The key to success.

Options
This will probably get a lot of bad or good comments . Either way everyone's open to an opinion. I have literally tried every single diet that I could think of , cabbage soup, slim fast, Atkins, lemonade, cayenne pepper blah blah. I was always looking for a quick fix not wanting to face facts of the dreaded ' healthy eating and active lifestyle cliche'. However if you really want to lose long term and keep it off it really is the only key to success. Yeah with slim fast you lose 4 pound, 5 pound a week whatever, but when you start gettig bored and hungry and you give up and start eating normally it will all come back on. Put it this way - you aren't going to live on milkshakes, soup or lemonade for the rest of your life are you? I follow slimming world at the moment which is not a diet what so ever . I don't even calorie count I just like to keep track of the foods I'm eating. I can literally eat as much as I wanted and I'd still lose weight. I can still have treats every day, chocolate wine etc. it's really important that people try to realise that fads are just a fad to coax you into spending your money. There really is no quick fix. I used to think there was, I used to hate the fact the only way to lose weight would be to eat healthy an exercise but it's probably the most easiest thing ever to just train your brain to eat clean, have treats and don't deny yourself otherwise you will rebel and go crazy and also to exercise regularly. What do you guys think :) x

Replies

• Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I can not agree more with this, well said :) Having battled with an ED for 3 years and constantly depriving myself, i have FINALLY realised that eating healthily, no starving or fads, eating properly is the best way. Don't get me wrong, what i have/had is a mental disorder which is VERY hard to get out of, its not just about weight loss but im finally on the right track i think and i feel so much happier for it. Today i had my 1200cals and feel very satisfied and arnt sat wanting to binge at all, this time last month i'd have cried having 1200cals but finally, things are more clear and i know now that if i stick with this, any weight i lose will be so much easier to maintain :) Im glad im enjoying nice food in moderation again.
  • jodieturbo
    jodieturbo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That's good hun glad that you are on track. A lot of people get lured into this false sense that if they drink this or take this all the pounds will shed off. Some people don't like putting the effort in it is hard but it's much healthier for the body to eat healthy and exercise rather than popping pills or drinking milkshakes that taste like **** and make you miserable . Xxxxx
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Exactly, well said :) xxx
  • drcrimson
    drcrimson Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think a slow and steady approach combined with dedication and knowledge are the key. MFP offers great knowledge tools, it's up to us to be dedicated.

yolodiet.com
  • Mark4Fitness
    Mark4Fitness Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You are right on about the fad diets that have come and gone for generations. Most are quick fixes that I sure as hell would not be able to maintain of a long period. It is about a balanced diet that is "clean" (not overly processed) eating and getting regular exercise. Portion control is key as Americans usually eat way too much at any sitting - graze throughout the day and omit gorging on two or three meals a day. Five or Six small meals helps keep metabolism rolling - especially if you are actively exercising as it helps regulate blood sugar levels throughout the day!. Eat like a horse and not a bear! Lastly, I believe being consistent in your habits is also key by staying on course about 80-90% of the time. Taking that exercise day off and having a those treats you mentioned (brownie, wine...etc) will reward body and mind so that you will not become exhausted or feel deprived. Anyway, thanks for the well written post!
  • mymission92
    Options
    I wish I would have done this from the start. I know how to eat healthy, and luckily actually like the food. but since I was so focused on losing weight for my hol I took the quick option and cut all carbs, then binged, then cut carbs (pretty much done this for a few months) one week i'm eating so little exercising like crazy, then next i'm pigging out!!
    So, i've had enough and trying to get out this cycle.
  • jodieturbo
    jodieturbo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys . Yeah totally Jodie it's a vicious cycle and the quick fixes are there but you feel like you are on a 'diet' . I just call it a healthy lifestyle now because it's something I'm going to adopt for the rest of my life . We are all here to support you on your journey :) x