Baked chicken

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
Can someone help me? I'm almost completely inept in the kitchen :laugh: , and I want to bake chicken breasts. At what temp and for how lond do I bake them? Any tips? Should I try to tenderize the breasts to flatten them a bit, maybe it'll be easier to cook that way? Also, if anyone has any healthy recipes, that'd be great too! I've looked online and most of what I seem to come up with is recipes with creamy sauces, or bacon, or both. :laugh:

Replies

• vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I bake chicken breasts frozen (helps to seal in the moisture) at 350 degrees for about 40-50 min. If you want, you can add salsa to the top, also pasta sauce. Makes them have more flavor. If defrosted about 30 min in the oven will do it. I add a small amount of water to keep them from being too dry--HOWEVER, back off from the oven when you open the door as the steam from the water can burn.
    :flowerforyou: :smile: :wink: :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Can someone help me? I'm almost completely inept in the kitchen :laugh: , and I want to bake chicken breasts. At what temp and for how lond do I bake them? Any tips? Should I try to tenderize the breasts to flatten them a bit, maybe it'll be easier to cook that way? Also, if anyone has any healthy recipes, that'd be great too! I've looked online and most of what I seem to come up with is recipes with creamy sauces, or bacon, or both. :laugh:

Good for you to learn to cook....that's the best way to know what's going in your mouth...not sure what your really looking for...but here are a couple of links:

Spicy chicken: you could probably substitue chicken breast:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1591042

Chicken Picata
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1227898
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    350 'til it's done. Chick breast can get dry, so don't overcook. Maybe supplement moisture with some sauce that you like. I like Buffalo Wing sauce, my wife likes Teriyaki, the boys like BBQ. Just about any salad dressing will do a good job.

I like to cover my broiler pan with foil first - keeps the cleanup easy. Just peel the foil and toss.
  • poeticjustice_2001
    Options
    get a lowfat marinade also. fat free/diet italian dressing works. but also olive oil (like extra virgin) is a great quick marinade (maybe an hour in your fridge) to keep the chicken moist during cooking. Makes them juicy instead of dry or rubbery.

Maybe invest in a small george foreman grill? mine wasn't expensive at all ($30?) and can cook 2 breasts at a time, like 15 minutes, and so healthy. It's been a life saver!

Make sure you look at the nutritional facts of marinades and seasoning out there. Alot of them are VERY high in sugar and sodium- which is baaaad.

Good luck, hope it turns out great :)
  • toots99
    Options
    Thanks for the help! :flowerforyou:

One more question...do I need to flip the chicken while baking?

Told ya, I'm inept! :laugh:
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    I am the same way. I just throw it in the oven and use a thermometer to make sure it is cooked all the way.
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    I am the same way. I just throw it in the oven and use a thermometer to make sure it is cooked all the way.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    here is my favorite baked boneless chicken breast recipe.

Easy peasy.

put a bit of BBQ sauce in the bottom of a glass baking dish

salt and peper the chicken breast and put on top of the sauce

put more sauce on top

You can grill some onions and put on top at this point (DH likes it) but I do not

sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese and bacon bits (fresh made is prefered, but the real bacon bits are good too) on top of the cheese.

I bake for 25 min on 350 degrees then check to see if done.

If I have extra calories for the day I put a tsp of sour cream on top, but it is delish without!!

I have also been known to bake with lemon, or lime, or salsa, or tomatoe sauce.

OH...with the tomato sauce you can cut up an kind of veggies and put around the breast, then pour the sauce.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    The top side will get a little dryer, and the bottom side will stay a little moister. I like to flip it about 2/3 of the way through the cookin' just to get it a little brown & crusty on both sides.

Here's something fun - super healthy cordon bleu

pound a chix breast out flat & thin,
    Lay on half a slice of thin ham (there's about 15 extra calories).
    Put on a little lite cheese. Some laughing cow, a little brie, thin slice of provolone, whatever ya' got handy (30 more calories - Ooohhh!! :wink: ).
    Roll up and fasten with toothpick
    Dust with parsley flakes, black pepper, maybe a little garlic, whatever you like - bake, enjoy.

Excellent, outstanding stuff, and maybe 220 calories. Worth it,,,
  • debbishu
    Options
    Howdy! I just created a chicken recipe this week!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    * 2-3 boneless chicken breasts, cut in 1/2 or 1/3
    * 1 cup chicken broth (organic if possible)
    * 1 can diced tomatoes (real or organic if possible), include juice
    * 2-3 cloves of garlic
    * 3-6 bay leaves or sprinkle oregano in the mix
    * 1 small to medium cubed zuccini

Put all ingredients into an oven safe bowl / dish, mix well. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until pink juice doesn't appear when poked with a fork. Sea salt / pepper to taste.

You can have whole grain rice as a side or a green vegetable.

Good luck!
    Deb
  • toots99
    Options
    I love these recipes! Thanks!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I will say that the best thing I invested in was my George Forman grill. I had the little one, does 2 breast or burgers at a time so much I bought the big one with removable plates.

I do up 6 chicken breasts on sunday. chop up a few, slice up a few and keep 1-2 whole. During the week I make my salad and add 3-4 oz of chicken breast! Mmmmmmmmmm good
  • poeticjustice_2001
    Options
    you can cover the dish with aluminum foil to keep moisture in so it doesn't dry out.

Or you can pull the chicken out at 10 minute intervals to baist or spoon drippings or sauce from the dish over it, but that's alot of work for something that's not a thanksgiving turkey!

good luck..
  • brwnsgr
    Options
    I don't bake my chicken breasts, I normally cook them on the stove

spray pan with cooking spray
    season chicken breasts and place thawed breast in pan on a medium heat
    let first side brown and flip.

Chicken breasts turn out to be super moist and juicy.
  • clipsychic
    Options
    Very nice tips! Thanks all!
  • angiereid
    Options
    take frozen chicken put zesty mrs dash marinade no sodium added(i use garlic and herb) and if you have a food steamer it works great got mine at jcpenny's for like 30 bucks steam about 60 min and the chicken is awesome very tender and very moist, afterwards place a piece of swiss chz a little bit of sauce and maybe some ravioili or pasta to go with it bingo you have grilled chicken parm or steamed depending on your taste. i eat a like 3-5 ravioli with mine and use classico sauce tomato and basil it has 50 calories for 1/2 cup good luck