C25K and 30 Day Shred

Options
On Monday I will be starting C25K and the 30 Day Shred. I will be doing C25K on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and 30DS Monday-Friday. On Tuesday and Thursday I will also be working out at the gym which is where I will be doing C25K so my question is should I so 30DS right before I go workout or right after? I take a pre-workout supplement that I wouldn't feel comfortable taking twice a day so it has to be one or the other. And anyone feel free to join me!

*EDIT*
Also how do you all pronounce C25K? I say "c twenty five k" but then feel a bit silly when someone asks what it is and i have to say "well actually i think its c to 5k but i say c twenty five k"

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I was GOING to do this same exact thing...however....after my first day of c25k, my quads were SO sore, there was NO way I would be able to do 30DS (finished level 1 a few months ago...never made it to level 2). I could PROBABLY do it now that I'm somewhat used to the running, but I don't want to hurt myself so that I can't run. Right now, the running is more important to me.

But...more power to you! That's quite a schedule to take on! :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I think you're headed down the road to burnout.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I would say start with the running and THEN once you are in better shape (and your knees and legs have adapted to running) you should try the 30DS. The first time I ever did the 30DS, I did Level 1 and then ran a mile and a half straight afterwards. I am a pretty good runner and I almost couldn't walk for three days. Now, I usually will do my cardio at the gym and then I will do the 30DS afterwards. I'd probably recommend that in the long run since the 30DS is a lot of jumping, floor exercises and stress on your feet and knees.
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I do both and for me running is easier to do first. I feel so great after a run and 30DS kinda wears me out. Yes you can burnout, so keep it enjoyable.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    FROM WHAT IVE SEEN ON THIS WEBSITE - 30 DAY SHRED MAKES YOUR KNEES HURT BAD. SORE KNEES/QUADS/CALVES DO NOT MIX WELL WITH RUNNING. YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY SO IT CAN BE STRONG FOR YOU WHEN YOU NEED IT. I WOULD JUST PICK ONE FOR STARTERS.
  • jocelynna
    jocelynna Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have been doing both for the past couple of weeks. I do the C25K on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturday and do the 30DS Saturday thru Thursday. I would not recommend doing them back to back, but instead carving out two separate times to workout during the day. Generally, I like to do the C25K at my lunch break on a trail near my work, and then do the 30DS when I get home. That way, my body has time to recover and I am less likely to burn out.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Edited to say that it is pronounced C to 5K. It stands for Couch to 5K.
  • skinny_bre
    skinny_bre Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have mentioned this in the post but I already am in very good shape and i've done 30DS before, last summer but haven't since and I can already jog pretty good so i will be starting around week 5. I am fully confident I can do this, i'm actually a little scared it isn't enough o.O
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm all for 2-a-days and going really hard for a short period of time, but you picked 2 of the hardest on your joints high-impact workouts. Can I suggest having your double-up days be a cardio (either 30DS OR running) and lifting? And then switching workouts (although C25k is a 9 week program). The quickest route to a debilitating injury is overuse of the same body parts.

I'm not saying go easy, just maybe, not go so hard on your joints.

If your body is ready to do both and you are able to do it without pain, run first and go kind of easy so it acts as your 30DS warmup. Do some active (moving, not static) stretches in between. Remember when you're doubling up you need at least 1 full rest day per week.

Work hard & rock it out!
  • skinny_bre
    skinny_bre Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been doing both for the past couple of weeks. I do the C25K on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturday and do the 30DS Saturday thru Thursday. I would not recommend doing them back to back, but instead carving out two separate times to workout during the day. Generally, I like to do the C25K at my lunch break on a trail near my work, and then do the 30DS when I get home. That way, my body has time to recover and I am less likely to burn out.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Edited to say that it is pronounced C to 5K. It stands for Couch to 5K.

Thanks! I think I will do them spaced out like that. And I will continue to say C twenty five k in my head but say it how its supposed to be in normal everyday conversation haha, just so i don't look like a giant dummy.
    I'm all for 2-a-days and going really hard for a short period of time, but you picked 2 of the hardest on your joints high-impact workouts. Can I suggest having your double-up days be a cardio (either 30DS OR running) and lifting? And then switching workouts (although C25k is a 9 week program). The quickest route to a debilitating injury is overuse of the same body parts.

I'm not saying go easy, just maybe, not go so hard on your joints.

If your body is ready to do both and you are able to do it without pain, run first and go kind of easy so it acts as your 30DS warmup. Do some active (moving, not static) stretches in between. Remember when you're doubling up you need at least 1 full rest day per week.

Work hard & rock it out!
    Thanks, my knees do tend to get sore if i run 3+ days in a row but i think i will be ok on this, but if i'm not i will definitely change it, its not worth an injury! I will be fully resting on saturdays and sundays. And I completely forgot on thursdays my family goes hiking together so I probably won't shred on that day because its a pretty strenuous hike and i want to be good to go the next day for C25K.