Different types of calories

Options
Hi, I've just started and was hoping for some advice. What I don't get about the calorie counting is, surely it will also depend on the type of food, not just the calories? For example, I eat beans regularly as it's high in protein which is great as I am a vegetarian, and I know that a high protein diet is effective when working out. But, if for example, I was to have some chocolate in an equal amount of calories, this would make no difference to my calorie intake yet both foods will act very differently in my body.

What do you make of this?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Calories ----> Change in weight.
    Macronutrient composition of those calories
    > Change in Body Composition
    Micronutrient intake
    > Health

Additionally, losing weight often improves health markers as well.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Micronutrient intake
    > Health

This man is brilliant and you should listen to him.
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Micronutrient intake
    > Health

Completely Agree
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Micronutrient intake
    > Health

Have you ever come across any studies which support the idea that greater fat intake promotes more fat burning?
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Have you ever come across any studies which support the idea that greater fat intake promotes more fat burning?

Nope. If you've seen anything indicating such (where calorie intake is controlled), please send it my way :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Micronutrient intake
    > Health

I've read studies pertaining to the thermic effect of protein--kind of a similar idea. Greater weight loss due to a greater caloric expenditure during the process of breaking proteins down into amino acids for storage.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

Nope. If you've seen anything indicating such (where calorie intake is controlled), please send it my way :)

I remember someone posted an article suggesting that, I couldn't remember if it was you or Acg67. I want to research it more.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Micronutrient intake
    > Health

I've read studies pertaining to the thermic effect of protein--kind of a similar idea. Greater weight loss due to a greater caloric expenditure during the process of breaking proteins down into amino acids for storage.

Macronutrients definitely have a different thermic effect but in order to get an appreciable difference (anything non negligable basically) you'd have to make a pretty extreme shift in intake. For example, moving 20g from protein to fat isn't going to do jack shee-ite, in my opinion.

I do agree with the premise though. It's a real occurrence, it just isn't significant in most practical applications.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Micronutrient intake
    > Health

Macronutrients definitely have a different thermic effect but in order to get an appreciable difference (anything non negligable basically) you'd have to make a pretty extreme shift in intake. For example, moving 20g from protein to fat isn't going to do jack shee-ite, in my opinion.

I do agree with the premise though. It's a real occurrence, it just isn't significant in most practical applications.

Agreed. Which is why I don't give 2 sh!ts about my macros as long as I get ENOUGH protein
  • dollyfish
    dollyfish Posts: 9
    Options
    I really appreciate your reply and excuse my ignorance but are you saying that yes, it is all about the amount of calorie intake? What you're saying sounds like good advice, I'm just having trouble understanding it!
  • dollyfish
    Options
    Micronutrient intake
    > Health

I really appreciate your reply and excuse my ignorance but are you saying that yes, it is all about the amount of calorie intake? What you're saying sounds like good advice, I'm just having trouble understanding it!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

My advice is to hit your protein goals, then enjoy the remaining calories with a combination of fats and carbs. No need to follow a magic ratio.
  • dollyfish
    Options
    Micronutrient intake
    > Health

I will, thank you! Body builders know more about their bodies than most medical experts.
  • bonita862
    bonita862 Posts: 8
    Options
    Try to eat with purpose and get the most nutrients out of the food you are eating. Sugar is nutrition-less and addictive. It is broken down alot faster than the protein in the beans.

This relates to the "A CALORIE IS A CALORIE" argument. There is plenty of information about this on the net if you want to research it more.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Sounds like great advice so far. I went to a nutrionist who recomended 50-100g protein, 100-200g carb and 50 g fat per day for me. I work out 2 hours a day so I need the protein and try to keep it closer to 100 g. This works for me, but everyone is different and has a different lifestyle.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Micronutrient intake
    > Health

I'm saying that losing weight is about calorie intake. However, there are other concerns that you may have that extend beyond the number on the scale.

I would recommend eating "mostly" whole and nutrient dense foods like vegetables, fruits, meat, fish, chicken, etc.
    I would recommend some form of exercise.
    I would recommend that you stay within a reasonable calorie target.
    I would recommend that you don't neglect protein and fat.

That's my over-simplified blanket recommendations :)
  • dollyfish
    Options
    Try to eat with purpose and get the most nutrients out of the food you are eating. Sugar is nutrition-less and addictive. It is broken down alot faster than the protein in the beans.

This relates to the "A CALORIE IS A CALORIE" argument. There is plenty of information about this on the net if you want to research it more.

I appreciate the difference between healthy eating and non healthy eating, but the focus here is on losing weight. Re the calorie is a calorie arguement - I've had a quick look, so basically from what I can glean the evidence in inconclusive. I'm just wondering how to get the best from this website, but I don't want to be punished for calorie intake from protein when it's not the same as calorie intake from sugar or fat.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

I appreciate the difference between healthy eating and non healthy eating, but the focus here is on losing weight. Re the calorie is a calorie arguement - I've had a quick look, so basically from what I can glean the evidence in inconclusive. I'm just wondering how to get the best from this website, but I don't want to be punished for calorie intake from protein when it's not the same as calorie intake from sugar or fat.

Strictly in terms of weight loss and assuming you do not have any sort of insulin related condition then I would assume you could lose weight just fine sticking to a calorie deficit and disregarding whether or not you're eating fat/sugar/carbs/protein/chocolate/box elder bugs/etc. I don't recommend it, obviously. But, my assumption is that it would work.
  • dollyfish
    Options
    Micronutrient intake
    > Health

I'm saying that losing weight is about calorie intake. However, there are other concerns that you may have that extend beyond the number on the scale.

I would recommend eating "mostly" whole and nutrient dense foods like vegetables, fruits, meat, fish, chicken, etc.
    I would recommend some form of exercise.
    I would recommend that you stay within a reasonable calorie target.
    I would recommend that you don't neglect protein and fat.

That's my over-simplified blanket recommendations :)

Thanks. I'm just a bit confused, especially as I've been following (but now stopped) the "4 hour diet" by Tim Ferriss. He was all about protein intake and eating certain foods, but no counting calories.
  • dollyfish
    Options

Strictly in terms of weight loss and assuming you do not have any sort of insulin related condition then I would assume you could lose weight just fine sticking to a calorie deficit and disregarding whether or not you're eating fat/sugar/carbs/protein/chocolate/box elder bugs/etc. I don't recommend it, obviously. But, my assumption is that it would work.

Am I correct in assuming you lift weights, and follow a low carb high protein diet? So, from what I remember (I used to date a body builder!), the low percentage of body fat was due to muscle building - and the energy used to repair muscle tissue is what burns fat? And protein accelerates this process?