cardio or weights for fat loss?

Options
kiku76
kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
If I only have 5 days to work out, which should I do more? 2 days cardio and 3 weights, or 3 days cardio and 2 days weights?

Replies

• rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    More weights.

Though personally, I follow up every weight session with at least 30 minutes of cardio.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    3 days weights.
  • kiku76
    Options
    More weights.

Though personally, I follow up every weight session with at least 30 minutes of cardio.
    thanks.
    I'm a full time mommy and work from home. So on top of working, I have to watch the kids, clean, cook, do errands. Yeah ... I'm short on time, so can only do one a day.
  • kiku76
    Options
    ok so what happens IF (big if) I ever reach my goal? Do I switch to more 3 cardio and 2 weights to maintain?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Neither, get your diet in check
  • abs156
    abs156 Posts: 1
    Options
    why does cardio show up as calories used but weights doean't show up that way?
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'd do three days weights and follow it with 30 minutes interval cardio after each session. That works like a charm for me, and it cuts down the days you have to do long workouts.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Neither, get your diet in check

Yup

But if I had to choose between weights and cardio, I'd say weights.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    How about this: Circuit training = both in one single workout. Doing weight training in timed sets then immediately moving onto the next exercise allows you to get a cood cardio and strength workout in one.
  • KatyLBC
    KatyLBC Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I do cardio AND weights each time! I found that when I was only doing cardio, I wasn't seeing as much results!! Be sure to watch your diet also! Good luck!!
  • kiku76
    Options
    How about this: Circuit training = both in one single workout. Doing weight training in timed sets then immediately moving onto the next exercise allows you to get a cood cardio and strength workout in one.
    i thought about this, but I only have resistance bands and cap dumbbells at home. so it does take some time to switch the weight amount between exercises
    I was doing c25k m,w,f and weights tu,th,sat.
    It's been really difficult to find time to run on mondays lately and I dont want to lose out if I can't go. I'm up to week 7, so already on the straight runs so it's not that bad as far as conditioning for me. Just losing a whole day. I have to get my grandma to watch the kids so I can run on wed and fri. I can't run with them, I dont have a jogging stroller and my older one is 4 and won't fit in one anyway.
    I guess I can add some sort of cardio to do at home after I lift on saturdays. My younger one is 1 and he can only be contained for so long before he gets upset so I try to keep it short.
    I swear I'm not making excuses. I really try to find time but it's crazy around here so I try to do what I can
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    why does cardio show up as calories used but weights doean't show up that way?

I think there are too many variables. If you go into cardio and look up "strength training" you can log a few calories. I do it, and I get 100-150 calories for 20-25 minutes. it isn't much, but it is something...
  • DBB07
    DBB07 Posts: 40
    Options
    More weights.

thanks.
    I'm a full time mommy and work from home. So on top of working, I have to watch the kids, clean, cook, do errands. Yeah ... I'm short on time, so can only do one a day.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Given your family and work circumstances, you'd do well to put together a flexible hybrid routine including: bodyweight squats, lunges, pushups, kettlebell swings, pullups, jumping jacks, dips, resistance band rows etc. That's plenty to get the body fat % down and, at the very least, preserve muscle. You can do any or all of these in your home office whenever you feel like it.

I won't patronize you about your diet.
  • Cpsnisi
    Cpsnisi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I hear ya on it being difficult to find the time with kids at home. Mine are older but still too young to be left alone while I go to the gym or for a run so I've had to be creative about home workouts. My version of circuit training is to do body weight resistance for strength training (crunches, pushups, squats, etc) with a few minutes of jumping jacks or jump rope in between sets to get a little cardio in. Plus I HATE running, so this works well for me :)