GALLBLADDER REMOVAL - CHOLECYSTECTOMY? ANYONE?

Options
I had mine taken out a year ago.
(gallstones are the worst pain ever btw)

Have yall noticed anychanges in your body since then?

Ive gained weight
I was with a trainer and was on a strict meal plan had great success!
Once the surgery was done I continued on my healthy lifestyle working with the trainer,
yet the weight just kept piling on and piling on....

I have noticed that I digest food super fast.
(I eat and run to the bathroom soon after).

Ive gone to the Dr. & there are no complications.
Im perfectly fine.
Even got tested for diabetes & had my thyroid checked... Nothing wrong.

Anybody else notice a difference after having this procedure done?

Replies

• kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had mine out at the end of February. I haven't really noticed a difference. People promised me that I would run to the bathroom, but for me it's the opposite. It hasn't effected my losing weight, either.
  • LadyOdd
    LadyOdd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed in 08. I have the same digestive problems. I notice I have to go to the bathroom almost immediately after eating anything too greasy and especially any fast food. My Dr. also said nothing is wrong. I'm not sure if it's normal for everyone but I can tell you that you're not alone. I have noticed though since I'm not eating fast food anymore now that I'm dieting, I'm not having the problem anymore.

* I don't think it contributed to me gaining any weight though.
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Oh wow - I do digest food quickly! Did not even relate it to the surgery.

My Weight gain is due to greed.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I had mine out at the end of February. I haven't really noticed a difference. People promised me that I would run to the bathroom, but for me it's the opposite. It hasn't effected my losing weight, either.

Same here. I haven't had any of the 'bad" symptoms people keep telling me I'd have. I had mine out at the beginning of Jan and it's the best thing I could of done. I feel so much better! Maybe we're just lucky, idk but I'll take it!

ETA: I was told by my doctor that the bathroom after affects are increased by excess fat intake...I had reduced my intake a couple years before the removal and have continued that in my lifestyle. Maybe that's the key?
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Mine was removed a couple of years ago. No changes since. Can still eat anything, and still poop like a champ.
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options

Same here. I haven't had any of the 'bad" symptoms people keep telling me I'd have. I had mine out at the beginning of Jan and it's the best thing I could of done. I feel so much better! Maybe we're just lucky, idk but I'll take it!

You 2 are lucky haha.
    But yeah it is the best thing ever, especially not having to deal with the stones anymore.
    The weekend that I had mine removed, I hadnt even eaten anything bad (greesy, fatty, spicy, etc.)
    it was just time.

How about your scarring?
    My bellybuttton now looks like a '7' and the upper abdomen scar is visible.
    I often find that they itch at times too haha. Its minor, weird, and makes me laugh but still.
  • sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in 03. I have noticed no change. I got down to 135 after 2 pregnancies. I gained weight when I quit smoking and replaced it with food.
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Ive had mine out since 2004. I find I usually have issues with the first meal of the day and I go running for the bathroom soon after and usually with greasier foods. I did have a weight gain after removal... however its been more of a yo yo for me with exercising and dieting too. I have not in the past chosen my foods wisely as they say thus my current journey. =-)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

You 2 are lucky haha.
    But yeah it is the best thing ever, especially not having to deal with the stones anymore.
    The weekend that I had mine removed, I hadnt even eaten anything bad (greesy, fatty, spicy, etc.)
    it was just time.

How about your scarring?
    My bellybuttton now looks like a '7' and the upper abdomen scar is visible.
    I often find that they itch at times too haha. Its minor, weird, and makes me laugh but still.

I didn't eat any bad foods before my final and worst attack. It lasted 3 days and was awful, worse than natural child birth! No joke! My scars are tiny and I don't even notice them! I'm very lucky, I guess!!
  • ccguillory
    ccguillory Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had mine out in Jan. and I believe because I had gallbladder issues I had put on weight. I couldn't even excercise nor did I have energy to do anything.

Since I've had it taken out I can actually workout without fatigue within 10 mins. I actually have energy. However I have to be mindful of what I eat because it can make me sick, so I don't drink sodas or big greasy cheeseburgers..lol

No mayo, coffees, etc. and so I choose healthy "this" instead of "that" I've actually lost weight for the first time in years and I feel my age not an old 70 year old lady with pains.

In addition MFP has been a great help because I can track my food and have great support here.

I love it!
  • trtmom
    trtmom Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had mine gallbladder out on August 29th this year and it has been awesome since. I've lost 15 pounds since the surgery date and I know some of this was because of not being able to eat much the first couple of days, but I truly believe this has jump started my diet. I now eat very healthy and track everything. I'm the type is afraid to eat the way I used to before the surgery because I don't want to know how my body will react to eat. I eat low fat and healthy because I'm afraid to eat any other way...and I still meet my calorie goal. This has been a life changer for me for sure!