A low sodium/low calorie condiment for grilled chicken?

Options
I eat grilled chicken every night for dinner. And no, I do not tire of it. However, I would like to add a condiment. In the past, I've used Pace Medium Salsa or A1 but both are LOADED with sodium. Any suggestions? Not crazy about marinades.

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    hot sauce
  • jpfrimmer
    jpfrimmer Posts: 134
    Options
    Look up Penzey's, it's a spice company and they have a TON of very good spices/rubs that are completely salt free! I also eat grilled chicken quite often and I use these almost every time. I recommend the Forward spice and Arizona Dreaming. They have a lot of options though. Also, they are 0 calorie.
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    French's honey mustard or clint's salsa has very low sodium (under 100 per 2tbsp)
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Oh and mix honey, paprika and regular mustard. Yummy to put on baked chicken breast.
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I like peanut sauce. It's 240 mg sodium per Tbs, so I just use a little!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Fat free yogurt mixed with spices. Depends on what kind of spices you like. Lemon juice, red onion, fresh rosemary and Italian parsley is a good choice. Or garam masala.
  • foodietrudie
    Options
    Hot sauce or mustard
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I like lemon juice, and fresh herbs. Also what about mustard? Dijon, brown, whole grain, etc.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    a few of the bolthouse farms yogurt dressings are low cal and low sodium, they are yummy!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Wing Time sauce only has 40mg of sodium per 2 TBS. You can get it at The Fresh Market or online.
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Green salsa!! Super low cal, shockingly. Its avocado, cucumber, jalapenos, cilantro, and salt pepper to taste.

* and lime :)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Make your own salsa! You could can it!
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    edgsdgsdgergewg.jpg

This picture is a few weeks old when I had to clean out the fridge, but I have so many different flavors of hot sauce chicken taste different to me everyday... 90% of my sauces are 0-10 calories per serving and 0-200 sodium mg per serving, but a lot of them are 0 mgs . as long as you don't use that salt filled hot sauce from the grocery store you can't go wrong (ps Capsaicin is said to speed your metabolism and increase the full feeling... this is found in hot peppers)
    hotsauce.com
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I mix a teaspoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and black pepper and sprinkle that on chicken. Sometimes I will brush some lemon juice on the chicken first.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of chicken too and I'm on a low sodium diet for medical reasons. I found that even raw chicken has sodium added to it so now I buy organic. It costs more but it lowers my daily sodium intake. I add Walmart's Great Value brand of southwestern spicy mustard. It is really good, adds a ton of flavor, it's not really hot and is super low in sodium and may not even have any in it. I'm not positive and I'd check for you but I don't have it where I'm at now. It's in the data base here so you can check it.

Oops, I forgot to add that when I roast mine (in a rotisserie, on the grill or oven), I use a mixture of 4 parts paprika, 2 parts onion powder, 1 part garlic powder (or fresh garlic), fresh ground pepper, some fresh parsley and enough olive oil to make a thick paste. Then I rub it all over the chicken and under the breast skin. You can also just spray the chicken with Pam and the sprinkle the seasonings on it.

I've also used rosemary, lemon zest, garlic and olive oil.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    edgsdgsdgergewg.jpg

I approve of this picture.

OP: Make your own salsa.
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    What about some bbq sauce? I've never really checked the salt content on it.

I don't use condiments on my chicken because of the seasonings I use. I was looking in my cabinet after you posted this out of curiosity and some of our grilling seasonings are really low sodium and some are neutral sodium wise.

The lowest sodium one was the big surprise to me I thought it would be one of the highest. Oh and they are all 0 calories.

Weber's Kickin Chicken gives it a nice spicy taste and its only 65 mg sodium
    Lemon pepper was 80mg
    Lawry's Garlic salt was 240mg but 5th seasons garlic salt was 530 ouch!!!
    Plain bbq seasoning winn-dixie brand 65mg
    Seasoning salt 340mg
    Famous Daves bbq 230 mg

What about honey mustard? I know restaurants usually offer that as a sauce for grilled chicken sandwiches.