Did I really burn that much?

Options
kroger7
kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
So my friend and I met at noon for a day of shopping and rather than taking public transit we decided to walk to the mall, the down town, then in circles downtown (we were looking for a few specific shops) and then back home. Overall I was gone for 5 hours, but there was some stopping to browse in stores and we sat for a lunch break for about a half hour so I fudged it as 240 minutes of leisurely walking....and it totalled over 600 calories burned!!! Is that right? My feet are a little sore, I'll admit, but I certainly don't feel like I burned that many calories. I don't plan on eating them all. Any advice?

Replies

• sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Never trust MFP's calorie burn :(
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I hear on average you burn 100 calories per mile walking or running. If you can calculate your distance you can get a ballpark of your calories burned.
  • Angelie28
    Angelie28 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I hear on average you burn 100 calories per mile walking or running. If you can calculate your distance you can get a ballpark of your calories burned.

this
  • YGreene0259
    YGreene0259 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can also cross reference it with a different site that provides a more accurate calorie burned calculator.
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    So my friend and I met at noon for a day of shopping and rather than taking public transit we decided to walk to the mall, the down town, then in circles downtown (we were looking for a few specific shops) and then back home. Overall I was gone for 5 hours, but there was some stopping to browse in stores and we sat for a lunch break for about a half hour so I fudged it as 240 minutes of leisurely walking....and it totalled over 600 calories burned!!! Is that right? My feet are a little sore, I'll admit, but I certainly don't feel like I burned that many calories. I don't plan on eating them all. Any advice?

5 hours of walking? 600 calories? Yes!!!

And like Green says, you can cross check it.
  • serialzombie
    serialzombie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you actually know your pace? I track my walks with a GPS app so I know what my pace actually was, and how long I walked. I also double check the calories burned against other, more accurate, calculators.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Possibly, but keep in mind that this was 5 hours which is almost one quarter of your day. If you are eating back your exercise calories, I would subtract one quarter of your base amount (for example, if your unadjusted goal is 1200 calories, subtract 300 and only eat 300 of those 600 back), because theoretically, you would have burned 300 calories in that time doing nothing.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    wouldnt it depend on how fast you were walking, or how strenuous ?? maybe buy a HRM so you can be super sure next time
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It depends on your heart rate...
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I burned roughly 60-70 cals for 16mins of walking at 170lbs according to my HRM. I don't know your weight but yes it is possible to burn that much in 4 hours, but don't trust MFP, invest in a HRM :)
  • kroger7
    kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! That was really helpful!