Gym Membership vs. Tattoo

Options
I've been stuck in a plateau for the last 4 months. I cannot seem to get out of the 280s. (Though I am hoping for a helluva surprise as a birthday present when I step on that scale Friday morning for my first weigh-in in several weeks.) Something needs to change to bust through this. What I have been doing isn't working anymore -- and didn't someone famous once say that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting the different results?? :P

I got to thinking today that I might be better off using the money I was going to put towards a tattoo as a birthday present to myself to celebrate the 80lbs I *have* lost. I thought this because I drive past a neighborhood gym twice a day. So I stopped in at the joint on my lunch hour and got some prices. They're currently offering 2 programs. One is a $129.00 enrollment fee that includes 6 sessions with a personal trainer. There is also a $29.00 "lock-in" fee, which locks me in for the $12.00/mth cost. Then a charge for the 1st and last month's fees, for a total of $182.00 to start. The second is basically to pay $60.00 and I'm in at $15.00/mth, but open to raises in future membership fees and no sessions with a personal trainer.

My first question -- is a personal trainer really necessary? Second, would you do it it - even without the personal trainer benefit? I've never looked into a gym membership before, so $15/mth seems reasonable to me.

The other thing is, I posted my pondering on Facebook -- and got a hell of a response out of my friends and family. Most everyone's telling me to go for the tattoo NOW to celebrate the loss, but the other half is voting for the gym membership to help me bust through this plateau. I'll take your votes now! :D

Replies

• blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    As someone who works out exclusively at home due to a shoestring budget, I would LOVE to join a gym and hire a personal trainer. My vote is for the gym membership then when you bust this plateau, get TWO tattoos!! :bigsmile:
  • barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I vote tattoo!
  • dzvinka82
    dzvinka82 Posts: 33
    Options
    Gym membership!!!
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I say tattoo can wait till you lost all of your weight. Wouldn't it ...Well, sag?

Go with the gym and no trainer. Or that's what I would do. The buying of the gym would make me go regardless.
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    $12 or even $15 sounds fine to me for a gym membership. But even though it may be more up front, I definitely think the personal trainer is worth it! Especially at the price. I have been paying about $45 a session for my personal trainer and it is possibly the best thing I have done for myself. She helps motivate me and shows me exercises I never would have thought to do on my own.

If all I wanted/needed was to run on the treadmill or elliptical then yeah I could do that on my own. But there is so much more to do and my trainer is the one that shows me! :flowerforyou:
  • ChanniVincent
    Options
    It depends. If it was a really meaningful tattoo like my daughters name or something I'd get that. If not, if its something like roses, I'd get the gym membership.
  • r3ban1x
    r3ban1x Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Paying a trainer is expensive but for me it was worth it. After my sessions were over I gained all the weight back in 2 months. My trainer really pushed me a lot harder than I thought I was capable even though I thought I'd been working hard before. And if you still have a lot of weight to lose you might not like how a tattoo looks after you've lost the weight unless its small and on your foot or something.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    As someone with tattoos and a gym membership (and stuck around the same weight right now) I say go for the gym. It is so much nicer to work out in a gym then outside when it is unbearably hot. I like the personal trainer. They know some routines that are good to know and will show you how to use all the equipment correctly. I tend to have my comfort zone on the elliptical but am trying to branch out more into the weight section.

You can get the tattoo at any time. Now is the right time to lose the weight. Plus, depending on where you are getting it, it might get droopy when you get to goal weight. My arm one is already looking a bit iffy after a 100 lb loss and will be worse when the rest is gone I think.
  • shygur
    shygur Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I vote gym membership and personal trainer too. I love working with my personal trainer and I have benefited from using the pool at the gym to walk and later swim. Good luck.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Jess... Check with the y. I know they usually waive sign up costs and all members get 3 wellness sessions with a trainer. They will take body fat, talk about nutrition and give you a lay if the land.

The tattoo is great... You earned it after all. But I can not say enough about the value if a gym membership. If I'm bored of thd bike I can hope on an elliptical. And lifting.... Girl... LIFT HEAVY STUFF! Trust me on that. Then in a few months go get your tattoo in an even sexier more toned place.

Rawr.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Ink > Gym. You can workout wherever you want
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I would go for gym membership, personally. My gym charges a set fee per month, then you can decide on one of their trainers and have one session, or however many sessions you like, for a price per session, including a free 30 minute consultation.
    I think the gym, at this point, would be much more rewarding.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Haha I understand your dilemma. I want another tattoo so badly!!

But I totally agree. Some people can do fine without gyms but I'm not great at knowing what to do or how to do it when it comes to working out. I did a bootcamp once and had amazing results (much better than doing anything on my own) so I would definitely consider gym/trainer. Just like tracking what you eat, a trainer keeps you accountable and helps to push you so you can improve. I also find that a trainer will introduce me to new exercises/equipment I may otherwise not try (I am a comfort zone kind of person).

However, I'd meet the personal trainer first. Talk to them and see if you like them. Some trainers like the tough method and others aren't. People respond to different methods so make sure to find someone you're comfortable with before spending the money.

The work you've done is AMAZING and it makes sense to want to celebrate it but I think you could think of the gym as a treat/reward as well. And imagine how good it will feel to break through the plateau! THAT'S when you should get your tattoo!

Good luck! And whatever you choose, you totally deserve it!
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    I've been stuck in a plateau for the last 4 months. I cannot seem to get out of the 280s. (Though I am hoping for a helluva surprise as a birthday present when I step on that scale Friday morning for my first weigh-in in several weeks.) Something needs to change to bust through this. What I have been doing isn't working anymore -- and didn't someone famous once say that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting the different results?? :P

I got to thinking today that I might be better off using the money I was going to put towards a tattoo as a birthday present to myself to celebrate the 80lbs I *have* lost. I thought this because I drive past a neighborhood gym twice a day. So I stopped in at the joint on my lunch hour and got some prices. They're currently offering 2 programs. One is a $129.00 enrollment fee that includes 6 sessions with a personal trainer. There is also a $29.00 "lock-in" fee, which locks me in for the $12.00/mth cost. Then a charge for the 1st and last month's fees, for a total of $182.00 to start. The second is basically to pay $60.00 and I'm in at $15.00/mth, but open to raises in future membership fees and no sessions with a personal trainer.

My first question -- is a personal trainer really necessary? Second, would you do it it - even without the personal trainer benefit? I've never looked into a gym membership before, so $15/mth seems reasonable to me.

The other thing is, I posted my pondering on Facebook -- and got a hell of a response out of my friends and family. Most everyone's telling me to go for the tattoo NOW to celebrate the loss, but the other half is voting for the gym membership to help me bust through this plateau. I'll take your votes now! :D

You dont need a tattoo to remind you of your achievements, you just need to look in the mirror! And is getting a tattoo going to help remove the rest of the weight? If by going to the gym is doing something different (seeing as you mentioned what you've been doing isnt really working anymore), then go to the gym. You will be exposed to a whole new level of support and motivation and yes you do need a trainer to teach you things about how your body works. Good luck
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I would invest in the gym membership instead. You can always get the tattoo later to celebrate an even bigger loss down the road! And as someone else mentioned, it might be best to wait and get the tattoo until you're closer to your goal to avoid distorting it.
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I got my 1st tattoo when i got to the 130s after getting down from the 180s and im so glad i waited til id lost the weight, it might look different if you have a lot to lose like people have said. Depends on where the ink is/how big obviously.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I vote Gym membership. But what would you rather have, a thinner body or ink on your skin. I would rather have the weight loss.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Ink > Gym. You can workout wherever you want
    qft
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    What all "at home" workout DVD's have you tried? Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is a killer and should get you out of your plateu, and eating differently....

ANYHOW, if you decide on the gym PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read the fine print of the contract and make sure to get a copy right then and there and EVERYTHING in writing. I recently got screwed out of $1200 by LA fitness because the trainer forged my signature on a few things.. SO PLEASE, get it all in writing, get a copy, and make sure you read EVERYTHING! Good luck on whatever you decide!
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    What all "at home" workout DVD's have you tried? Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is a killer and should get you out of your plateu, and eating differently....

ANYHOW, if you decide on the gym PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read the fine print of the contract and make sure to get a copy right then and there and EVERYTHING in writing. I recently got screwed out of $1200 by LA fitness because the trainer forged my signature on a few things.. SO PLEASE, get it all in writing, get a copy, and make sure you read EVERYTHING! Good luck on whatever you decide!

Thats disgusting! The trainer should have been fired or charged and you should have got your money back! grrrr