Ideas for chemical analysis testing of supplements needed

Options
I work in environmental health and we've been asked by the Food Standards Agency (UK) to do sampling on nutritional supplements - ie. buying products then sending it to the lab to be analysed YAY!

All I can think of is testing to see if there are any banned substances in protein powders (a lot of compainies import from USA or other countries where legislation is different and certain substances are banned/not banned) , or actual protein/vitamin/other ingredient content in powders compared to what is declared on the label

Has anyone got any other ideas for testing, or anything you're interested in finding out? - and I would let you know the results?

Has to be 'food' and not classed as medication, so I was thinking protein powders, bars, read made shakes etc. Not sure what else is on the market tbh

My boss asked me for ideas....would be great to come up with some good ideas....

Thanks xx

(I posted this in 'food and nutrition' too...but thought you guys are more proteiny ;)

Replies

• VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    A lot of less than reputable supplements have been shown to have abundant amounts of trace minerals as well as heavy metals - the ones tested for in drinking water (cadmium, mercury, lead, etc.)

Sometimes supplement companies will purposely adulterate their products (giving pharmacetical agents) to "enhance" their products.
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't know where fish oil lies in that spectrum, but it would be interesting to see if a brand that claims to be mercury-free indeed is.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    It would be interesting to confirm the listed amounts of vitamins and minerals in the supplements. Also agree with testing for trace heavy metals and toxins.

In the US the FDA doesn't control things sold as "supplements", which is pretty scary.
  • DeepAsAPlate
    DeepAsAPlate Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I used to work for a vitamin and supplement manufacturer. Most of it is filler. Practically sawdust with trace amounts of active ingredients. And, yet, I still take a multivitamin every day...
  • LadyRush
    LadyRush Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    In Canada natural health products and drugs are regulated separately. Natural health products are licensed by Health Canada's Natural Health Products Directorate. All ingredients are clearly listed on the label and only approved ingredients can be used. Approved natural health product must list an NPN number on the label. Are you talking about products manufactured in Canada?
  • littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Interesting...we're testing for heavy metals at the moment in periwinkles picked locally from the sea/rocks

I have no idea who the 'less reputable' companies are though, I just noticed on my Myofusion it has a banner stating 'no banned substances' which I thought was odd...I'll look into it, thanks :)
  • VMarkV
    Options
    I don't know where fish oil lies in that spectrum, but it would be interesting to see if a brand that claims to be mercury-free indeed is.
    You got to keep in mind that the limit of detection will depend on whatever instrument is being used to measure and greatly depends on technology.

I know that USP certified brands like NatureMade(R) have the best standards for mercury content in fishoil since they are routinely screened randomly. Only a few supplement companies are actually USP certified - look for the USP logo on the bottle if in doubt
  • VMarkV
    Options
    Interesting...we're testing for heavy metals at the moment in periwinkles picked locally from the sea/rocks

I have no idea who the 'less reputable' companies are though, I just noticed on my Myofusion it has a banner stating 'no banned substances' which I thought was odd...I'll look into it, thanks :)

It really doesn't mean anything, the only standard in the supplement industry is with USP certification - this is true at least in America (I'm not sure how things run globally)
    There actually is a company named "USP Labs" but this is a marketing thing to suck people into buying
  • thohnfit
    thohnfit Posts: 8
    Options
    ADVOCARE!!! They have a science board that tests all their products. The informed choice sticker on the box lets you know it is safe. My family has been in the gym business for 16yrs and will only sell advocare products bc they know it's safe! We have had horror stories ourselves where cocaine was found in a product that my mother in law was using. If you have any questions just add me as a friend. My wife and I would love to share how this product is helping our family lose weight and gain energy!
  • littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Just looking at the Myofusion website - claims they have a 'probiotic' protein powder - gut instinct tells me that bacteria wouldn't survive that process - may be worth testing the viability of the bacteria in the made up product

Fish oil - we sent an Alaskan sourced product that's processed in Holland (if I remember correctly) away to be tested just the other day for an actual breakdown of the fatty acids/composition

We have a huge sports supplement shop that imports from USA in our area- so I'm looking for non USP certified brands - yeah?