What is your updated healthier comfort foods???

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
What is your favorite comfort food that you loved as a kid that you have updated to a healthier version that you now enjoy as an adult?

I have always loved tomato soup with saltines and grilled cheese sandwiches.

I now get the Amy's Organic Chunky Tomato Bisque which is WONDERFUL
and instead of saltines, I put 1 serving of oyster crackers in it (which seems like you are getting more and has a similar taste)

And for a grilled cheese I use either reduced fat provolone or 2% swiss on light rye bread. I just toast the bread and put the cheese and some tomato on it until it melts. Simple!! No, not AS great as the buttery, gooey kind but it hits the spot.

Replies

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    What is your favorite comfort food that you loved as a kid that you have updated to a healthier version that you now enjoy as an adult?

I have always loved tomato soup with saltines and grilled cheese sandwiches.

I now get the Amy's Organic Chunky Tomato Bisque which is WONDERFUL
    and instead of saltines, I put 1 serving of oyster crackers in it (which seems like you are getting more and has a similar taste)

And for a grilled cheese I use either reduced fat provolone or 2% swiss on light rye bread. I just toast the bread and put the cheese and some tomato on it until it melts. Simple!! No, not AS great as the buttery, gooey kind but it hits the spot.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Mac n cheese with whole wheat noodles

Lasagna with lots of veggies in it
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    pita pizzas instead of the take-out variety

frozen yogurt instead of ice cream

light cream cheese on a toasted whole wheat bagel instead of butter and cheddar on a toasted white bagel
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Home made (extra spicy) turkey chili with wheat berries (no kidney beans) - topped with FF cottage cheese instead of sour cream & cheddar....
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Home made (extra spicy) turkey chili with wheat berries (no kidney beans) - topped with FF cottage cheese instead of sour cream & cheddar....

May I have this recipe? This sounds delicious! :smile:
  • amollya182
    amollya182 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Buffalo burgers! They are leaner then chicken, and I LOVE hamburgers
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Bread Pudding,

Just take out the bread, then take out the pudding, voila.... no calories!
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Seriously though,

I have made a vegetable lasagna out of roasted veges. You make your cheese just like you would for regular lasagna (this is lower carb, not necessarily low calorie). Then you brush olive oil onto slices of eggplant, zuchinni, red bell pepper, and roast them in a 400 degree oven until they are starting to brown a bit.

Layer them with the cheese mixture and spaghetti sauce, top with mozzerella, and cook it how you would a normal lasagna. This is really yummy. (I do make my spaghetti sauce with Italian sausage in there)
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    hmmm well I've made turkey meatloaf instead of beef...and mashed potatos w/ chicken broth instead of butter....the family was okay w/ those but I was WARNED not to substitute our Sunday gravy (sauce) w/ turkey meatballs, sausages etc.......lol...soooo and Oh I've changed our pasta to barilla plus which has fiber and omega 3...and tons of protien too...

And I've changed my lite ice cream for fat free frozen yogurt....so not too shabby huh LOL

hugs and great job you guys...
    Ali :drinker:
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    dried figs
    Trader joes yogurt o's (whoel box in minutes)
    pure protein chocolate delux bar
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    whole wheat pretzel sticks. Yum!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato or butternut squash fries baked in the oven..Mmm I dip them in sugar free maple syrup.
    I still make a ton of casseroles, but use the healthy request cream of mushroom soup instead of the regular one. It's so yummy with wheat pasta, roasted veggies and crushed up garlic herb all bran cracker topping! Another thing I do to lighten up a dish is add a TON of shredded cooked cabbage. It adds virtually no calories and u can double the amount of servings easily.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Oven fries with organic ketchup. (hey, I was weaned on McDonald's. . .my Mom couldn't make steam.)