40 by 40

Options
hi there,
i turned 39 back in june and i decided that i wanted to feel and look better going into 40 than i did at 30. so, i joined the gym and have been slowly getting myself back into shape. i'm 5 months into 39 and i'm not losing the weight. the gym is great and i'm seeing changes in my body and my clothes are fitting better. however, the scale has barely moved! i know i should'nt obsess over the #, but i cant believe i'm not losing weight with all the hard work i'm putting in at the gym. i came to the realization that i'm just eating way too much and not keeping track of what i consume on a daily basis. i discovered this site and it seems to be a good match for me. so, here i begin my journey - with support, guidance and determination, i will reach my goal of 40 lbs by 40!:smile:

Replies

• Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    This site is awesome and if you track what you eat and your exercise you will see weight lost. I have been doing since last January and I have lost 37 pounds- there are people on here that lost way more then me but I don't cut out any type of food because I feel this will only cause me to crash after a few months- so far I haven't done that- I count the points. I still have about 13-18 pounds to go but I am getting a lot of compliments on my weight lost and I am happy, so the next 18 pounds can come off slow. I am OK with this. Best of luck be true to yourself and you will succeeed.
  • rachsam1970
    Options
    Thanks for the advice - you are a true insperation. 37 lbs. is great! I'm hoping someday soon I'll be able to say I did it too.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I think Cindi gives great advice!

I have also been on since January and have lost 31 #...the closer that I get the harder it gets but I don't really care. I am moving in the right direction!

My experience has been this... I will go weeks without losing anything then I will suddenly drop 2 or 3 pounds but then go weeks again without losing.

When I am in the midst of weeks and weeks of not losing I still notice that my clothes are getting looser and that is when I will rely on measurments to give me that boost. So take your measurments.

and Last but not least...do what everyone here says...eat your excercise calories. I KNOW it does not make sense but EVERY single time I try to cheat and cut more calories I end up not losing any weight at all or worse, gaining weight. It is pretty frustrating to eat 1200 calories, excercise for 1.5 hours each day and gain weight. (BTW it is not muscle nor is it that muscle weighs more than fat...etc) it is that my metabolism slows down soooo much that I just stop losing. If I bump up my calories and eat all of my excercise calories the scale starts to move down again.

Best of luck!!!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Hey-- welcome-- in June of '08 I decided much the same as you-- lose 50 by 45-- I'm close. This site has helped tremendously.

First, I'd recommend making this your homepage-- log every bite-- coffee cream, lick of a spoon. Eliminate all mindless eating by taking captive every morsel you put into your mouth. It becomes second nature after a while.

It has come off slowly, but at our age, well, that's part of the package-- but it's a way of life, now. Good thing to know, the weight's never coming back.

Like another earlier poster, I eat "regular" food, too. I've eliminated unnecessary sugars, and try to watch that, but for the most part, I eat what the family eats, just responsible portions of it. I'm raising 9 kids on unemployment-- no money in the budget for special foods, if you know what I'm saying.

You can do this-- be committed, find some helpers here that won't allow you to make excuses, but will kick you in the butt when you need it, to keep you going in the right direction. There are some really awesome folks who are sold out to this new lifestyle, and who will really give you the boost you need when you're low.