anyone else have copd and trouble exercising?

Options
gayje
gayje Posts: 230 Member
I have copd and it's so dang hard to do as much cardio as I need to do to loose the weight I gained during a 6 month prednisone therapy treatment. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat that may have some ideas? What did or didn't work/help you in your weight loss journey.

Anyone who has ANY lung disease is welcomed to give input as well as anyone who doesn't ;-)

Replies

• gayje
    Options
    bump

I know I'm not the only one with a lung disease...am I?
  • stfuandrun
    stfuandrun Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't have a chronic lung disease but I wanted to come give you some encouragement. First off, it's AWESOME that you are getting out there and exercising. Seriously, kudos to you. Secondly, (I'm not sure if you're just starting so forgive me) when you first start exercising with a chronic lung disease, you won't be able to go very far without becoming fatigued and short of breath (as I'm sure you've noticed). If you keep doing what you're doing, you will build your endurance and be able to do more. Remember to take breaks if you need them to catch your breath and to regain strength.

Just keep at it and it will get better! You rock!
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I don't have COPD, but I've had severe asthma since birth, bad enough that I seem to end up in the hospital at least once every cold/flu season. I can also sympathize with the prednisone treatment---hate the stuff.

I agree with the advice to start slowly and add more as you're able to do so. I started with some of the shorter, simpler Leslie Sansone videos and have been able to gradually progress to longer, more difficult ones. It's reallly hard to find the balance between pushing myself to progress and not pushing too hard and having a bad asthma attack. I pay close attention to my breathing and, if it becomes too labored, I just follow along as best I can without trying to keep up with the pace of the exercise video. It seems to be working so far. It's a little disappointing not to be able to progress faster, but I'm grateful that I can do any exercise at all.

Also, I always use my rescue inhaler before starting a workout.
  • gayje
    Options
    I do use my rescue inhaler prior to exercising but, even though I'm eating my 1200 calories and NOT eating back all my exercise calories, I've only lost 2 pounds in the first month. It's discouraging because I am working out to the best of my body's ability and I still don't see results :-(
  • stfuandrun
    stfuandrun Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    2 lbs is a great loss! That's 1/2 lb a week. You are doing great, just keep at it!
  • rmoga99
    rmoga99 Posts: 37
    Options
    I want to echo what everyone else has said. Keep at the cardio, do what you can and take breaks when you need them. 2 lbs is good progress, rapid weight loss may not be sustainable. You may add resistance training to your workouts, this can help burn extra calories and can be less strenuous on the cardiovascular system. I would NOT stop the cardiovascular exercise, the stamina you are building can add years to your life and the health of your lungs. Also, with your COPD one of the best things is to quit smoking (if you have not already, or perhaps you are a victim of second hand smoke in which case they should quit smoking).
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My mom was diagnosed with COPD a few years ago. She has never smoked even one cigarette, but her father was a heavy smoker.
  • gayje
    Options
    You know, I do have this Marcy something-or-other brand home gym just hanging out in my garage. My aunt was paying to store it and needed to lower monthly expenses so I offered to let her store it in my garage. She ended up giving it to me and it's never been used. Not by her or myself. I have been thinking about reading the users manual and talking with my pulmonologist about using it but I'm sad to say I don't know HOW to lift weights or work on a total home gym AT ALL. I've never had the exposure to it and it kind of intimidates me. I know, crazy isn't it?

My goal this week will be to familiarize myself with this gyms capabilities and what I'm willing to begin on it.

Wow, that felt good to type, lol!
  • cejubitz
    cejubitz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you would be a great candidate for a pulmonary rehab program. Ask your PCP about it!
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I do use my rescue inhaler prior to exercising but, even though I'm eating my 1200 calories and NOT eating back all my exercise calories, I've only lost 2 pounds in the first month. It's discouraging because I am working out to the best of my body's ability and I still don't see results :-(

maybe that is my problem too ... I hate asthma
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you would be a great candidate for a pulmonary rehab program. Ask your PCP about it!

totally agree. You need to attend a pulmonary rehab programme which will teach you about pacing and breathing control and chest clearance techniques. They need to be run by physiotherapists/ physical therrapists rather than personal trainers as it needs someone to have the expertise and knowledge of chronic lung conditions.

lifestyle modifications such as smoking cessation and a good diet also help
  • lesa0915
    lesa0915 Posts: 6
    Options
    BUMP ........................Glad I am not the only one dealing with COPD
  • RHeishman
    RHeishman Posts: 32
    Options
    I was diagnosed with a COPD about 16 years ago. I quit smoking 14 years ago. Today, I am exercising and changing how I eat.
    I am 47 years old. I was diagnosed with Chronic Brochitis. The doctor told me that a COPD gradually worsens as we grow older.
    However, a COPD is not a death sentence. I am a firm believer that we can change our own bodies. I believe that the key to success is diet and nutritiion. I personally have watched someone diagnosed when she was 78 years old with Emphasema and Lung Cancer stage 4. She is 82 years old today. No chemotherapy and no radiation. Her philosophy was to enjoy what she has left. And she is. So, what has she done you ask?
    She is eathing much better, LOTS of greens. I have read many articles that say the foods we eat can heal what ever our problems may be. In fact Susan Summers wrote a book on it. She talks about what the doctors don't want us to know; that we don't need all these pills and medications or treatments. I think she is on to something. Face it, doctors make money from sick people.
    The woman I am speaking about is my mother. Yes, she is having some problems now. But they gave her a death sentence almost 4 years ago. I thank God she is still here. And I think if it wasn't for the healthy eating, she wouldn't be.
    So I am learning to eat better. It's a process, a slow one. But with my COPD, I am doing fine. I am running 3 1/2 miles. Longest distance was almost 5 miles and I did that in just about 1 hour. Not bad for someone with a COPD huh? Yes, I have good days and I have bad. Your body will talk to you and let you know. But seriously, healthy eating and exercise. A COPD does not have to hold you down.
  • mommysean
    mommysean Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi I too have COPD and asthma. I also suffered through 4 years of prednisone. I gained 100 lbs while on that nasty drug. Got cushings too. I have now been off of the prednisone for 4 years and still have quite a bit of weight (60lbs) to lose. Hats off to your for being on top of the issue with weight gain while taking prednisone. I do know and wish I had known when I was taking prednisone that high GI carbs are not good and not metabilized well while taking it. Eat fresh veggies and fruits for your carbs. Pulmonary rehab is a great idea! I went and learned a lot. I have just started Leslie Sansone videos. I can do it and only make it through 1 mile at this time but I just started this week so I have only completed the 1 mile 2 times so far. I have oxygen so that helps and I am hoping that if I continue to do it everyday I will progress. :happy:
  • Squashypig
    Squashypig Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have Emphysema and Lupus. I have never taken any exercise in my life apart from when I did a couple of years at karate about 20 years ago. Therefore, it was a big shock to my lungs and joints when I bought an exercise bike a couple of months ago!! At first it was hell and I could hardly manage a couple of minutes before I was breathless and aching. Now I can, if I feel like it, do 30 minutes of vigorous cycling and burn up to 420 calories. I wanted to start 30 day shred to try and get rid of my saggy belly but after 10 minutes of day 1 I was completely beaten and my joints flared up causing me much pain. I'm going to see my GP at the end of the week and I will be asking his advice on exercise and whether he thinks I may be able to build up to do 30 ds. In the meantime I know I'm helping my lungs by exercising them so will continue with the cycling.

Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have copd and it's so dang hard to do as much cardio as I need to do to loose the weight I gained during a 6 month prednisone therapy treatment. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat that may have some ideas? What did or didn't work/help you in your weight loss journey.

Anyone who has ANY lung disease is welcomed to give input as well as anyone who doesn't ;-)

I had a 4-month bout with bronchitis and asthma flares last fall. I am currently on advair and singulair daily. My RT told me to use my rescue inhaler before I exercise, and I do. There have been times that I have tightness in my chest when I get on the treadmill, but by the time I get off the treadmill I am much improved.
  • eperison
    Options
    Hi I too have COPD and asthma. I also suffered through 4 years of prednisone. I gained 100 lbs while on that nasty drug. Got cushings too. I have now been off of the prednisone for 4 years and still have quite a bit of weight (60lbs) to lose. Hats off to your for being on top of the issue with weight gain while taking prednisone. I do know and wish I had known when I was taking prednisone that high GI carbs are not good and not metabilized well while taking it. Eat fresh veggies and fruits for your carbs. Pulmonary rehab is a great idea! I went and learned a lot. I have just started Leslie Sansone videos. I can do it and only make it through 1 mile at this time but I just started this week so I have only completed the 1 mile 2 times so far. I have oxygen so that helps and I am hoping that if I continue to do it everyday I will progress. :happy:

OMG, cushings and prednisone are a bad combination. I live on those pills after having both adrenals out. They give me the cortisol I need.
  • cubba213
    cubba213 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am doing Prednisone now and diabetic... I do my cardio in the pool at the parks and recreation. I have diabetes, Severe COPD, CHF, kidney disease, sleep apnea. in the water you burn more and you don't feel it. now summers coming around we will go to the lake too, I have to wear a mask in public, I can stand 10 minutes, in the pool I can stand and bounce for a hour without losing breath, well maybe a little.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Depending on your symptoms, it is sometimes necessary to exercise for shorter duration and increased frequency. That can mean twice a day, or it can mean breaking up a single exercise session into multiple, shorter intervals.

I think you may be underestimating what an accomplishment it is to even lose a couple of pounds. COPD has a number of effects that disrupt metabolism and can lead to muscle wasting. Changes and improvement are possible, but the pace of improvement is very slow compared to those w/out COPD.

But regular exercise training is a critical part of your lifestyle and every minute you can do is providing important benefits. The personal testimonies included in this thread should be encouraging--results may come slowly, but they will come.