Working out with sore muscles???

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
Two days ago I did a kettlebell workout and was happily sore the next day. I am wanting to do it 3x a week but am still a bit sore today. Is it ok to work out with sore muscles? I am not crippled or anything but certainly still sore!

In a nutshell it's sort of a circuit training workout, with one armed shoulder presses, kettlebell swings, squats and pushups intersperesed with jumping jacks and skipping.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    working through soreness = good
    working through injury = bad
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    When you workout, you tear muscles. When you tear muscles, lactic acid builds up to repair the muscles. When the lactic acids builds up, you feel sore. Best way to get rid of the pain is to workout and breakup the lactic acid that has built up. Go do a workout - you'll feel better.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Two days ago I did a kettlebell workout

Two days of rest is probably good as long as it's just sore and not an injury. You'll be less and less sore after this the more you do it so initially you might need more time but in the long term 2 days break should be good. Listen to your body. If you're so sore you cringe with each movement then take more time off. If you're just noticeably sore as in "Hey, awesome workout the other day" then you're probably fine to work out again.
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    working through soreness = good
    working through injury = bad

Totally agree. If it seriously hurts or is actually painful, stop. Otherwise, it'll feel good to work the soreness out with exercise.
  • mag1c
    mag1c Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Giving your body time to heal after a workout is just as important as the workout. That said, if you are still very sore after you get the blood flowing into those muscles, I'd say not to work that muscle group. Give it an extra day of rest and then blast it the following day.
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yes, but..... you really shouldn't work the SAME muscles in the SAME way too often (like more than 2x a week) because you wont be giving your body enough time to repair and your body will get used to the lift. Both will minimize results. That being said, I find that light intensity exercise actually helps with soreness. If I'm more sore than usual after a heavy lifting day, I make it a point to get in a half hour of swimming, and take my dog for an extra long walk (4-5 miles). It helps get blood flowing to helps with healing which, in turn, helps to flush out the nasty byproducts your body produces as it repairs the muscles. However, I'm a big proponent of working out in some way every day, so I do a lot of bodyweight exercises which aren't too taxing on my body. Things like push ups, pull up, squats, dips, and sit-ups.

Looking at what you like to do, I would split it up doing the KB Shoulder Presses and Swings with Push ups and Pull ups on Mon and Thursday, and the maybe KB Squats with Box Jumps and Leg raises on Tues and Friday. Wednesday keep pure cardio. Weekends to light stuff: Swimming, cycling, frisbee, golf, whatever.

Side note: Although the KB swings look like they are all arms and shoulders, they actually use a good deal of legs if you are doing them properly, so be careful...

Just my opinion. Please flame me on PM...
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Giving your body time to heal after a workout is just as important as the workout. That said, if you are still very sore after you get the blood flowing into those muscles, I'd say not to work that muscle group. Give it an extra day of rest and then blast it the following day.

I agree with ^^^^^
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Also, be sure to drink plenty of water....
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I always figure out working out when sore makes me far less sore and shortens any recovery from the soreness.