Type 1 Diabetics?

Hi everyone,

My 8 year old son was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes this week. The Children's Hospital here has done a wonderful job of educating us, but I would love to hear from some of you who have been living with Type 1.

How do you handle exercise? What are your favorite low carb items? Or do you even worry about low carb? Do you use sugarless things, like jam and syrup (remember, he is 8 so these things matter), or have you decided to go without? Or do you use the full sugar type and correct with insulin?

Really, I'd just love any kind of input on what it has been like for you. I feel that in some ways he will develop healthier habits at and earlier age than most kids (looking for a silver lining...).

Thanks so much!

Replies

• iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    My boyfriend is type 1 diabetic.

He's fairly active, and typically works out 4-5 times a week for about an hour and a half. We cut almost all sugar out of what we eat, with the exception of natural sugar, we use honey in very few items (smoothies mostly)

With regards to low carb, we don't WORRY about it per say, but we do focus on cutting down carbs as much as we can without sacrificing taste. Whole grains, whole wheat are a stable, we don't eat anything with white flour. It's fairly easy to make almost anything taste the same when it comes to the whole grain factor, also more filling which means he'll be used to smaller portions.

Slow acting carbs are a big staple for breakfast and too late of night snacks usually, which include mostly whole grain items.

If you have any questions or want to know anything else just let me know, he's typically all of 10 steps away from me and has no issues fielding anything you may want some help with.
  • Laurakbg
    Laurakbg Posts: 66
    Thank you so much!! And thanks to your boyfriend! I really appreciate it.

Does he eat before he works out? They told us to figure 15-30 carbs per half hour of "exercise" depending on intensity. Since my son is 8, "exercise" often means running around the yard like a crazy thing or something like that.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    I hear you. My 10 yo son was diagnosed with Type 1 about six weeks ago.

I'm still learning about this. Today we are hitting a lot of lows and that's frustrating. I wish I could give you more advice but I'm still new to this myself.
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    We don't typically schedule time for when we work out, but if he knows he's going to work out he'll eat and just not take his insulin, or just not as much. He usually works through it all plus some. One thing you will have to get used to is constant healthy snacks with you to up his sugars.

He also mentioned that the 15-30 is a good way to look at it. He sticks to that now, and he's 26.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    im type 1 and have been since i was 10 (now 29) it has honestly taken me until a few months ago to accept it, and start caring for myself.

I have found using mfp really helpful in logging food and getting the carb value so i can work out how much insulin i need.

with sport i usually know whats coming up and when so i adjust for it, but alway carry jellybeans and insulin incase i stuff it up.

where i can i remove sugar from baking etc around home, always have water or diet drinks. but if im out i just do the best with what ive got. im not going to sit there while all my friends enjoy a meal, ill look at the menu and select the best thing i can get for me, and if i have to take a bit more insulin.
  • I was diagnosed 17 years ago. I think the first hump to get over is to understand that the diagnosis sucks, but it is not a death sentence. Type I diabetes is manageable, but it does require effort.

That said, here's my little bit of insight:

Get a pump ASAP. While your son might not like the idea of something being connected to him all the time, he'll get over that really quickly when he realizes how much more normal it makes life. I was on a pump when I was 8, and I have seen dozens of other kids around that age who have also had pumps.

I had this whole idea of writing a bulleted list for you, but I have to run. Send me a message if you have other questions. I'm happy to be of whatever help I can.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    I was diagnosed 17 years ago. I think the first hump to get over is to understand that the diagnosis sucks, but it is not a death sentence.

Thinking about it now, I really wish my parents had organised some counselling for me, almost like grief counselling, to help me get through the shock. I think it might have helped me accept things better.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    My brother was diagnosed 9 years ago. He now uses an insulin pump.

We don't worry about low carb or no sugar things, some things are sugar free, but they have carbs anyway, so instead of being a really tasty 40 carb piece of cake, it's a 20 carb piece of cake but not that good, and that just means less insulin, but insuline anyway.

He eats everything we ate, he goes to birthdays and eat the same as the other kids, as long as we count the carbs he is eating and put the insulin for what he ate, he can eat anything.

Like I said a low carb meal has carbs anyway, so you still need to inject them for that, and a kid can't live on lettuce and meat only. I know sometimes is heartbreaking having to inject them all the time, but a no carb-diet to avoid injecting them is the wrong way to go , not healthy

The only "diabetic" things we use are free-carb drinks, like diet coke, because if he drinks a regular coke, he gets his sugar leves up too fast for the insulin to start working.

In time, I highly recommend you to get an insulin pump. Because with that, instead of injecting them you just click the insulin pump, you put "30 carbs" and the insulin pump does the math for the insulin (it does the math with the macros you put in of course). You avoid injecting them 5 or more times a day, you only change the location for the canula like every 3 days. Also, is more accurate in the basal insulin levels, so it's better to avoid hypoglicemia and it's much easier for the kid and the teachers to use it.

www.childrenwithdiabetes.com this site has great information.

The most important thing counting carbs and putting insulin for those carbs.

It will take time to adjust, but it will get better and easier, and you'll see how he goes on living like everyother kid living a normal life.
  • blonde71
    I was diagnosed 17 years ago. I think the first hump to get over is to understand that the diagnosis sucks, but it is not a death sentence. Type I diabetes is manageable, but it does require effort.

Get a pump ASAP. While your son might not like the idea of something being connected to him all the time, he'll get over that really quickly when he realizes how much more normal it makes life. I was on a pump when I was 8, and I have seen dozens of other kids around that age who have also had pumps.

I had this whole idea of writing a bulleted list for you, but I have to run. Send me a message if you have other questions. I'm happy to be of whatever help I can.

I have to disagree about the pump. My son is new onset Type 1 too, diagnosed April 28, 2012. He's taking so little insulin now because he's in the honeymoon stage and his pancreas is still kind of working that it would be counterproductive for him to be on the pump. He's only taking a long-acting insulin, no short-acting. To put him on a pump now would be akin to killing a mosquito with a hammer. It just doesn't make sense. I think the method is different for everyone whether it be the syringe, pen or pump. What works for one doesn't always work for another. Just a thought. :smile:
  • camila_scl
    I was diagnosed 17 years ago. I think the first hump to get over is to understand that the diagnosis sucks, but it is not a death sentence. Type I diabetes is manageable, but it does require effort.

I have to disagree about the pump. My son is new onset Type 1 too, diagnosed April 28, 2012. He's taking so little insulin now because he's in the honeymoon stage and his pancreas is still kind of working that it would be counterproductive for him to be on the pump. He's only taking a long-acting insulin, no short-acting. To put him on a pump now would be akin to killing a mosquito with a hammer. It just doesn't make sense. I think the method is different for everyone whether it be the syringe, pen or pump. What works for one doesn't always work for another. Just a thought. :smile:

Not all the kids have the honeymoon stage and those who have it at some point no longer than a year it ends and the best way IS the pump after that. It's much more accurate than the normal shots, because you can adjust every basal level per hour, for every little pick.

Anyways, the doctor will know what's best, but I recommend you to ask the doctor, because it really helps
  • blonde71

Not all the kids have the honeymoon stage and those who have it at some point no longer than a year it ends and the best way IS the pump after that. It's much more accurate than the normal shots, because you can adjust every basal level per hour, for every little pick.

Anyways, the doctor will know what's best, but I recommend you to ask the doctor, because it really helps

Have to disagree yet again. Sorry but maybe I don't want my son to feel like he's connected to a machine. And what about reinserting it after he showers or swims? He needs to be in a better place than he is now with his pancreas shutting off and on every few days. I have four diabetics in the family and they all use different methods. That's great that you believe in the pump and I'm happy for you. I feel that his doctor and I, as his mother, know best at this point. :smile:
  • allycat54
    allycat54 Posts: 67 Member
    My husband has had Type 1 since he was 7, he's now 42. The pump has been a life saver for him and (knock on wood) diabetes hardly affects his life. Very rarely does he have low blood sugars. Of course he has to change the pump every few days and I got to see how painful that is when he had shoulder surgery and I had to insert the needle. But the benefits so outweigh the negatives, especially after years of highs and lows.
  • allycat54
    allycat54 Posts: 67 Member
    I just read the post above me, and it could be something for later, when your son is older. When swimming or showering, there is a cap that goes over the area, so the needle doesn't have to be reinserted.
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    I'm a T1 diabetic. I was diagnosed when I was 2, and I don't remember much about how things were when I was 8, but I know that one huge thing I'm grateful that my parents did was never buying soda or junk food. Because of that, out of habit, I still never eat/drink that stuff. I've had soda probably 3 or 4 times tops my entire life, and I think that's was a HUGE help in controlling blood sugar. I wouldn't worry about carbs specifically...if he splurges just cover for it and that's it, no biggie.

Overall, just cook healthy and set a good example for your child, and above all make sure he understands the importance of having his diabetes under control. If he develops the healthy habits and knows how to make the healthier food choices from a young age, he'll have a much easier time when he gets older.

Errr, what else? Measure blood sugar often, if he's active measure before and after. Ask your doc about this, but I know that if I'm slightly higher after a workout I won't cover for it because then I'll go insanely low. Eat a little something before a workout...Actually I'm not sure how this works for younger kids, so I'll stop here, but if you have specific questions feel free to PM me!
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member

Have to disagree yet again. Sorry but maybe I don't want my son to feel like he's connected to a machine. And what about reinserting it after he showers or swims? He needs to be in a better place than he is now with his pancreas shutting off and on every few days. I have four diabetics in the family and they all use different methods. That's great that you believe in the pump and I'm happy for you. I feel that his doctor and I, as his mother, know best at this point. :smile:

Totally agree here. My brother also has T1, and what works for me doesn't necessarily work for him. I'm also not a huge fan of the pump. I had one for about 4 months and I was miserable. I know it works for a lot of people, and it helps with better control, but you're right when you say doctor and mother know best (at least at a young age). I was 20 when I used it, and my doctor insisted, but it's much easier just using a pen and needle. No being connected to a machine, or having something attached to you, or worrying about malfunctions, blablabla.
  • camila_scl

Of course a mother knows best (at least most mothers do).

There are cons with the pump, yes, but for a non-honeymoon person it is the best way to go (medically speaking), because it is the closest thing to a pancreas and that's not me just saying that, that's tons of medical papers, much closer to a pancreas than pens (not saying pens or shots are bad at all). I'm just talking about the medical part, but for some of course can be annoying to be conected to a machine all day, for others is just as annoying to get shots 5 or 6 times a day. People need to find what's best for them and with what treatment they feel more comfortable with =)

FYI: When you "re-insert" for a shower or a swimm you are not putting the needle thingy again, you are re-connecting another part so you don't feel it, it's not putting the thing inside your body again. You just change it every 3 days or so, you can use a topic anesthesy so it doesn't hurt, and if you don't want most pumps are waterproof, there are tons of swimmers that use them =)