how do you get off sugar?

Options

Replies

• donnaneuhaus
    donnaneuhaus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Its great to try and deconstruct your cravings. Sometimes its not the sweets you need, but a hug or maybe you're dehydrated.
    True that once your body is addicted its a little harder.. Replace the sweet in your diet with root vegetables and fruit.. If you must have sweets, go for the best quality dark chocolate!
  • xipow
    xipow Posts: 58
    Options
    Staying away from sugar and high-glycemic (simple) carbohydrates, which the body rapidly converts to sugar, is one of the best ways to decrease inflammation.

http://articlesunlimited.holisticnetworkexchange.com/inflammation_sugar.html
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone eating cold turkey instead of sugar?
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    put pepper in it
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I realized that processed sugar was undermining my efforts so I just quit bringing it into my home. I live alone so it was a LOT easier then if I didn't. I totally realize that. There is absolutely NO junk food in my house and if there is and I find it? it's goin in the garbage. Just me, but it works for me. It's been a couple months now and I don't miss it one bit. If I see it when I go out somewhere and I want it....I will have it. Not a problem. I just don't want it around me all the time.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Staying away from sugar and high-glycemic (simple) carbohydrates, which the body rapidly converts to sugar, is one of the best ways to decrease inflammation.

http://articlesunlimited.holisticnetworkexchange.com/inflammation_sugar.html

Cool blog post.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I replaced all sweets and sugar with Diet Soda and sweeteners.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Depends on how big she is. I knew a stripper named sugar and she was kinda big. took two rollovers just to get off of her.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    You have to talk dirty to it. Sugar likes that.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I don't really get it, it's like I have a personal mission to make gummie bears extinct these days. I don't drink soda so ....but lately candy is the bomb. Sweetarts are also in line to get consumed. Ughhh and I don't know who keeps making brownies but they need to stop. Ughhhhhh
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I don't really get it, it's like I have a personal mission to make gummie bears extinct these days. I don't drink soda so ....but lately candy is the bomb. Sweetarts are also in line to get consumed. Ughhh and I don't know who keeps making brownies but they need to stop. Ughhhhhh

:laugh:
  • boys4girls1
    Options

Even diet soda is not good for you though. be careful not to drink too much.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Even diet soda is not good for you though. be careful not to drink too much.

Everything in moderation. I don't want my sodium levels to get too high.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    So I have realized that I'm a total sugar person. I don't really know when this happened but lately all I want is candy etc. So here it is. I need to get off sugar for a week or longer. How do I do it? Did you go cold turkey? What about natural sugars from fruit? Help me please.

Please follow the rule if you don't have anything nice to say then keep your flipping mouth shut.,

Oh and what should I expect while giving it up in side effects?

While sugar is sugar, I don't follow fruit sugars as closely as I do refined ones. Fruit sugar tends, in general, to come with nutrients and is generally not separated from the fiber and other stuff that seems to slow down absorption (at least it does for me). That's not to say I go whole-hog on fruit - I have 2-3 pieces of fruit daily at most.

As far as the rest, I would recommend based on my own experience you not to switch to artificial or "low calorie" sweeteners, since getting off the expectation of things tasting sweet all the time was the key to eliminating the cravings.

Oh, and side effects? Cravings. Horrible, nasty cravings. If you're a sugarholic like me, also some tiredness as your metabolism is currently being supported by sugars. Be strong for about a week and they subside, and your body learns to be energetic from healthier energy sources.

And drink water like you'll never see it again. Make 64 ounces your MINIMUM. No scientific reason - it just helped with the cravings. A lot.

I can enjoy sugar again, as a treat, in moderation. I control it now. That's what worked for me. Plenty of other things worked for other people.
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'll never tell :wink:
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone eating cold turkey instead of sugar?

Love it
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I love sugar.

She charges too much. I go to Lexus or Sparkle when I need some lovin'.
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    Most people benefit best going cold turkey.

I'm on day 4 of sugar free and lemme tell you, if you make yourself a sugar free substitute of whatever you crave, it will help so much! I made sugar free peanut butter cups and figured out my real craving wasn't for sugar, but for the fats in peanuts combined with the milk in the chocolate.. so I recommend cutting completely and having safe indulgences around.
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Now that's funny !!! The brownie bandit strikes again :) LMAO

I replaced surgar cravings with sweet apples or oranges. YUMMMMMM them more and more these days
  • 40Club
    40Club Posts: 47
    Options
    When I did the lemon cleanse for 10 days that killed my sugar cravings. Of course, if you're a chocoholic like me soon as you allow yourself to given in to people around you who always have it around, the taste for sugar comes back. The Weight Watchers Smart Delights (Key Lime, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, etc.) really help with my cravings so I don't go overboard. The servings are so small! It is the ONLY thing sweet I allow to be in my house, with exception of maybe hard candy cause it's not my 1st love (it will last me a lonnng while...chocolate and other soft stuff never have a chance).