I feel full at 1200 cal?

Options
I'm 5'4 and 165 lbs, and I can eat clean healthy foods and feel full at 1200 calories. After reading all these "eat more weigh less" threads, I'm wondering if I will be able to lose weight eating this many calories a day? My bmr is 1500 and I know if I should eat at least that, but I don't want to force feed myself or feel overstuffed.

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    if ur full, dont eat any more if youre trying to lose weight... common sense here lol dont listen to these eat more to lose more people they actually arent eating more calories than they used to unless they have put a substantial amount of muscle mass it just feels like it because the food they eat is in a higher volume (ex. 1 cinnamon roll= 10 apples from a caloric standpoint)
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    if ur full, dont eat any more if youre trying to lose weight... common sense here lol dont listen to these eat more to lose more people they actually arent eating more calories than they used to unless they have put a substantial amount of muscle mass it just feels like it because the food they eat is in a higher volume (ex. 1 cinnamon roll= 10 apples from a caloric standpoint)

Broscience

I was eating 1200-1400 calories a day and not losing a pound for 9 months. I upped to near 3k calories and have lost 23 *shrug*
  • monty619
    Options

Broscience

I was eating 1200-1400 calories a day and not losing a pound for 9 months. I upped to near 3k calories and have lost 23 *shrug*

which part of what i said is broscience? the muscle part? lol

ur hormones were probably out of wack from not exercising and when you started to mobilize muscle tissue you had a higher caloric burn on a daily which enabled you to eat more food
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Yeah, looking back I wish I had tracked my calories before I started eating better so I knew how many calories I was truly consuming. I think I was just eating more unhealthy food that was higher in calories and lower in volume like you said, and now I feel like I'm eating too much when it's turning out to be 1000-1200 cals.
  • fiveohmike
    Options

Broscience

ur hormones were probably out of wack from not exercising and when you started to mobilize muscle tissue you had a higher caloric burn on a daily which enabled you to eat more food

I was exercising 4 days a week at 1200-1400 calories a day....not a lb lost ( and technically i went from 283 - 310lbs in that timeframe).

No I am 288 after 10 weeks of eating near 3k calories.

Your broscience is saying that they are eating the same calories. Not true in the slightest. That is broscience.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I think its my turn to get the popcorn ready.....
  • greatthursday
    Options
    I am on the fence about the "eat more to weigh less" but I am about ready to try it. I have been in a plateau for a month or two, but I am still not convinced it was not due to poor habits.

Even so, I know how you feel, OP! I have been trying to eat at least my BMR (1475) but am having difficulty even when I exercise around an hour and a half each day (or at least try to be active). It doesn't seem to work... I am just too full! And I am not making significant low calorie subs. I eat butter and oils and real sugar. Oh well!
  • monty619
    Options

Broscience

I was exercising 4 days a week at 1200-1400 calories a day....not a lb lost ( and technically i went from 283 - 310lbs in that timeframe).

Your broscience is saying that they are eating the same calories. Not true in the slightest. That is broscience.

congrats on ur weight loss... but that still doesnt mean u didnt create a caloric defecit to lose the weight lol.. and i still dont understand what ur saying about the broscience... im saying for someone who isnt tracking their caloric intake that it may seem like they are eating more which in reality they are not.. hence why the author of the question agreed with me.
  • fiveohmike
    Options

Broscience

congrats on ur weight loss... but that still doesnt mean u didnt create a caloric defecit to lose the weight lol.. and i still dont understand what ur saying about the broscience... im saying for someone who isnt tracking their caloric intake that it may seem like they are eating more which in reality they are not.. hence why the author of the question agreed with me.

Maybe Im not reading it right lol so many people quick to bash on things today, including me evidently.

I read it as "People who do Eat more to lose weight arent really eating more blah blah" heh
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    I just still cant explain why I was not losing weight eating (1200-1400) calories...which according to Scooby, my Fitbit and my Bodymedia fit, would have been a 2300 + calorie deficit daily *shrug*
  • maryaroy32
    maryaroy32 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think its my turn to get the popcorn ready.....

Lol
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think this "eat more to weigh less" business is MFP broscience. You lose weight by having a caloric deficit. Period. End of story. You can create the deficit by eating less, exercising more, or a combo of both. And honestly, I've been doing some reading - and I"m not convinced of any sort of metabolic disruption with low caloric intake and it certainly isn't going to happen with a month of dieting. I think the so called "starvation mode" is a farce.

To the OP..... I agree with the first poster. If you are good with 1200..... then don't force yourself to eat more. If you lose weight, it's working. If you don't... then switch something up..... cycle calories, cycle carbs, increase exercise, increase protein intake, try IF, increase calories slightly, decrease calories slightly. In the end we are only ever ESTIMATING calories in and out. It is impossible to actually know the real numbers. So it stands to reason that this is a big experiment and you need to find what works for you.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to "eat more" add some healthy calorie dense foods.
    1 oz of nuts can get you 160-170 calories. Greek yogurt can give you 120.
    Those two would be enough to get you up to 1500 without eating a lot more.

ETA, yes eat more, weigh less has been working wonders for me. I ate 1200 calories for a long time. When it started taking me weeks to lose .5 I decided to try eating more, and bam I have 5 pounds to my goal. I have lost more the last 2 months than I had the previous 3. Also I had a close friend tell me that I seemed a lot happier and perkier, the only thing I had changed was to eat a little more. For me I will eat 1800 and lose a pound a week vs 1200 and lose a pound a month any day of the week!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just still cant explain why I was not losing weight eating (1200-1400) calories...which according to Scooby, my Fitbit and my Bodymedia fit, would have been a 2300 + calorie deficit daily *shrug*

Your body has defense mechanism, such as cortisol, that will make it harder to lose weight. I was the same way, i track my calories every day and ate 1800 calories, didnt lose a lb, inch or % of body fat. I upped it to 2600 calories and with the second 90 days i lost 11lbs, 6" and 3% body fat. Sometimes a deficit alone cant help. And if your body isnt fulled, it wont lose.

OP, keep in mind that your body cant tell the difference between 2000 calories and 1200 calories, its all based on volume. You will feel just as full with a 1/2 lb of meat as you would with a 1/2 lb of carrots. If you cant get enough calories you have to eat more calorie dense food; peanuts, avocado, cooking with extra virgin olive oil or even eating peanut butter out of the jar (my personal favorite). Also protein shakes like muscle milk (300 calories per two scoops) can provide good healthy calories. High calories does not mean unhealthy. I eat 3000 clean calories.
  • monty619
    Options

i can... ur hormones were out of wack (testosterone, growth hormone, cortisol, etc.) especially if cortisol (stress hormone) is high from being on a low calorie diet the body will refuse to shed weight so the body has to be comfortable in order to lose weight... now that your body has reached a point where it is healthy and comfortable with the caloric intake it will seemingly agree with you to lose unnecessary weight in order to become more efficient... this is why eating more calories works sometimes for people.

however, for someone who knows the appropriate macros and caloric intake that their body needs, there is only one way to go... and that is down in caloric intake. One must do it slowly in order for the body not to react in a negative way and stall weight loss because of the stress put on the body by restricting too many calories at one time. its all about manipulating hormones which still relates to calories in VS calories out.
  • thuy5
    thuy5 Posts: 22
    Options
    Do what works for you, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Most people have gone the eat more to lose way because they have plateaued or stalled and needed to try something new to get the weight moving again.

Or simply had hungers greater than 1200 calories.

If 1200 works than why question it until it doesn't?
  • fiveohmike
    Options

i can... ur hormones were out of wack (testosterone, growth hormone, cortisol, etc.) especially if cortisol (stress hormone) is high from being on a low calorie diet the body will refuse to shed weight so the body has to be comfortable in order to lose weight... now that your body has reached a point where it is healthy and comfortable with the caloric intake it will seemingly agree with you to lose unnecessary weight in order to become more efficient... this is why eating more calories works sometimes for people.

however, for someone who knows the appropriate macros and caloric intake that their body needs, there is only one way to go... and that is down in caloric intake. One must do it slowly in order for the body not to react in a negative way and stall weight loss because of the stress put on the body by restricting too many calories at one time. its all about manipulating hormones which still relates to calories in VS calories out.

I am off my game, I was trying to be sarcastic haha that failed. I now know exactly what you are saying. From when I started (310) to now (288) my calorie intake has lowered by about 140/day or so. I recalc every 5lbs, plus my bodymedia FIT is following suit on its own.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm starting to think this "eat more to weigh less" business is MFP broscience. You lose weight by having a caloric deficit. Period. End of story. You can create the deficit by eating less, exercising more, or a combo of both. And honestly, I've been doing some reading - and I"m not convinced of any sort of metabolic disruption with low caloric intake and it certainly isn't going to happen with a month of dieting. I think the so called "starvation mode" is a farce.

To the OP..... I agree with the first poster. If you are good with 1200..... then don't force yourself to eat more. If you lose weight, it's working. If you don't... then switch something up..... cycle calories, cycle carbs, increase exercise, increase protein intake, try IF, increase calories slightly, decrease calories slightly. In the end we are only ever ESTIMATING calories in and out. It is impossible to actually know the real numbers. So it stands to reason that this is a big experiment and you need to find what works for you.

Its not broscience. Its simply understanding that your body has nutritional requirements in order to function and push yourself during workouts. If you want to evaluate this eat for a month at 1200 calories and do strength training. Track all your reps and how you feel. Then eat 1700 calories and see if you can increase weight.

I know you will increase weight/strength as i have done this experiment on several mfp people without telling them why and they all came back with the same response a few days later. I have more energy, i increase the weights and feel better. Its not to say you cant lose off of 1200 calories but your body will fight you at some point.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Its not broscience. Its simply understanding that your body has nutritional requirements in order to function and push yourself during workouts. If you want to evaluate this eat for a month at 1200 calories and do strength training. Track all your reps and how you feel. Then eat 1700 calories and see if you can increase weight.

I know you will increase weight/strength as i have done this experiment on several mfp people without telling them why and they all came back with the same response a few days later. I have more energy, i increase the weights and feel better. Its not to say you cant lose off of 1200 calories but your body will fight you at some point.

With all due respect, you are confusing weight loss and fat loss with strength training. Apples and oranges my friend. To weigh less you must create a deficit.
  • fiveohmike
    Options

With all due respect, you are confusing weight loss and fat loss with strength training. Apples and oranges my friend. To weigh less you must create a deficit.

And would you agree that eating above your BMR and below your TDEE creates a deficit?