85% OR 90% Dark chocolate

Options
acarter72
acarter72 Posts: 117 Member
I recently added 85 or 90% dark chocolate to my diet. Just one square or two spacing them out during the day. I have eaten a square when I finish dinner when I want more after finishing dinner but do not want to log excessive dessert calories. I have found that it has filled me up (just a 50 calorie) square! No it is not sweet and it does take time to get used to but wow it has worked in controlling my calories at the tough times. It is also rich in vitamins and antioxidants!!!! I think Lindts have the best taste (compared to Ghiradelli). Wanted to share this .....so go out and eat a little chocolate! It IS good for the body too............:smile::laugh:

Replies

• Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I eat dark chocolate every night. :smile:
  • acarter72
    Options
    What %? It is the best, isn't it?
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    I'm another dark chocolate fan. I used to love Dove Dark Chocolate, now I don't care for that. I love the Endangered Species line of chocolate and the Paul Newmans Organic Chocolate. I buy the 72% and 88% for the Endangered Species line. Paul Newman's chocolate is 70% and that was step up from Dove. I now like the darker varieties, so I tend to stay with the 85% or 88%
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If I have extra calories, I often dip a 85% lindt dark chocolate bar into almond butter. It's pretty high calorie, but they're good calories and taste great! I doubt 90% would be that much different than 85%, but they say the darker it is, the healthier it is.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I find that 75% is my favorite. My current favorite chocolate is Taza Stone Ground Chocolate, which is made about 30 miles away from where I live - too cool! Also ultra delicious.

http://www.tazachocolate.com/
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Chocolate itself if healthy for you, the darker the chocolate, the healthier it is. Chocolate has antioxidants and stuff, it's the added sugar that makes it unhealthy.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    anything over 70% is supposed to give you the benefits. I tend to like Lindt 75% dark. It is even better when eaten with any type of nut butter. I find anything over 80% tastes like chalk.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Anything over 85% and I'm in heaven! :love: My absolute favorite is the dark with a touch of sea salt (also by Lindt). It helps they are on sale this week!!! And 2 squares / day (no will power to space them apart though) typically do it for me.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I'm eating the occasional 1-2 squares of 86% dark chocolate, but it's just a bit too bitter for me, can't seem to get past the initial 'too bitter' flavor even after eating it on and off for a couple months. Trying to get used to it, but I might back down to 75% or 80%%.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips on different brands. I love dark chocolate and tend to get the Dove type just because of the ease of finding it in a store, but I'll have to hunt up some of these. I generally like all the Paul Newman products, so maybe I'll start there. Totally off subject, but I wish they'd sell the Southwest Paul Newman dressing in stores that's used by McDonald's for their Southwest salads~
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I eat a tbsp of Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips almost every day. I keep them in the freezer and eat them one by one. It's wonderful and cures any sweet tooth-thoughts.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    What %? It is the best, isn't it?

I'm currently eating 60% because it was available. But my favorite is 85%. :)
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    I buy the Endangered Species and Paul Newman Chocolate from Kroger's (grocery store). I like that they are both creamy.

https://www.chocolatebar.com/categories.php?category=Chocolate-Bars-&-Treats/3oz.-All%2dNatural-Bars
  • outspan87
    outspan87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Try eating dark chocolate with a banana. Yummy ;)
  • Sunlight2011
    Sunlight2011 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Anything over 85% and I'm in heaven! :love: My absolute favorite is the dark with a touch of sea salt (also by Lindt). It helps they are on sale this week!!! And 2 squares / day (no will power to space them apart though) typically do it for me.

I hear that sister. Its amazing!!!
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I have been told by my physician that it can lower blood pressure 80% or darker. ofcourse he also mentioned to limit to 1 square a day :blushing:
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've heard anything above 70% or 80% (not sure which) is good for you. I tend to like the darker stuff so I always get the highest percentage I can. I also really like those raw cacao nibs as well.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    90% - one square after my workout as it tends to lower oxidative stress which can cause oxidative damage to proteins, membranes and genes.
  • c1aireee
    c1aireee Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I love Bourneville chocolate!!!
  • acarter72
    Options
    It has been a lot of fun reading all of you all's responses!!! I truly love any dark chocolate too!!! I have bought the 85% and the 90% and prefer the taste of the 85% and there is a taste difference but I will eat either. 70% is yummy too though I cannot eat just one as it is sweeter and the sugar is tough to turn down. I found that one square usually of the chocolate does the trick! Oh and my kids love 60-70% dark chocolate too! YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!