HRM & the Afterburn effect...it's true!

Options
So today I finally broke down and bought a heart rate monitor (New balance N4) because I feel like I'm at the stage now where I'm more interested in improving my fitness and I really wanted to see what I actually burned during my workouts. Today I did HIIT on the treadmill for about 35 mins and the machine and my HRM monitor only differed by about 50 calories...so I burned close to 400. Then I go to the restroom and end up chatting with this lady about our contracts and blah blah...so I go to start my weight lifting and it says I've burned 470! So that was 70 cals just sitting there talking for 5 or 6 minutes. Then I go through my strength training workout for close 30 minutes which MFP says is about 100 calories burned. WRONG. I burned twice that! So just for ****s and giggles I keep the strap on for my ride home and when I finally take it off I've burned 850 calories! So i've actually been underestimating by workouts by as much as 300 calories! Annnyways, so I'm super happy I bought a HRM so now I can have a little more accurate view of how hard I'm pushing myself..well that and now I can eat more!! I only actually logged about 650 for exercise though just to provide some room for error. Anyone else have some eye opening experiences after they bought a HRM?

Replies

• NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would question the 850 just because HRMs are notoriously inaccurate for counting calories for daily activities (when you're not working out). Also, you have to calculate out what you would have normally burned during this time. A BodyBugg, FitBit, or other device can be used all day, but a HRM is really most accurate during your work-out while your heart rate is at or above a certain level.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Hmm, not sure I would eat back all those calories...
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Lol definitely not eating back 800 more calories..i generally just zig zag mine but keep them between 1600-2000 which seems to be working well. My heart rate was in the 150-180 range for the majority of the time and even on my ride home it was still about 120. But i know not to take these numbers as completely accurate just thought it was interesting :tongue:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you're sitting down with an elevated heartrate after the exercise that just means your aerobic fitness is low. It doesn't indicate a higher calorie burn.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Surely you are going to see the cals you burn just for living. Why don't you leave it on all day see what number you get?
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    you def did not burn that much. exercise was prob close to 400-500ish. not 800

But you are right about afterburn, it's proven. However catch is it's only for intense cardio. For regular cardio and walking intensity, there is no afterburn.

http://www.aminoz.com.au/intense-exercise-caloric-afterburn-a-833.html
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    This is interesting and I am going to try this too. Frustrating to not be able to 'count' the cals burned when doing a heavy weight training session.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    u mine as well keep ur heart rate monitor on all day then add those calories into ur daily allowance...smh