT the calories burned are quick to to go MFP so its all good. It is a huge motivator and you forget you are even wearing it after a while.
  • tinawharrison
    Options
    I love my fitbit! Couldn't imagine not having one now!
  • nikkincs
    nikkincs Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Me too! I usually just take my MFP totals and just add it as a daily estimate of calories on bodymedia's site. I really wish their food database was better or it worked with MFP
  • AromaticTie0
    AromaticTie0 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used either of these for strength training? I'd like to know if the fitbit can tell if I'm benching, or rowing, or doing anything where the fitbit would be stationary. It'd be a pain if I had to correct the uploaded info to MFP because the bit said 100 calories in a workout, but HRM said 500.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    Has anyone used either of these for strength training? I'd like to know if the fitbit can tell if I'm benching, or rowing, or doing anything where the fitbit would be stationary. It'd be a pain if I had to correct the uploaded info to MFP because the bit said 100 calories in a workout, but HRM said 500.

you have to input your HRM burn into MFP, and log the time you started and the duration. It will overwrite the time period on the fitbit site. The fitbit is more of a pedometer type thing, so it cannot properly register things that do not have a walking motion ( it does show a difference between treadmill and seated elliptical for me, but I still log the burn from the elliptical)
  • raitch
    raitch Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have, and like, my Fitbit. I like how well it works with MFP. If I'm doing an exercise that isn't well picked up by the pedometer function I go into MFP and input what it is, and when I started it/how long I did it, and it'll adjust my calories and my activity level.

I also wear mine on my bra. There's a noticeable lump, but nobody's ever asked what it is.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    I have, and like, my Fitbit. I like how well it works with MFP. If I'm doing an exercise that isn't well picked up by the pedometer function I go into MFP and input what it is, and when I started it/how long I did it, and it'll adjust my calories and my activity level.

I also wear mine on my bra. There's a noticeable lump, but nobody's ever asked what it is.

Mine doesn't seem super noticeable on my bra--no one has ever said anything about seeing it. I log my exercise the same way! I only take my fitbit off for showers, and about once a week for charging!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I've got a bodymedia Core and I LOVE it! The Bodybuggs are on sale this week over at Apex for $99 - just got an email from them the other day about it. The BB won't track sleep and the BMC does. That's pretty much the only difference. If you can get it for $99, it's the better deal, I think.