Self-esteem Help

mes1119
mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or helpful ways to increase self esteem?

Since I was about 16 my self-esteem has been awful. I just don't know how to love myself or view myself as a beautiful person. A lot of it stems from some very negative things my parents and other people have said about me over the years. Still to this day, when people say bad things about me, I just want to hide for days. I get so ashamed about what people say about me and honestly wish I didn't, but for some reason I can't shake it. I want SO badly to eliminate this negative thoughts that I constantly have because I know they are irrational, I just can't seem to stop it. I already see a therapist and I am about to start taking a medication but right now nothing seems to work.

Exercise used to always be a great outlet for me but I recently injured myself so there is very little I can do that is actually helpful for my mind. I know I should be happy, I have every reason in the world to be, I'm just having a difficult time being happy with the progress I've made and being proud of myself. No matter what, it seems like I always find something about my body or life that I want to change or "isn't good enough."

Any suggestions or advice on things I can do or ways to help learn to love myself would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to work at it, but I'm just so lost :ohwell:

Replies

• mes1119
    bump? :cry:
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Have you tried any type of exercise since your injury?

Meaning, is there any form of workout you can do?
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Keeping oneself occupied is helpful. Keep yourself busy working, going to school, or offering service to others.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Have you talked with a counselor? If you know you have lots of things to feel good about, but you still don't, it may be time to get some help working on cognitive behavioral therapy. Seriously. I had *kitten*-all self image until I started seeing my shrink. He helped me get through some totally insane crap and after ten years of applying the tools he helped me develop, I basically love myself more than any one person should.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Ditto on the CBT that was mentioned above. It truely can help.
  • mes1119
    Have you talked with a counselor? If you know you have lots of things to feel good about, but you still don't, it may be time to get some help working on cognitive behavioral therapy. Seriously. I had *kitten*-all self image until I started seeing my shrink. He helped me get through some totally insane crap and after ten years of applying the tools he helped me develop, I basically love myself more than any one person should.

yea, I already do. it just doesn't seem like it is enough. I feel like I need to be working on it outsides of the therapy situation. I mean, I know a lot about therapy, I actually have my BA in Psychology. I've seen more than one counselor as well. It just doesn't seem to work for me. I'll go and see the counselors on days that I'm felling fine and later that week or day the feelings start to hit. Or so it seems.
  • sasssurf
    sasssurf Posts: 58 Member
    Jack kornfield. Chicken soup for the soul. Hang out with horses. You sound like you are doing well re: mfp. Be kind to yourself x
  • It all comes from within. You are in control of yourself... all about your choices. I have had MANY negative things said about me, my weight, my actions, etc. When it comes down to it I have to let it go in one ear and out the other. I know that the thing that keeps me sane are my friends. I truly feel they care and love me. No matter my weight or actions.

Try doing something new...

Whatever was said about you from others was something that made that person feel better about them self because they were either jealous of you or upset with the way their life was going. Always remember that you are the #1 person to take care of and YOU are all that matters. You have beauty in you... take time and find her. Have her come out of her shell... YOU DESERVE HAPPINESS!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,283 Member
    Ask your therapist if there's work you can do outside of the sessions to work on your self-esteem. Best of luck.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Counselors are great. Something you can do on your own is 1. Focus on a goal and take "baby steps" towards it. i.e. for your weight loss goal do one day at a time. 2. A lot of people with low self esteem are very self conscious and compare themselves to others all the time. Realize that other people have their faults and insecurities just like you and that you are just as good as they are. 3. Try not "thinking about yourself" but think of something else: a hobby, a political cause, your job, a charity, etc. Find something that stirs your passion and immerse yourself. It's hard to feel bad about yourself if you are deeply interested in something else. This passion will take the focus away from you and send that energy outwards.
    This is a good board for cheerleaders too! So consider yourself being cheered!
  • Betrbleave
    Betrbleave Posts: 37
    Think of the little things, just really anything that gives you joy and do more or anything that does. Good luck
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    See if there are any support groups to go to. Your doc that you talk to should know of where there are meetings, kinda like AA groups, but for people that just need a little help to learn ways to love themselves :) Good luck with everything hun!!!
  • Fockertots
    Fockertots Posts: 221
    I would definitely look into any sort of exercise that does fit into your recovery.

As well, I fully believe that talking to a counselor is a great idea. There are sometimes things that we bury because we don't want to deal with them, but they can rear their head at will. Sometimes they are things that we are completely unaware of and it just takes opening up to reveal and cope with them.

I know that for me, it took a "fake it til it's true" sort of mentality. I've hated my body (and self as a whole) for most of my life. After graduating college, I decided to move to California (which I"ve wanted since I was three) and I made that decision for myself and not for anyone else. I MADE myself do things that I'd never done before: go out and eat alone, go to the movies alone, go run on the beach alone, etc. I made myself look in the mirror every single morning and say out loud, "the presumption at all times and under all circumstances, should always be that you are good enough, worthy enough, and lovable enough. And that you are exactly the right kind of person, in the right place, at the right time. Otherwise, you wouldn't have been instilled with such dreams in the first place." I don't know, maybe that sounds dorky or corny, but it's helped me a lot. Words cannot express how great it feels to wake up in the morning and be proud of myself, both mentally and physically. I think that professional help is a great first step, but I think that a lot of this is going to have to come from you stepping up and saying, "I deserve better than I"m giving myself and that changes today."

Good luck and feel free to add me or PM me if you ever need to talk.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member

yea, I already do. it just doesn't seem like it is enough. I feel like I need to be working on it outsides of the therapy situation. I mean, I know a lot about therapy, I actually have my BA in Psychology. I've seen more than one counselor as well. It just doesn't seem to work for me. I'll go and see the counselors on days that I'm felling fine and later that week or day the feelings start to hit. Or so it seems.

I back this. I had a really traumatic childhood and it lead to me having some pretty horrific self-esteem, therapy did wonders for me, I've become incredibly comfortable with myself and have an incredible sense of self-worth and a pretty healthy ego. In short, I'm awesome, in thanks to a therapist who helped me realize it. Women are often "trained" to think they *should* have low self-esteem, learning that and having a great therapist who could help me see myself in a positive light/without the self-loathing did wonders for me.

Develop a hobby. Painting, journalling, writing short stories, photography, baking whatever, find a way to occupy your mind and create something, it'll probably help.

Also, come clean about why you have low self-esteem, once I admitted things about my childhood it was a lot easier to improve my self-esteem.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Write this down, photocopy it, paste it everywhere you go in your home, office, car, etc...read out loud numerous times per day until you belive it:

stopcomparingyourselftoothers.jpg
  • Ok, I just started this program this week and I have been over weight almost all my life. I was very discouraged because I gained 3 pounds. I had order this book from Amazon called "I CAN MAKE YOU THIN". Yesterday I walked in the pool for 90 minutes reading this book and it gave me SO MUCH possitive outlook and drive to go on. Please keep going and try to be positive. This book came with a CD and the author kind of hypmotize you, gives you a very calming and possitive out look. I have no interest in this book, I saw the author on Dr. OZ. It was the cheapest on Amazon. :wink:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member

Seek out a counselor the specializes in CBT. They should be helping you learn tools to take with you for those days when you're out in the real world and start to feel like crap. Therapy isn't just a couch and a guy with a notebook - I looked at it like school. We did exercises and talked about how CBT works as a psychological application and then I practiced using what I learned in real-life settings. I usually had 'homework' of some kind, often my therapist would help me select one situation that had been bothering me the week before and we would work through my thoughts and feelings, and there would be something I would have to go out and do about it - either confront someone about what they said/did, or make one small step in the right direction on taking action over the situation, etc.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I completely understand how you feel about your long-term battle with self image.

I'm glad you are talking to a counselor.

I agree with others about keeping engaged in your life and busy. Try to spend time with people you care about who love you and focus on living your life as best you can.
  • Ashatack
    Ashatack Posts: 41
    Keep bettering yourself! If you cant exersize read a book! research a topic you find interesting and learn everthing you can about it. Maybe try leaning to draw or paint or play an instrument. Even makeing a little effort to a few of these things may help you feel better about yourself. Knowing you put in the work and it may help you feel more rounded like you have more to offer! good luck! you are beautiful!
  • ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    bump