Anyone Training for a 5k?

kgprice11
kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
I am not new on here, but I am seeing who is training for a 5k, 10k, or a half in the near future and what advice that they give to those who are thinking about it. If you are running a 5k soon where is it at and what is it called?

Replies

• BabyLeila23
    BabyLeila23 Posts: 410
    I'm doing couch to 5K right now. Let me know how it goes, ill be there soon!
  • kgprice11
    I'm doing couch to 5K right now. Let me know how it goes, ill be there soon!

Haha I will gladly let you know :)
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    I am doing the Warrior dash in 2 weeks in KY and the Color run in July in MI:)
  • im starting C25K next week! Im hoping to run my first 5k this fall :)
  • scottishlass
    scottishlass Posts: 25 Member
    Hi, i've just done a couple of 10km races and am now thinking of training for a half-marathon. If your thinking about it, stop thinking and do it. I love running. I am 43, 2 stone overweight and couldn't run between two lamposts when i first started but have run up to 12km. Trust me if i can do it anyone can. Im trying to lose weight so i can run faster
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    I'm training / maintaining for Ragnar (DC and TN). Not exactly a 5K, but "race" raining for any distance has some basic fundamentals.

5K are short distance. Speedwork is the order of the day for being competitive (twice a week) and there's no real point for running more than 6 miles any given day (unless you really want to).

A typical speedwork session resemble "pyramids".
    - 800m jog (and some strides)
    - 1x1600 at race pace followed by 800m jog
    - 2x800m at race pace - 30 sec per mile with 400m jog between
    - 4x400 at race pace - 60 sec per mile with 200m between
    - 800m jog
  • rosie5656
    rosie5656 Posts: 42 Member
    I'm doing the Color Run 5K in Philly on July 8th, and then the Rock N Roll Half Marathon in Philly on September 16th.

I have done 5K and 10k races before and enjoy running, but have found that if I don't have another race coming up or a new goal, I make excuses to skuip a workout.

I have started my official "training" this week for the 5k and will work up from there to the half. Will be doing 4 workouts per week, 1 long run, probably adding between .5 and 1 mile per week. It is definitely worth getting into running!
  • kgprice11
    Great input and good luck to those running in races soon!!
  • tinaruby
    tinaruby Posts: 74 Member
    Working on getting faster and building endurance to run the 5k. Right now I am at about 40 minutes, but now running the entire thing. I am at about 39 minutes.. Hope to sign up for one before the end of the summer, just want to wait until I won't embarrass myself... :-)
  • krizz5u6
    krizz5u6 Posts: 64
    i just did the color run and it was awesome . this upcoming weekend i'm doing the glow in the dark run which is a 6k so slightly farther than the color run. I'm surprised i can run almost four miles ii used to be able to barely run 1 mile and now i am almost at four! Just keep pushing yourself and make sure you drink enough water before you run that's pretty much all i can tell you is run whenever you can and before you know it you'll be at 5k! :)